BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Haze starts to cover Phayao despite 60-day burning ban

Haze starts to cover Phayao despite 60-day burning ban

PHAYAO, 7 March 2016 (NNT) - Haze has started to cover a large area of Phayao after wildfires and weed burning in several areas as well as neighboring provinces, again led to the problem.

Athough the PM10 value has not exceeded the standard 120 micrograms per cubic meter, the haze can clearly be seen and is starting to affect locals residents.

At the air monitoring station, the PM10 value on Sunday measured 82 micrograms per cubic meter. Most areas were covered with haze which causes irritation to people's eyes during daytime heat and generally poor visibility.

The province earlier took measures to strictly ban burning during the 60 dangerous days from 16th December to 15th April 2016.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-07 footer_n.gif

What 60 day ban? There have been fires burning around Phayao most days for the last week that I have noticed.

I would love to know how Phayao has managed to continue burning while in our area I haven't seen a plume of smoke in a month. But guess what we still have bad air. The other farmers have a right to be PO'd. In fact my wife says there have been some altercations.

ban didn't work, how about a crack-down?

And a hub.

And set up a committee of high ranking officials held at a top 5 star hotel in the north.

Nothing (or too little) has changed even in the province of Loei.

Me first and Buddha for all.

Can't really blame them, they know little.

But we can blame the "Bangkok" boys and girls in spotless stiffened white uniforms, hung with stripes, stars, bars and ropes.

He, get out there and dirty your white uniforms for goodness sake !

This is a serious issue with no simple easy solutions but you wouldn’t know that by the one-liners regurgitated on to this page. It involves the livelihood of some of the poorest members of society, intertwined with the greed of some of the largest corporations.

Without affordable alternatives to burning, what good does it do to threaten a farmer who is already in debt up to his eyeballs, with little else to lose? His only real alternative is to be more devious in an attempt to avoid getting caught.
What makes more sense, to go after millions of poor farmers with small backyard burns or a couple of major corporations contracting out millions of rai of corn production and subsequent burning. This won’t be solved overnight or without a comprehensive plan to deal with both ends of the supply and demand chain.

I was just on Koh Chang for a few days. Couldn't see more than 2km. Couldn't see across the straight to the mainland. Absolutely horrible.

This is a serious issue with no simple easy solutions but you wouldn’t know that by the one-liners regurgitated on to this page. It involves the livelihood of some of the poorest members of society, intertwined with the greed of some of the largest corporations.

Without affordable alternatives to burning, what good does it do to threaten a farmer who is already in debt up to his eyeballs, with little else to lose? His only real alternative is to be more devious in an attempt to avoid getting caught.
What makes more sense, to go after millions of poor farmers with small backyard burns or a couple of major corporations contracting out millions of rai of corn production and subsequent burning. This won’t be solved overnight or without a comprehensive plan to deal with both ends of the supply and demand chain.

There' no agricultural reason to burn, it's laziness.

they say it helps produce mushrooms, no it doesn't it just burns off the top layer of mulch hiding the mushrooms.

They say it's better to burn the old rice straw, no it isn't it's better to plough it in and let it rot, providing organic matter for the soil.

I've been here nearly forty years and they hardly burned at all back then.

Now it's seen as a quick way to clean up the land, no more mulching and composting.

the Thai farmers are totally hooked on chemicals and fertilisers.

I never saw fertiliser 40 years ago, they had buffalo poo.

This is just another example of the get rich quick mentality.

Burning bans are merely recommendations for the other guy that do not apply to me. tongue.png

Pure laziness, don't care attitude. In their mind, they have other lives and this one doesn't count since there will be more.