Birds in your garden

On 11/2/2016 at 8:45 AM, AjarnNorth said:

Your Barbets are a Lineated and a Coppersmith, though I am guessing you knew that already. And a definite yes on the Common Wood-shrike. I am 90 percent sure the one you have as a possible  "rufous winged philentoma" is a juvenile White-rumped Shama. 

On 11/1/2016 at 8:44 PM, isanbirder said:

The second picture is the Common Wood-shrike.

HELP!!! Am a bit confused about the "Wood-shrike". The bird in the pic overall looks slighter in stature than a wood-shrike...especially the bill and to a lesser degree, the head. Shrike bills are generally thicker with a slight downward "hook" at the tip. The bird in the pic has a slim, straight bill. Also the supercilium is more prominent and the black mask much broader on the bird in the photo. 

Of course, I'm ready to be wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the first time (nor the last), but that bill and overall shape and size and color of the bird looks more like a Grey Bushchat to me. :wacko:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

On second look, I believe you're right, Skeptic! Pure laziness on my part and I apologize for my crimes against due diligence. I was too focused on the mystery bird - the one I believe to to be a Juv WR Shama - and only gave the other a cursory glance. The bird shows similarities to both species, but the lack of hooked bill is, I think, the clincher. In the field, this would be an easy call as habitat, from my experience, is completely different. Woodshrike nearly always seen rather high in trees. Bushchat in open scrub area, never too far from the ground.

Good catch! 

53 minutes ago, kgpr said:

Yes I saw it on scrub land, on a low bush

Skeptic7 nailed it. Sub-adult male would be my guess, but his ID is correct for all the reasons he stated. That you saw it in scrub on a low bush makes perfect sense. As I have said before, I love being wrong on birds. Each time I'm wrong, I learn. 

9 hours ago, kgpr said:

Yes that's true, I am a beginner here and always happy for any help I can get.
Well done Septic 7.and thanks for your help also.

A lesser point in the field but noticeable in close up pix (and field guides) is that Common Wood-shrike have a dark yellow or brownish iris, where as Grey Bushchat has an entirely black eye.

The wild budgie in my garden has gone.....

For weeks it mingled with other birds in the area I provided with daily food and water.

Even watched it washing itself like other birds a few times.

It was not afraid of any of the other birds ( note no pigeons here ).    It even chased off the mynah birds in the beginning.

The mynah's that came would act as alarms and call out if there were snakes, cats etc around, all the feeding birds would fly off then return when the mynah's gave the all clear.

For about a week recently the mynah's moved about 20 metres away to a new perch, not sure why ( mating / hatching  ? ).   During this time the budgie disappeared.    Guess no alarms and it got caught by a cat.

The mynah's are back, the budgie unfortunately not.

38 minutes ago, Arjen said:

I see quite often this bright blue bird. It is very shy, makes an awfull sound. It is about the size from a big dove, and when it is resting it is also a similar color. But when it flies it is incredible beautiful blue.

Any idea's what bird this is?

Arjen.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Indian Roller

• Like 1

I can see it, but wouldn't like to identify it.... snipe of some kind?

Yesterday I returned from a dose of chemotherapy, somewhat shattered as one is...... and later that evening heard the call of the Northern Boobook for the first time.  It was fully dark, but this is the only own which makes a noise like a mentally deficient cuckoo.  I don't usually identify by call, not being aurally competent (in my oiwn opinion), but I think this is a good one.

Just to clarify...my previous post was my guess referring to the bird in AN's "can you spot the bird?" photo. NOT a bird I'm claiming to have seen! :biggrin:

The reasons for my guess are the eye and facial pattern are nearly an exact match to the Northern Thick-knee of Round's "A Guide to the Birds of Thailand" Plate 45 (pg 141). Also the hidden bird in AN's photo appears short billed with some yellow near the base and has a white wing-bar. An extreme long shot for sure but all similar to the depiction in the field guide. Also why I emphasized twice that I was going out on a really thin limb on this one!

2 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:
2 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

You are correct, sir... attached is the same bird, from a different angle of course. has been around my fish ponds every year from October through to about Jan, and always with Pacific Golden plovers, as if it thinks it is one. The bird has gotten used to me it seems. 

Sorry having issues with posting. ANYWAY...almost immediately (and coincidentally it seems) went with Pacific Golden Plover, but have seen enough of them to just know this wasn't one. Too many things just weren't right. Very cool bird indeed!  :thumbsup:

P.S. Just went back thru the forum and noticed you had previously posted pix of Eurasian Thick-knee. Had I remembered that little fact, would have made the ID much easier and saved me considerable time and my GF considerable annoyance at being put on the back burner...AGAIN! :vampire:

Ha. Yes, well my wife goes birding with me often but not always and even when she does usually spends her time in "the bush" looking for editable plant-life with which to make a curry or some such while I pursue birds. But yes, she is also used to me silently pouring over photos and books to make sure I have my personal IDs correct. After such and such years of same, she is used to it. 

And yes, I do think it is the same Thick-knee yer after year. But as certain as I am, those calls are hard to make. 

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

P.S. Just went back thru the forum and noticed you had previously posted pix of Eurasian Thick-knee. Had I remembered that little fact, would have made the ID much easier and saved me considerable time and my GF considerable annoyance at being put on the back burner...AGAIN! :vampire:

Ha. Yes, well my wife goes birding with me often but not always and even when she does usually spends her time in "the bush" looking for editable plant-life with which to make a curry or some such while I pursue birds. But yes, she is also used to me silently pouring over photos and books to make sure I have my personal IDs correct. After such and such years of same, she is used to it. 

And yes, I do think it is the same Thick-knee yer after year. But as certain as I am, those calls are hard to make. 

Are there cuckoo's in Thailand ?

I live outside a small town 45km south of Khon Kaen.

I have lived here 4 years.

Today, Tuesday 6th December at 3.30pm I heard a sound like a cuckoo and what may have been a reply from another bird further away.

First time I have ever heard this sound here.

Would be grateful if anyone could provide a name and picture of what this bird may be.

6 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Today, Tuesday 6th December at 3.30pm I heard a sound like a cuckoo and what may have been a reply from another bird further away.

Would be grateful if anyone could provide a name and picture of what this bird may be.

16 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

The Eurasian Cuckoo does occur in Thailand, but it's not common.  I did describe the Northern Boobook (a kind of owl) in post 411 as a mentally deficient cuckoo, though.  I wouldn't like to be sure on yours, though.