Birds in your garden

On 12/6/2016 at 3:40 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

I hear these guys all over the place but never seen one...we got a mashland behind our shop house and birds everywhere that I can spot with the binocs from our first floor rear terrace but no way to photograph, unfortunately...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kgpr said:

These are such good photos, I got the brown throated sunbird a couple of days ago and I know how difficult it is to get a good photo.They never stay still. My camera is just for identification purposes(Nikon P 900)

Thank-you. Both are snatched shots. First only saw for a few moments-literally got one shot. Sunbird stayed a while but in a postion were AF would not lock so ended up with just one pic too!!

I use a Canon EOS 80D and an unstabaliszed Canon 400mm f5.6L. Hard work with no IS!

• Like 1

I am unable to input text into the reply box from my laptop at "home" for reasons unknown. The above photo is the view from the window of my temporary room in downtown Bangkok, Bang Rak area. In two days, the new yard list went to 18, as follows: Ashy Drongo; Black-naped Oriole; Rock Pigeon,  EA Tree Sparrow; House Sparrow; Spotted Dove; Zebra Dove; Pied Fantail; Streaked Bulbul; Common Tailorbird; Large-billed Crow; Plaintive Cuckoo; Oriental Magpie Robin; Olive-backed Sunbird; Little Egret; Common Myna; White-vented Myna; Asian Palm Swift. This will rise as time permits, but I haven't had much time as of late. I can predict the next ten probable species, but still fun to have a new spot to watch even if it is small and surrounded by big city life. 

Edited by AjarnNorth
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

I am unable to input text into the reply box from my laptop at "home" for reasons unknown. The above photo is the view from the window of my temporary room in downtown Bangkok, Bang Rak area. In two days, the new yard list went to 18, as follows: Ashy Drongo; Black-naped Oriole; Rock Pigeon,  EA Tree Sparrow; House Sparrow; Spotted Dove; Zebra Dove; Pied Fantail; Streaked Bulbul; Common Tailorbird; Large-billed Crow; Plaintive Cuckoo; Oriental Magpie Robin; Olive-backed Sunbird; Little Egret; Common Myna; White-vented Myna; Asian Palm Swift. This will rise as time permits, but I haven't had much time as of late. I can predict the next ten probable species, but still fun to have a new spot to watch even if it is small and surrounded by big city life. 

Yes...new yard and each bird is like seeing them all over again for the very first time! hahaha :vampire:

• Like 2

Three recent additions bring the new Bangkok yard list to 21: Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker, Baya Weaver, Yellow-vented Bulbul. The weaver could be a "merit release" bird form a nearby temple. No way to be sure about that unless i find nearby breeding colonies/nests. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

I hear these guys all over the place but never seen one...we got a mashland behind our shop house and birds everywhere that I can spot with the binocs from our first floor rear terrace but no way to photograph, unfortunately...

Come to my house... we have 2 rai mango orchard... they nest in the larger mango trees and tall coconut palms.  They are always fighting with each other and flying low over our heads when we sit outside. 

They also fight with the Asian Collard starlings... I think they lay their eggs in the starlings nests or try to take over the nest. 

I have found several of the fledglings when they leave the starling nests and get attacked by other starlings... sometimes flying into the house wall in panic and getting stunned... but they all recovered. 

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Come to my house... we have 2 rai mango orchard... they nest in the larger mango trees and tall coconut palms.  They are always fighting with each other and flying low over our heads when we sit outside. 

They also fight with the Asian Collard starlings... I think they lay their eggs in the starlings nests or try to take over the nest. 

I have found several of the fledglings when they leave the starling nests and get attacked by other starlings... sometimes flying into the house wall in panic and getting stunned... but they all recovered. 

ye see?...this is what puzzles me as we live in a small town and there ain't no trees for the birds to nest in...but I hear them everywhere especially in the morning...in the rear marshland there is a big tree about 500m from our house (the sort that flocks of egrets perch in temporarily) but the bird calls are close by...

do these birds fly close to human habitation and harass and then fly out again?

plenty of other rufous colored birds in the swamp behind the house...continually havin' to dodge the monitor lizards (that appear to be arising like mini dinosaurs from swampland primordial slime) that want to have them fer breakfast...

#58...I guess. Status of any parakeet species in BKK is feral at best, as wild populations were extirpated years or decades ago. That said, for the 3rd time in a few months, have had parakeet fly-bys. One was an albino and disregarded. The other 2, latest one being this morn, were large, green and long-tailed. Too fast and far to distinguish Alexandrine from Red-breasted, will just go down as Parakeet sp. 

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

#58...I guess. Status of any parakeet species in BKK is feral at best, as wild populations were extirpated years or decades ago. That said, for the 3rd time in a few months, have had parakeet fly-bys. One was an albino and disregarded. The other 2, latest one being this morn, were large, green and long-tailed. Too fast and far to distinguish Alexandrine from Red-breasted, will just go down as Parakeet sp. 

There certainly used to be a large flock of parakeets on Pak Kret. I don't know the species but saw them there in the early 2000's. The albino raises my suspicions. Are you sure it wasn't a cockatoo escapee?

12 hours ago, Briggsy said:

There certainly used to be a large flock of parakeets on Pak Kret. I don't know the species but saw them there in the early 2000's. The albino raises my suspicions. Are you sure it wasn't a cockatoo escapee?

Good call but no, the bird was not a cockatoo. Actually considered cockatoo when first saw it without binoculars. Regardless, beautiful and elegant bird, but disregarded as probable escapee and un-ID-able.(and not countable for my yard list!)

As for other areas outside of BKK, mainly - but not limited to - West & NW Thailand nowadays, Parakeet species are still wild and even locally common. Saw and heard numerous Red-breasted in the trees along the beach in Patong last year.

Now this is very interesting! Mentioned and photographed a few days ago (see post 466 above) only the 2nd occurence of Red-whiskered Bulbul here. Just a few minutes ago, saw a pair! As is usually the case, as I grabbed my camera and zoomed in for pics, they flew. But here's the really interesting part...there were 5 or 6 fleeing together! 

So now this begs a few questions. Wild or feral? Very localized commune? Breeding? The occasional single sighting is not unusual. A half-dozen together? Hmmm...

Pleased to see this thread is very much alive and thriving.

I've been feeding the birds in my garden for the best part of 12 years, nothing too special, usually the remaining old bread and occasionally I might buy some bird seed, throw it right outside my kitchen window and watch the action. Something I love to do daily.

I've been working overseas for the past 4 months. The wife hasn't been throwing out the bread and during the past week I've been at home and feeding them again I've been very disappointed to see how few birds have re-discovered the feeding spot. Yes the wife got an earful!

• Like 2

I still read this thread regularly but unfortunately i do not have the expertise some of you have to recognise birds. I just don't spot birds that easily and i think its down to being colourblind makes birds merge in to the background for me. I'm jealous of the ability of some of you. Keep up the good work on here...interesting reading.

• Like 1

Pink-necked Pigeon are incredibly beautiful,  but so common here that l usually ignore them. Today a female was about 40m off, but this "green pigeon" was different even to my bare eyes. Much yellower overall, with bright yellow breast, belly and coverts on the leading edge of the folded wings. Wings and back more pale than Pink-necked and back of head and neck grey, giving the bird a partially capped appearance.

#60 for the yard is Orange-breasted Pigeon (f)! Was hoping for House Sparrow, but will just have to settle! :vampire:

• Like 2