Brown Rice. Will it make me fat?

BookMan

I'm no scientist, and I love to eat different varieties of potatoes as well.

However, the results I find for baked potatoes and their GI number seem consistently high -- higher than I even would have expected. And I'm seeing the same kind of GI numbers from various different sources.

attachicon.gifPS0085.jpg

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index

And from the Harvard Medical School's info in the U.S.

attachicon.gifPS0086.jpg

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

This last year is my first year of serious cardio training with bodyweight exercises for strength, and my fasting blood sugar levels are the lowest I've seen in 10 years... and postprandials are amazing after any carb meals. My FBS levels were always over 100, between 105 - 115 mostly, now they're consistently in the 90's and sometimes 80's.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The “Asian Paradox”: How Can Asians Eat So Much Rice and Not Gain Weight?

This reminds me of another "paradox" I discovered last year in the Philippines. I brought my trusty glucometer and a good supply of testing strips with me on a 5 month visit to the province, a farming community where everyone eats mounds of white rice 3 times per day.

I expected to see some pretty bad numbers, especially among the older family members who have been consuming copious quantities of white rice since they were babies... but to my surprise everyone I tested had normal blood sugar levels 1 hour after their meals. FBS levels were normal too (well under 100 mg/dl and mostly in the 80's) in everyone I tested.

The white rice they eat there is actually more like dirty white, so not highly polished.

just an observation most thais i know eat white rice 3/4 times a day, 7 days a week and ya dont see many fat thais about. oh and they heap sugar on every meal the eat. so perhaps someone can shed more light on this.

apparently diabetes is the biggest killer in Thailand, so the sugar and white rice diet may not be too healthy in the long run. also there are a lot more fat Thais around these days then in the past, in my observation anyway.

How many grams of carbohydrates are in a standard portion of sticky rice.

A "standard portion" would be the small square-shaped portion they give you when you buy moo ping or kai yang at a food cart

I'm trying to cut calories after bulking up weight training but I've been losing lean muscle mass as well which is unacceptable.

I read online that starchy carbs after resistance training helps muscle repair quickly

I just don't want to overdo it and start putting fat back on

A "standard portion" would be the small square-shaped portion they give you when you buy moo ping or kai yang at a food cart

I'm trying to cut calories after bulking up weight training but I've been losing lean muscle mass as well which is unacceptable.

I read online that starchy carbs after resistance training helps muscle repair quickly

As someone who has done a lot of weightlifting and who has lost weight in the past. Its almost impossible not to lose some muscle when dieting. The only way not too is when you loose weight while on a low dose of testosterone, or when your an absolute beginner and train hard while loosing weight. Otherwise, you just have to accept to lose some muscle. You can later gain it back with weight training and a small caloric surplus.

As someone who has done a lot of weightlifting and who has lost weight in the past. Its almost impossible not to lose some muscle when dieting. The only way not too is when you loose weight while on a low dose of testosterone, or when your an absolute beginner and train hard while loosing weight. Otherwise, you just have to accept to lose some muscle. You can later gain it back with weight training and a small caloric surplus.

You do say "it's almost impossible", however what exactly constitutes muscle is not as easily defined as people may think. It's a mass consisting of water, carbs, muscle fibers and even interstitial fat.

It's commonly known that weightlifters lose strength when they drop bodyfat, but a lot of this strength loss comes from lower levels of stored water, carbs and fat.

If you lose fat very slowly, and maintain a good level of strength training, including lower and higher rep exercises, you won't have to worry about muscle loss. From a purely subjective view point, a more defined physique with vascularity will look bigger and more impressive than a smooth, fatter physique, even if it is smaller.

Having said that, it would be impossible to know exact levels of fat and muscle unless we have an accurate method of measuring it, which unfortunately we don't have here in Thailand.

LOL. This subject never gets old.

Medically supervised diets using potatoes or rice have been around since at least 1920's-30's. The subjects could eat as much as they wanted and they still lost weight. Here we are literally decades later and people are still saying it's the starches that are causing weight gain. Even today, I've seen people on the internet go on potato diets and guess what? I gave up using either the glycemic index or load years ago. I find the more I stick to foods lower on the calorie density scale the easier I keep my weight in check. As soon as I start eating foods higher up on the calorie density scale, my weight starts going up. My own diet is centered around starches so items like brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, beans and lentils are my main go to foods. These starches fill me up and add satiety. Add in some fruit and vegetables and that's basically all I need.

Medically supervised diets using potatoes or rice have been around since at least 1920's-30's. The subjects could eat as much as they wanted and they still lost weight. Here we are literally decades later and people are still saying it's the starches that are causing weight gain. Even today, I've seen people on the internet go on potato diets and guess what? I gave up using either the glycemic index or load years ago. I find the more I stick to foods lower on the calorie density scale the easier I keep my weight in check. As soon as I start eating foods higher up on the calorie density scale, my weight starts going up. My own diet is centered around starches so items like brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, beans and lentils are my main go to foods. These starches fill me up and add satiety. Add in some fruit and vegetables and that's basically all I need.

I also don't give a hoot about glycemic index or load, but by all means keep a glucometer and testing strips close at hand to see how you respond to various foods. Know how food affects your body and take out the guesswork. You'll also likely discover that certain meals are tolerated better at certain times of the day.

Wait till you try the black rice.

Thailand truly is rice paradise. The variety of rice available here is amazing.

Another one worth trying is the pre-germinated brown rice. It's a bit more expensive, but really nice to eat. I've only seen it in 1kg packets.

...except when you try to find/buy regular brown rice (not the Jasmine brown rice varieties). That seems to be one of the more elusive things here, perhaps because Thai/Jasmine rice varieties predictably dominate the market.

The red rice is going down a treat!

It will be hard to go back to the brown

I find i need to add more water to the rice cooker for the red than i do with the brown

Is that Thai cargo red rice ?, if so that is a type,(same family) as jasmine brown. That is what it says on the bag.

I find i need to add more water to the rice cooker for the red than i do with the brown

Is that Thai cargo red rice ?, if so that is a type,(same family) as jasmine brown. That is what it says on the bag.

ive been having Riceberry red rice.

some special one made in thailand

delicious

...except when you try to find/buy regular brown rice (not the Jasmine brown rice varieties). That seems to be one of the more elusive things here, perhaps because Thai/Jasmine rice varieties predictably dominate the market.

Jasmine brown rice IS regular brown rice to me... after 10 years of eating it in Thailand. Are you referring to short grain rice? If so, why would you want that? The only time I eat short grain (white) rice is when I'm eating sushi.

ive been having Riceberry red rice.

some special one made in thailand

delicious

http://www.thailand-rice-exporters.com/ThailandRiceExporters-EN/products/riceberry.html

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Cooking/Riceberry

Jasmine brown rice IS regular brown rice to me... after 10 years of eating it in Thailand. Are you referring to short grain rice? If so, why would you want that? The only time I eat short grain (white) rice is when I'm eating sushi.

Because according to the journals I've seen on the subject, Thai Jasmine brown rice is very/surprisingly high in its glycemic index, comparable to white Jasmine rice, and roughly double that of regular brown rice, which usually has a GI number around 50.

Because according to the journals I've seen on the subject, Thai Jasmine brown rice is very/surprisingly high in its glycemic index, comparable to white Jasmine rice, and roughly double that of regular brown rice, which usually has a GI number around 50.

Forget all this scientific confusion over GI tables... What practical use are they to anyone? Diabetics don't use tables, they test, so...

Get a glucometer, eat the food, then test - 1 hour and 2 hour postprandial readings. Keeping your blood sugar in the healthy, normal range after eating food is the key to a healthy metabolism. This is where exercise comes in handy - you'll tolerate all types of carbs better... even the sweet snacks.

When you get some "normal brown rice", test it out and see how it affects your blood sugar compared to Jasmine brown rice. I'll bet it doesn't make much difference.

I understand the psychology. Health "nuts" will spend hours debating the relevance of GI tables. No one wants to self test blood sugar as the idea of doing it freaks them out because it's like admitting they are diabetic - end of the world! I would recommend every adult own a glucometer - and possibly prevent diabetes from ever occurring in the first place.

I got myself some riceberry rice today

From some googling..

Red rice in general seems to have a low GI...about 55

Black rice i have seen different GI quoted....from 44-80?

Bit confusing really

From where in Thailand can you buy this Riceberry Rice?

I've never tried it yet.

I got myself some riceberry rice today

From some googling..

Red rice in general seems to have a low GI...about 55

Black rice i have seen different GI quoted....from 44-80?

Bit confusing really

From where in Thailand can you buy this Riceberry Rice?

I've never tried it yet.

I've seen it in Villa market, Big C, Tops supermarkets... I didn't see it in my Tesco here.

I have bought a couple of different brands

This one was either from Big C or Tops.. Big C is a bit cheaper

post-147205-0-68085200-1458788976_thumb.

PRetty much any kind of mono diet will make you lose weight. The problem with eating lots of carbs is that they are usually coupled with fat, which is a bad combo.

PRetty much any kind of mono diet will make you lose weight. The problem with eating lots of carbs is that they are usually coupled with fat, which is a bad combo.

No way.... most protein food is coupled with fat.

• 2 weeks later...

When preparing food at home I tend to avoid adding any fats or oils.

Riceberry rice has been mentioned here a few times and I have taken to eating it. Quite delicious flavour and filling/

Quality seems to vary. The Riceberry I bought in the supermarket was uniform in color and grade and has a good taste

Whereas the Riceberry I bought on the street seemed to be mixed with various grades of rice, not all riceberry looking...still, taste is okay.

Supermarket price 1kg - approx 100 baht

Street price 1 kilo 55 baht

Some photos showing the difference

post-147205-0-23090100-1460700873_thumb.

post-147205-0-07077900-1460701038_thumb.

post-147205-0-69293700-1460700294_thumb.

Archived