Brown Rice. Will it make me fat?

BookMan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general for most people brown rice in moderation for most people is an excellent choice for providing nutrition as part of a balanced diet.

There is no doubt that it is a better choice than white rice.

Cheers!

Not so fast. In the real world there's actually compelling reasons to prefer white rice over brown and the nutritional content is virtually the same in most comparisons. We've covered a lot of this in the past and I don't want to repeat it here, but this guy has it summed up very well:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

Will it make me fat?

You tell us...you've been eating it for two years - have you put on any weight?

cannot say if brown has added weight.overall no i havent gained any weight...

but...

i have cut out various other foods from my diet but might be overdoing the brown...

it is just my gut that is the issue.

i am 182cm and 82kg

Measurements like that don't tell us a lot. You could be fat or lean with those measurements depending on how much muscle you carry. I'm the same height at around 100kg, but I'm actually quite lean. At your measurements I'd be way underweight.

Thanks Sheryl. I dont eat sugar, or didnt know i did until i read your reply about white rice basically being sugar.

So if im trying to lose weight i shouldnt eat white rice?

There are no secrets to loosing weight.

Just eat less (much less) and exercise more (much more) !

Not eating white rice may be part of the solution but in reality will make little difference if total dietary intake is not modified.

It is 2 cups or it is MORE than two cups!

Why do the obese have a mental block concerning simple quantitative measurement of foodstuffs ?

That's why i said 2-2.5 cups i generally have... I don 't actually measure it every time

Have you gotten over your mental block old boy?

Why not just admit to stacking the plate and making a wild guess about the quantity actually consumed.

There are many academic studies which demonstrate that fat people always 'underestimate' the actual amount of food they consume.

Just curious, Jim-boy, would you speak to someone face-to-face the way you have to Bookman from the anonymous safety of your keyboard?

Just asking, of course...really, think about it.

Thanks Sheryl. I dont eat sugar, or didnt know i did until i read your reply about white rice basically being sugar.

So if im trying to lose weight i shouldnt eat white rice?

Saying it's sugar is hyperbole. It's not sugar until it is digested, beginning with salivary amylase, and continuing in the stomach and gut. Sugar is absorbed directly, and much faster.

As several have pointed out, glycemic load and glycemic index are important factors in how your body utilizes carbohydrates. The old calories in/calories out model is obsolete, and your metabolism is the key.

All that said, of course white rice, white bread, refined sugar are less than optimum foods for weight control. Adjusting your intake of them in favor of things your body uses well is a good approach for healthy living.

Overcoming the natural tendency to eat what immediately feels good takes some effort, but current thinking is that you can unlearn those behaviors in about three weeks, with some instruction and support.

Keep at it, and keep learning.

Good luck.

Brown rice is definitely healthier but eating huge quantities (e.g. the 4 cups mentioned) will still make you fat.

---- white rice, which is basically pure sugar.

This alone is a benefit but there are others in the form of more vitamins and minerals and fiber. White rice is stripped of pretty much everything except calories.

Yes Sheryl; moderation in everything not just rice but have you seen the latest bad publicity about sugar virtually being poison? Think I read once that not even mice like "stripped" grains. I much prefer the flavour of whole grain rice but my Thai wife is a (lovely) creature of habit so continues to use mostly white.

She told me that some time back "our" beloved King recommended brown rice to the Thai people so i keep reminding/begging her about his wise advice, but she forgets. I have the greatest respect for my "adopted" King.

fatter than the fattest cow after eating 1,000,000 Big Macs with extra sauce...

fatter than the sun after it becomes a Red Giant!!!!

i look at brown rice and gain 100 kilos

i was a vegan for 11 minutes and brown rice put me into the darkest deepest bowels of h*ll.....

Just my few cents. It is very important to have a balance in everything including our meal. Balance diet should consist of vegetables, proteins (substitute with protein vegetables for vegetarian), fruits and carbs.

Carbs are important to our body to activate the metabolic so we should not avoid it but choosing the right carbs and also eating the right amount. Breakfast is good and should never skip your breakfast. I used to skip breakfast for the last 20 years and now I have the habit of eating healthy breakfast.

Some of the food that i always avoid is Sugar. I drink coffee or tea without sugar. I don't drink soft drinks. It is also not advisable to drink fruit juice even for no sugar added fruit juice. It takes about 4-6 oranges to makes one cup of orange juice and it is too much of sugar in it. Cut down on alcohol if you do drink..

Also avoid processed food such as instant oats, sausages, bacon, pop corns, chips, fries, burgers and eat. Oh.. i often see many people on diet taking salads with alot of dressing. That is not good too... good salad dressing should be balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil.

These are the food that i usually eat and avoid to eat. Occasionally i do reward myself with some nice food but never over eating it.

One can clearly feel a sad man in a rational and sinister universe...

Just my few cents. It is very important to have a balance in everything including our meal. Balance diet should consist of vegetables, proteins (substitute with protein vegetables for vegetarian), fruits and carbs.

Carbs are important to our body to activate the metabolic so we should not avoid it but choosing the right carbs and also eating the right amount. Breakfast is good and should never skip your breakfast. I used to skip breakfast for the last 20 years and now I have the habit of eating healthy breakfast.

Some of the food that i always avoid is Sugar. I drink coffee or tea without sugar. I don't drink soft drinks. It is also not advisable to drink fruit juice even for no sugar added fruit juice. It takes about 4-6 oranges to makes one cup of orange juice and it is too much of sugar in it. Cut down on alcohol if you do drink..

Also avoid processed food such as instant oats, sausages, bacon, pop corns, chips, fries, burgers and eat. Oh.. i often see many people on diet taking salads with alot of dressing. That is not good too... good salad dressing should be balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil.

These are the food that i usually eat and avoid to eat. Occasionally i do reward myself with some nice food but never over eating it.

One can clearly feel a sad man in a rational and sinister universe...

More like you are referring to yourself ...

We are here to share ideas for a healthy diet not here to make jokes on others.

Eating too much piles on weight.. but brown rice is better as white rice. It releases it energy slower and has more vitamins and minerals. Still eating too much of it will make you fat, just like eating too much broccoli will do the same thing (just a lot harder to eat too much broccoli).

So its quite hard to say if it will make you fat without knowing how much you eat of it.

In reality even healthy food can make you fat, its the amount that counts in the end.

How much broccoli do you need to eat to get fat?

It is 2 cups or it is MORE than two cups!

Why do the obese have a mental block concerning simple quantitative measurement of foodstuffs ?

That's why i said 2-2.5 cups i generally have... I don 't actually measure it every time

Have you gotten over your mental block old boy?

Why not just admit to stacking the plate and making a wild guess about the quantity actually consumed.

There are many academic studies which demonstrate that fat people always 'underestimate' the actual amount of food they consume.

Just curious, Jim-boy, would you speak to someone face-to-face the way you have to Bookman from the anonymous safety of your keyboard?

Just asking, of course...really, think about it.

He's a known troll...he jumps into threads here and there and says offensive/provocative things trying to get a rise out of people. If everyone ignores him, he gets bored and finds a new thread in which to start trouble...

Eating too much piles on weight.. but brown rice is better as white rice. It releases it energy slower and has more vitamins and minerals. Still eating too much of it will make you fat, just like eating too much broccoli will do the same thing (just a lot harder to eat too much broccoli).

So its quite hard to say if it will make you fat without knowing how much you eat of it.

In reality even healthy food can make you fat, its the amount that counts in the end.

Kilo's.. did not say it would be easy to eat too much broccoli biggrin.png My point was that its about the caloric value in the end.. and too much of a good thing can make us fat.

There was a thread here on TV back in 2011 on the glycemic values for different varieties of rice and Thai rice.

I'll note, that relates to how fast the rice causes one's blood sugar to rise, and be a risk factor for diabetes. And I'll also note, from reading the scientific studies on this, there are MANY varieties of rice and the GI values can vary a lot on the same kind of rice from country to country.

But, here's the thread we had on that subject

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/436145-glycemic-index-of-rice-varieties/

Basically, Thai sticky rice in general is about the worst, pretty much like eating raw sugar in terms of GI impact. Thai Jasmine white rice is not as high as sticky rice (depending on which source numbers you're looking at), but still in the high GI category. And Thai Jasmine brown rice supposedly in pretty similar. In contrast, basmati rice and some varieties of dark/black and Japanese rice have much lower GI values.

post-58284-0-78683600-1457673693_thumb.j

post-58284-0-60216300-1457673701_thumb.j

The final two charts are from the glycemic index report for all different kinds of foods that was posted in the other TV thread linked above.

post-58284-0-73528200-1457673704_thumb.j

post-58284-0-45587400-1457673708_thumb.j

The Jasmine Brown rice thing has thrown a curly at me.

I should be able to source some Japanese Brown rice or other alternatives easily enough though

Someone else suggested mixing a 50/50 with the riceberry rice, so i will grab that also

just an observation most thais i know eat white rice 3/4 times a day, 7 days a week and ya dont see many fat thais about. oh and they heap sugar on every meal the eat. so perhaps someone can shed more light on this.

Only gluttony results in pilling on weight.

I suggest those who believe otherwise show evidence of the grossly obese Ethiopians who can be seen waddling around during one of that countries regular famines.

Ah, the simple view of the world is so pervasive! If only the world were so simple!

I am not sure when you were last in Ethiopia but the country is now much better off than when there was a famine in . . . now a different country called Eritrea. I have been in Ethiopia several times, both in the capital and up country. And surprise surprise I saw Ethiopians who were obese and many who were not. But as there has been no food crisis in Ethiopia for decades (since Eritrea was an Ethiopian province).

Gluttony, if by which you mean someone who eats much much more than "normal", does not now nor did it ever equate to obesity (piling on weight). A person who puts on weight can do so for a multitude of reasons, including age, change of diet, medication, change in the flora of the gut, to mention a few reasons. Some individuals never put on weight. Indeed, some who are true gluttons never put on weight. Some of these may never APPEAR to put on weight as they remain relatively slim but their fat goes onto their organs, especially liver - a very unhealthy scenario.

Some will put on weight if they have too much carbohydrate in their diet. Some who eat relatively little will put on weight if they drink a lot of certain kinds of alcohol and they are older. Some people who do not or cannot take exercise will put on excess weight even if their food intake is far from gluttonous.

As regards brown rice, it depends. If you are very susceptible to putting on weight because of high carb intake, be careful with the brown rice. The main benefit of brown rice in the diet is that it provides additional roughage and fills you up more than white rice. However, if you are on a high energy exercise program, you can eat brown rice as much as you like pretty much.

Brown rice is far far better option than white rice. But the thing to remember ANY excess calories will turn to fat, the real answer is burn ALL ie exercise and or understand the quantity your consuming.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There was a thread here on TV back in 2011 on the glycemic values for different varieties of rice and Thai rice.

I'll note, that relates to how fast the rice causes one's blood sugar to rise, and be a risk factor for diabetes. And I'll also note, from reading the scientific studies on this, there are MANY varieties of rice and the GI values can vary a lot on the same kind of rice from country to country.

But, here's the thread we had on that subject

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/436145-glycemic-index-of-rice-varieties/

Basically, Thai sticky rice in general is about the worst, pretty much like eating raw sugar in terms of GI impact. Thai Jasmine white rice is not as high as sticky rice (depending on which source numbers you're looking at), but still in the high GI category. And Thai Jasmine brown rice supposedly in pretty similar. In contrast, basmati rice and some varieties of dark/black and Japanese rice have much lower GI values.

attachicon.gifPS0052.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0053.jpg

The final two charts are from the glycemic index report for all different kinds of foods that was posted in the other TV thread linked above.

attachicon.gifPS0054.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0055.jpg

I would question the integrity of this table, eg, potatos average in at 26.

Complex carbs metabolize more slowly, and are an ideal food source, particularly spuds which contain both soluble and insoluble fibre.

I've done some of the same searching, and likewise found it virtually impossible to find reliable, actionable GI info for some of the more non-mainstream rice varieties like those found in LOS. It's bad enough for mainstream rice varieties, where there are major GI variations even among the same types of rice. But get into the non mainstream varieties, and it's even worse.

Kilo's.. did not say it would be easy to eat too much broccoli biggrin.png My point was that its about the caloric value in the end.. and too much of a good thing can make us fat.

I reckon it would be impossible for anyone to get fat eating broccoli alone... unless you added cheese sauces, butter, or other oils. You just couldn't consume enough broccoli.

If you had to choose just one vegetable to lose weight, I'd go with potatoes.biggrin.png

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, as there is so much negativity surrounding the humble spud. It is a true super food. I wasn't aware of the high glycemic load, bit of a shocker that, however, comforting to note that it had no adverse effect on the bloke in the experiment. Makes me think that to some extent the quality and type of food is of much less importance than quantitry and frequency. In short most problems are caused by overeating.

If you had to choose just one vegetable to lose weight, I'd go with potatoes.biggrin.png

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, as there is so much negativity surrounding the humble spud. It is a true super food. I wasn't aware of the high glycemic load, bit of a shocker that, however, comforting to note that it had no adverse effect on the bloke in the experiment. Makes me think that to some extent the quality and type of food is of much less importance than quantitry and frequency. In short most problems are caused by overeating.

I love potatoes. I did a 1 hour postprandial blood sugar reading after a huge plate of mashed potatoes and peas (plus 5 eggs) last night and it came in at 78 mg/dl.

It's worthwhile reading the conclusion of the article. He ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days.

So, Chris started his diet on October 1, 2010, and didn’t use any milk, butter or cheese toppings for mashing his potatoes. The only way he had them were fried, boiled, mashed, steamed, chipped or baked. His diet continued for 60 straight days and ended on November 29, 2010.

The conclusion:

As it has already been mentioned that Chris was never attempting weight loss. Nevertheless, he did lose weight! But more importantly he experienced significant reductions in his glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol, LDL, LDL / HDL ratio and cholesterol / HDL ratio. All these numbers suggested that Chris had significantly reduced his risk of suffering from diabetes and/or heart diseases. These improvements were actually found to be much greater in comparison to what people generally experience from consuming drugs and/or following intensive lifestyle programs. What’s even more incredible is that he managed to do this in 60 days!

Although experts who closely followed Chris’s program don’t recommend everyone to go on 20 potatoes a day diet for 60 straight days, they do agree to the fact that despite all the bad publicity that potatoes often get, they are actually a pretty healthy and nutritious food item.

That should raise some eyebrows. Maybe carbs aren't as evil as they're being made out to be.

I'm no scientist, and I love to eat different varieties of potatoes as well.

However, the results I find for baked potatoes and their GI number seem consistently high -- higher than I even would have expected. And I'm seeing the same kind of GI numbers from various different sources.

post-58284-0-42379000-1457981858_thumb.j

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

And from the Harvard Medical School's info in the U.S.

post-58284-0-71364300-1457982284_thumb.j

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

Archived