Birds in your garden

A question for the resident experts.  

I've just seen a very large raptor passing high over my garden soaring/gliding eastwards towards Chumphae. I was able to grab binos and follow it for a minute or so. It seemed a uniform black with very distinctive widespread 'fingers.' Looking through Robson and the iPad it looks like it may have been a Black Eagle. Is this likely in a semi urban area.  Are they migratory. I'm on the Khon Kean/Chaiyaphum border not far from Phukeow/Nam Nao parks as the crow, err, eagle flies.

14 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I was surprised to see this baby in my mango tree this afternoon.

Looks like a baby Oriole.:biggrin:

DSCN3468.JPG

DSCN3469.JPG

4 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Maybe one of the Iora species, but I have no books and am in a rush and no books to hand. Where do you live? Province?

3 hours ago, isanbirder said:

My reaction too, AN.  Ditto no books handy.  Don't know what that black bit is!

would have to agree with AN and IB...Iora, but which one? the plumage is funky to say the least. the bird is puffed up and Ioras have white under-feathers, sometimes giving them a white-rumped appearance. granted this white appears to extend up the entire back! could be a juvey plumage thing or molt, but that is one funky wingbar! the bird definitely shows faint spectacles. my best would call it a funky-plumaged female Green Iora, but best to wait for the knowledge and expertise of AN and IB.

2 hours ago, thetefldon said:

No 58 on the patch list is a Cuckoo but which one?

Eurasian(common) for me but interested in what the experts think. Bird was on the ground-not feeding but resting-could it be a passage migrant?

Thanks in advance from a very wet Phetchabun.

eurasian cuckoo.jpg

Either Common or Oriental...:unsure: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

would have to agree with AN and IB...Iora, but which one? the plumage is funky to say the least. the bird is puffed up and Ioras have white under-feathers, sometimes giving them a white-rumped appearance. granted this white appears to extend up the entire back! could be a juvey plumage thing or molt, but that is one funky wingbar! the bird definitely shows faint spectacles. my best would call it a funky-plumaged female Green Iora, but best to wait for the knowledge and expertise of AN and IB.

I've got limited time this week, but just did some reading and some i-net comparisons and I have this bird as male common Iora betwen fledgling and juvenile status. prepared to be wrong, but that's my call.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tahaan said:

A question for the resident experts.  

I've just seen a very large raptor passing high over my garden soaring/gliding eastwards towards Chumphae. I was able to grab binos and follow it for a minute or so. It seemed a uniform black with very distinctive widespread 'fingers.' Looking through Robson and the iPad it looks like it may have been a Black Eagle. Is this likely in a semi urban area.  Are they migratory. I'm on the Khon Kean/Chaiyaphum border not far from Phukeow/Nam Nao parks as the crow, err, eagle flies.

Absolutely possible, but not enough info to make a definitive call. Tail? Length and shape? Lighting conditions? Time of day? If the sun is high, and the bird.are back-lit ten t, many raptors appear a uniform black. All things considered, could have been any number of specis 

• Like 1

Thanks Ajarn. It was overcast late morning. I'm familiar with Buzzards in the UK and this appeared a fair bit bigger with broader wings. Longish wedge shaped tail when soaring. Definitely not a kite. I've got a decent pair of bino's and there was no hint of any markings under.

The only other raptors seen around regularly are Besra, Shikra and Black Shouldered Kite.

Lots of other movement going on at the moment. I've had a Brown Shrike visiting the garden the last few days and wagtails and swallows passing through.

On 9/20/2016 at 11:07 PM, Goldieinkathu said:

I was surprised to see this baby in my mango tree this afternoon.

Looks like a baby Oriole.:biggrin:

DSCN3468.JPG

DSCN3469.JPG

Reckon might be Common Iora-based on head,eyering and beak, would suggest juvenile

Attached photo of mature bird in my garden.

common iora.jpg

• Like 2

My response is in no way meant to insinuate that I am an expert. In fact, I've never seen an Oriental Honey-Buzzard (aka Crested Honey-Buzzard), but after consulting a couple field guides as well as some online sources, I would agree with your ID. The underwing and tail patterns match nicely.

Great post and great pix! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great pix. Thx AN! Cool to get new early date on the Ashy. Back in GA we used to keep arrival and departure date records for neo-tropical migrants and it was always way cool to report a new early arrival date or later departure date for the database! :thumbsup:

• Like 1