BANGKOK 16 February 2019 09:24

No idea if this the right forum for this but I was just wondering what birds people got in their gardens, where are they (town/province), do they feed them and with what?

Not an expert on the local birds but I'm in samut prakarn, area has lots of plaa salid fields, have a khlong next to my house with lots of trees and then fishfields.

In the garden we get very brave collared dove types which aren't bothered by me, different types of mynah birds which are very jumpy, coucals (saw 2 together for the firts time last week), very noisy koels which I rarely see but are very vocal especially at night. In the fields theres a variety of storks. Had a kingfisher a few months back flying up and down the klong...that got me excited.

I always chuck out bread for the birds. The mother in law says they're farlang nok as they don't eat rice she puts out (and no she doesn't mean falang kee nok).

Anything unusual visiting your place? What do you feed them with?

• Like 1

we get very brave collared dove types which aren't bothered by me

We get those little gray birds, not afraid they walk around on the ground and have accidently nearly stepped on one on several occasions w00t.gif

Edited by Daffy D
  • Like 1

Dead bird is a Siberian Thrush - I seem to remember Isanbirder already makingt that ID in another thread. The first pic of Storks looks like mostly Openbill Storks with possibly a few Painted Storks. The Coucal is a Greater.

• Like 1

We get those little gray birds, not afraid they walk around on the ground and have accidently nearly stepped on one on several occasions w00t.gif

Zebra Dove most probably. Sometimes they're referred to as Peaceful Doves.

• Like 1

Glad you started the thread. I moved to a new house in November about 11 km north of Phetchabun. Set in nice rural location with plenty of trees and water nearby.

My "patch" is the garden and anything I can see or hear from the house. I have a north facing first floor terrace that is proving a great spot for bird watching and photography. The terrace is on a level with a large mature tree that attracts all manner of avian visitors, mostly common I might add.

I regularly have visits from a group of Racket Tailed Treepies, a Spot Breasted Woodpecker, a pair of Black Collared Starling and a Violet Cuckoo.

I also had a brief visit from a pair of Black Baza in January.

Less common(here) I have recently seen a Verditer Flycatcher and a Black Crested BulBul, both spotted in the very cold weather that might have forced them down from Tad Mok or Nearby Nam Nao.

Besides the birds I have mentioned all the usual suspects are present i.e Mynas, Bulbuls and Koel for example.

Edited by thetefldon
  • Like 2

had these two a while back .... not sure what name ..

post-48292-0-64277700-1457402059_thumb.jpost-48292-0-27339000-1457402171_thumb.j

Edited by steven100

Dead bird is a Siberian Thrush - I seem to remember Isanbirder already makingt that ID in another thread. The first pic of Storks looks like mostly Openbill Storks with possibly a few Painted Storks. The Coucal is a Greater.

That's correct on the Siberian Thrush.

How to tell the difference between Greater and Lesser Coucal?

I have a wide variety that nest in my mango; wake me at 5.45am and crap on my motorbike. I am not ornithologically inclined.

That's correct on the Siberian Thrush.

How to tell the difference between Greater and Lesser Coucal?

Lesser have buffish streaks on their bodies that are quite visible. But they are also generally much more skulking and tend to stay in high grass or reeds near water. If it's hopping around your garden fully exposed, you can pretty much peg it as a Greater.

• Like 1

Zebra Dove most probably. Sometimes they're referred to as Peaceful Doves.

Cute birds but lousy nest builders

post-35075-0-50504800-1457414211_thumb.j

Must be the local influence whistling.gif

• Like 2