Brown Rice. Will it make me fat?

BookMan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cook half a cup of brown rice at a time....maybe twice a week.

Just enough for two servings....i will eat a serving roughly the size of my fist. So it covers me for two meals....

My ratio of veggies to brown rice on a plate is roughly 2:1

Seems to work well.

Just my few cents. It is very important to have a balance in everything including our meal. Balance diet should consist of vegetables, proteins (substitute with protein vegetables for vegetarian), fruits and carbs.

Carbs are important to our body to activate the metabolic so we should not avoid it but choosing the right carbs and also eating the right amount. Breakfast is good and should never skip your breakfast. I used to skip breakfast for the last 20 years and now I have the habit of eating healthy breakfast.

Some of the food that i always avoid is Sugar. I drink coffee or tea without sugar. I don't drink soft drinks. It is also not advisable to drink fruit juice even for no sugar added fruit juice. It takes about 4-6 oranges to makes one cup of orange juice and it is too much of sugar in it. Cut down on alcohol if you do drink..

Also avoid processed food such as instant oats, sausages, bacon, pop corns, chips, fries, burgers and eat. Oh.. i often see many people on diet taking salads with alot of dressing. That is not good too... good salad dressing should be balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil.

These are the food that i usually eat and avoid to eat. Occasionally i do reward myself with some nice food but never over eating it.

French fries and instant oats are both pretty healthy. Good fibre, lots of vits and minerals. I certainly agree about soft drinks, fruit juices, and mayonnaise.

The reason I said fries and instant oat is not good because it is a processed food. For fries it has alot of seasoning and often deep fried in oil. So usually I will opt for sweet potato even higher fiber but have to control how much we eat as the sugar level is higher than potato.

Instant oat is processed too. So better alternative is to eat roll oats.. But the texture is very hard..even myself don't like it.. Haha

Go for the riceberry, it is considered the most healthy rice available.

I cook it mixed 50/50 with brown rice.

i might get some of that tomorrow and give it a try

be aware that there is some mediocre quality around. I always buy the Hon Thong, 100% organic and about 110 Baht/kg at Big C.

Go for the riceberry, it is considered the most healthy rice available.

I cook it mixed 50/50 with brown rice.

i might get some of that tomorrow and give it a try

be aware that there is some mediocre quality around. I always buy the Hon Thong, 100% organic and about 110 Baht/kg at Big C.

i was looking at it in big c the other day... they had some promotion going on

I cook half a cup of brown rice at a time....maybe twice a week.

Just enough for two servings....i will eat a serving roughly the size of my fist. So it covers me for two meals....

My ratio of veggies to brown rice on a plate is roughly 2:1

Seems to work well.

Reading through the comments it is apparent I am eating too much brown rice.

I have toned my rice down the last few days...

measuring out about 1 cup today

I always eat a lot of vegies so that is easy

It's good to see people wanting to look after themselves. I have always stuck by the rule that you can eat what you like (more or less) as long as you stay active, whether that be an active job, or an office type who uses the gym.

For those who have a sedentary lifestyle maybe through old age or disability, a healthy diet is important.

That said, my two grandads lead very different lives to each other. One always walked everywhere, smoked a pipe but if I remember correctly he didn't inhale, just smoked for taste. He also liked the odd pint of bitter. He ate normally.

My other grandad ate a full English breakfast cooked in lard every morning, smoked 40 Woodbine's a day, and drank whisky.

They both lived to decent ages, so I guess it's a lot down to individual metabolism as much as anything.

I also knew a guy that used to drink in my local and one sunday lunchtime he announced he was giving up the booze and going on a health kick. He used to jog past the pub each day so we saw him and sometimes gave him the Nescafe wave as he went by, returning the gesture.

Within a few months he was a gonner! His body could not take the change and that was that!

Apologies for going off topic regarding brown rice, my point is, what might be good for some, is not for others, but from what I have learned about white rice just on this thread, I will be switching to brown.

Regards

I started eating brown rice a few months ago ,I always have a measured amount ,I feel full longer and not snack in between meals ,I have lost 5 kilo in about 3 months ,I am not trying to loose weight but am happy that I have ,I exercise daily,I think brown rice is tastier

I started eating brown rice a few months ago ,I always have a measured amount ,I feel full longer and not snack in between meals ,I have lost 5 kilo in about 3 months ,I am not trying to loose weight but am happy that I have ,I exercise daily,I think brown rice is tastier

Yes.. I totally agree with you. I will reduce the portion of my brown rice by at least a quarter compared to white rice and I still full.

I started a healthy diet plan last year, 3 meals a day, vegetables, boiled/grill chicken breast and rice and fruits is all I eat. No soft drinks and no junk food at all.. And I lost 6kg in 3 months... Sometime I even eat 4 meals a day because I can feel my metabolic is higher and I feel hungry faster. ..

Some people are big eater and it is not easy to cut down their meal, I will suggest you to continue to eat the same portion, but choosing the healthy food and also stay active and burn the calories that you eat everyday ..and you will see a bug difference in your health and body shape. Remember taking Sugar is always a big No No..

One of the reason to choose brown rice over white rice is because brown rice is more solid and takes longer time to digest..hence it will make you feel full longer ... And it will help you to eat lesser ...

When the body works harder to digest that burns calories.

That's why rare meat actually is in effect lower calorie than the same portion well done.

... Yes possibly, but as importantly it takes 3 times more calories to digest protein (meat) than carbohydrates (rice). And fats take the fewest calories to digest.

One of the reason to choose brown rice over white rice is because brown rice is more solid and takes longer time to digest..hence it will make you feel full longer ... And it will help you to eat lesser ...

When the body works harder to digest that burns calories.

That's why rare meat actually is in effect lower calorie than the same portion well done.

... Yes possibly, but as importantly it takes 3 times more calories to digest protein (meat) than carbohydrates (rice). And fats take the fewest calories to digest.

True, fat needs less energy to digest but a small amount of fat is very filling.

Many of us have gone along with the reduced fat, high carb diet and been on that for years.

Therefore it is hard to make effective changes.

However, try swallowing a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil first thing.

Then wash and dress etc.

Maybe then have tea or coffee.

Then think about how hungry you now feel.

The urge to eat may well be reduced so what ever you decide to eat next will take less to satisfy you.

Therefore less calories over all, week by week, and therefore some weight reduction.

Incidentally, some plants have mechanisms that cause them to absorb more or less minerals/heavy metals than others.

It seems that rice, organic or not, likes to absorb arsenic!

Is rice safe to eat? Is it safe for children to eat?

Rice is an important staple for many people, and the arsenic levels that FDA found in the samples it evaluated were too low to cause any immediate or short-term adverse health effects. All consumers, including pregnant women, infants and children, are encouraged to eat a well-balanced diet for good nutrition and to minimize potential adverse consequences from consuming an excess of any one food.

Full story: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm319948.htm

A little Google will yield many results.

Brown rice still has the fibrous husk as opposed to processed white rice. Thus the number of metabolic steps to sugar is increased.

White rice on the other hand, metabolizes almost immediately to sugar.

All 'Carbs' eventually metabolize to sugar . Excessive digestion of Carbs without enough exercise to balance the sugar input will lead to the body to store the excess as fat.

Contrary to popular myth eating Fat will Not make you fat

did read an interesting research about FAT and Sugar.

Fat VS Sugar

Diet of fat only kills you slowly will provide a signal when eat too much and you stop eating.

Diet based on sugar kills you only will provide a signal when eat too much and you stop eating.

in both you will lose wight in a month

and after more than one month you will have starting to develop problems that can become irreversible on the sugar and on the fat diet.each a different range of problems

FAT AND Suger

the combination of Sugar and Fat is dangerous it makes you not stop eaten.

this is making you fat and looking for more

like in ice cream glace donuts the perfect examples

also fruit drinks like the diary product or other so called healthy product have in general more sugar and or fat due to is concentrated.

So to come back to the question

does brown rice make fat?

depend on what you use and how you prepare.

Thai kitchen uses a lot of salt and depending on the meal also a lot of added sugar in many products when they cook.

So it is a yes and no depending on the way how it prepared and it is consumed.

You're probably eating all that rice to fill your stomach. Why not cut some and replace with vegetables?

Actually cutting all kinds of carbs in not such a bad thing. The body will always burn them before it touches fat stores. I tried the paleo diet but I love my bread too much lol

Glycemic Index........your best friend in figuring out what food is best for you......take into consideration your body habitus and lifestyle......in time science will figure out every human body is not the same. some do well with hi carbs...some do well well with hi protein and hi fat....I do well with hi protein and fat.....others the opposite.......genes and lifestyle.....Thailand is good as you can cheaply monitor your blood chems.....

You also have to be careful what kind of brown rice you're talking about -- the traditional western style or the Thai Jasmine brown rice version.

I don't know about weight gain... But when I was researching on this subject a while back, it turned out that Thai Jasmine brown rice raises your blood glucose levels pretty much as fast as eating regular white Jasmine brown rice, which is not a good thing. Jasmine brown rice apparently doesn't have the same slower to digest attributes as western style brown rice.

Brown rice is nutritionally superior, has less calories and higher in fiber. White rice was formally brown rice before going through a refining process. After this refining, white rice is almost void of nutrition. Manufacturers then "enrich" the white rice with unnatural fortifications.

Bottom LIne: Brown rice is natural and much healthier. Tastes better too thumbsup.gif

(Google is always your best friend. Just "Google"...white rice vs brown rice)

You also have to be careful what kind of brown rice you're talking about -- the traditional western style or the Thai Jasmine brown rice version.

I don't know about weight gain... But when I was researching on this subject a while back, it turned out that Thai Jasmine brown rice raises your blood glucose levels pretty much as fast as eating regular white Jasmine brown rice, which is not a good thing. Jasmine brown rice apparently doesn't have the same slower to digest attributes as western style brown rice.

What is western style brown rice? Is there a western country that grows rice?

What is western style brown rice? Is there a western country that grows rice?

long grain or medium grain brown.... i know what he is saying.

here in thailand i have been having the jasmine brown ricw so i am glad for the post.

ill find some other brown...

Will it make me fat?

You tell us...you've been eating it for two years - have you put on any weight?

Will it make me fat?

You tell us...you've been eating it for two years - have you put on any weight?

cannot say if brown has added weight.overall no i havent gained any weight...

but...

i have cut out various other foods from my diet but might be overdoing the brown...

it is just my gut that is the issue.

i am 182cm and 82kg

Brown rice is definitely healthier but eating huge quantities (e.g. the 4 cups mentioned) will still make you fat.

Have you actually tried it? As I find it hard to imagine eating 4 cups of it at a serving. It is more filling and less quickly metabolized than white rice so most people eat less of it than they would of white rice, which is basically pure sugar.

This alone is a benefit but there are others in the form of more vitamins and minerals and fiber. White rice is stripped of pretty much everything except calories.

Archived