Birds in your garden

A new one for patch list but what is it please?

My best guess is a Plain Prenia(or other Prenia) but the shots are taken with a kit lens and not great, they are cropped heavily and are also over exposed-the backof the bird was much browner than in shots. Size wise similar to Magpie Robin.

The beak of the bird is an interesting shape too(more like Shrike) while the supercilium is fairly faint, possibly a juvenile?

Appreciate ID if possible.

post-59731-0-22672000-1458976794_thumb.j

post-59731-0-72996300-1458976821_thumb.j

• Like 2

A new one for patch list but what is it please?

My best guess is a Plain Prenia(or other Prenia) but the shots are taken with a kit lens and not great, they are cropped heavily and are also over exposed-the backof the bird was much browner than in shots. Size wise similar to Magpie Robin.

The beak of the bird is an interesting shape too(more like Shrike) while the supercilium is fairly faint, possibly a juvenile?

Appreciate ID if possible.

It's not a Prinia; the bill is too heavy.

Have you seen White-browed Shrike-Babblers in your area? A lot of variation among young birds.

Otherwise, I'm still thinking!

• Like 2

Just checked the images on google. Yes, young White-browed Shrike-Babbler.

Yes agree just had a look in Robson. The long tapering supercilium and beak do it for me.

Not seen around here before so a new one for patch list.

Many thanks for your help.

thetefidon. White-browed Shrike-Babbler males are quite glamorous, and usually much in evidence; they like to feed along the larger branches of the trees; they also have a frequently-repeated four-note call, which you will soon get to know.

• Like 1

thetefidon. White-browed Shrike-Babbler males are quite glamorous, and usually much in evidence; they like to feed along the larger branches of the trees; they also have a frequently-repeated four-note call, which you will soon get to know.

Yes a handsome bird compared to my pic!! Still if there are juveniles guess the male might be around. As I said a first for me here in Phetchabun. I see what you mean about the call Edited by thetefldon

Any thoughts-Green or Common Iora?

Pretty bird sitting a few feet away from me in the big tree in my garden while I was having a cup of tea on the upstairs terrace.

Common, I am pretty sure. What province do you live in?

Thanks for reply and ID. I live 12 km North of Phetchabun near Khoa Kho turn.

As far as i know, there are no confirmed records of Green Iora other than in the south. (Does anyone have different info on that?) Usual guide books all have it for South only and Philip Round's "Birds of the Bangkok Area" which covers most of Central Thailand doesn't list Green as having been recorded there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A great late addition to the list this evening about 6 pm...White-breasted Waterhen. 3 new the past couple days ups the total to 42 for the yard.

Where are you? Water area? For me, I see them on a very regular basis for many years now making their way slowly along the banks of the khlong outside my window or when the khlong is fully blocked with vegetation they go back and forth across the leaves of the plants. Towards the end of last year I watched daily an adult and its 3 chicks doing their daily rounds on the khlong. Occasionally they fly in to my garden but they're very alert and sense me straight away if I go out. We used to have a little fish pond but we stopped stocking it as something kept eating the fish; think I know who was guilty.

About 5 days ago I noticed 2 adults. Three days I saw 1 adult 3 chicks of reasonable size. Today I saw 1 adult with just 1 chick. Lots of monitor lizards around which may account for the 2 chicks. Very busy birds, always searching the khlong banks. Enjoy watching them with my binoculars.

• Like 1

Any thoughts-Green or Common Iora?

Pretty bird sitting a few feet away from me in the big tree in my garden while I was having a cup of tea on the upstairs terrace.

Common, I am pretty sure. What province do you live in?
Thanks for reply and ID. I live 12 km North of Phetchabun near Khoa Kho turn.
Great pic and it's apparent why the ID is no gimme. This bird seems to possess subtle qualities of both Common and Green...and even the sex of this bird gives pause. That said, I would have to agree with AJN as to Common based on range and the fact that male Common Ioras do not always sport a black crown. My humble opinion...non-breeding male.
  • Like 1

Does anyone know where my Black Drongos disappear too between end of March and September.

The birds that turn up in September are juveniles(speckled chest).

There are still a few "resident" birds here

but the majority have now departed.

Have you seen them[emoji57]

Location just North of Phetchabun.

Does anyone know where my Black Drongos disappear too between end of March and September.

I'm no expert on Black Drongos, but am familiar with breeding habits, territories and sighting frequencies of birds in the USA.

Assuming since the birds are year-round residents in your area that they are staking out breeding territories and spreading out. Fewer of them around and the females are not seen nearly as frequently as they are tending to nest/eggs/young while remaining inconspicuous.

Edited by Skeptic7

I'm no expert on Black Drongos, but am familiar with breeding habits, territories and sighting frequencies of birds in the USA.

Assuming since the birds are year-round residents in your area that they are staking out breeding territories and spreading out. Fewer of them around and the females are not seen nearly as frequently as they are tending to nest/eggs/young while remaining inconspicuous.

Thanks that certainly sounds feasible.

I should add that in September the birds arrive in large groups and appear to hang around in the area. Beginning of April they have all gone save for an odd lone straggler.

I wondered if the birds do in fact migrate arriving here at the start of the cooler weather and leaving when it gets hot?

I should add that in September the birds arrive in large groups and appear to hang around in the area. Beginning of April they have all gone save for an odd lone straggler.

I wondered if the birds do in fact migrate arriving here at the start of the cooler weather and leaving when it gets hot?

Black Drongos are common permanent residents from the extreme northern peninsula upwards throughout the rest of the Kingdom.

Quoting directly on Drongo sp. from A Guide To The Birds Of Thailand...'found mostly in pairs when territorial, but sometimes in flocks in winter or when on migration.' And specifically on Black Drongo...'often roosts communally in large numbers.'

Range map of Black Drongo from the Philip Round book mentioned above. Pink shading indicates Resident, while blue is Winter Visitor.

post-216783-14600816826564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7

Regarding Black Drongos:

As I have said in many threads before, "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" by Philip Round gives information that is not included in other books, especially as it relates to status, range (world-wide) and seasonality. If you can find it, get it.

While Black Drongo are resident and year-round in some areas of Thailand, they are far outnumbered by winter visitors. This is true in the north as well as the south. When I lived in Surin, I would only occasionally see one between April and September. By late September to early October they were everywhere. Mostly gone again by end of April, along with most of the other winter visitors. I now live in Chonburi and it's the same here.

So tefldon, you may occasionally see one between Late April and mid September (resident thai), but they (wintering cathoecus) will be back in numbers by late September. In the mean time, they will be north through China.

Black Drongos are common permanent residents from the extreme northern peninsula upwards throughout the rest of the Kingdom.

Quoting directly on Drongo sp. from A Guide To The Birds Of Thailand...'found mostly in pairs when territorial, but sometimes in flocks in winter or when on migration.' And specifically on Black Drongo...'often roosts communally in large numbers.'

Range map of Black Drongo from the Philip Round book mentioned above. Pink shading indicates Resident, while blue is Winter Visitor.
  • Like 1

In 12 years in samut prakarn I've never seen any Ashy Drongos here...+2hrs drive to bangsaen but bird flying time must be minimal.

Yep. It's weird. And you said you just now had some Black for the first time?

Do you get out to wooded areas near you at all? Even temple grounds with a lot of trees? It's possible they are there. They should be anyway.

I don't know if this is the case, but I assume that the ashy that come to my Soi every September/October to Mid-April are the same individuals year in and year out. No way to prove that unless i were to catch one and ring it which i don't have the ability to do. I wonder the same about the AB Flycatchers on my Soi each "winter." Are they the same individuals year in and year out. I don't have the answer.

^I was thinking the exact same thing: it must be breeding season. In past years around this time we've twice had tailor birds nesting right outside our livingroom window. Currently I'm seeing loads of one of my favourite birds, magpie robins flying around, chasing, making me guess they're courting or competing.

The main bird breeding season is January to April, but some species, such as the three sparrows, and the common pigeons/doves, may be breeding at any time. Wetland birds breed in the wet season, so-called, and some other species have different breeding times.

Over the past few years, I have been able to watch four raptors breeding. The Black-shouldered Kites seem to be the earliest, starting about October. Brahminy Kites a month or two later (I saw large young on a nest a few days ago). The Shikras should also have large young by now. Rufous-winged Buzzards are a little later, and seem to have small young in late March or early April. I suppose the food availability is the main determinant. The Buzzards like snakes, and the current hot season is ideal for them!

Birds which are winter visitors here, as Black Drongos are in my part of Buriram, migrate north before breeding, and breed in the northern summer, the date depending on how far north they go.

Edited by isanbirder

In 12 years in samut prakarn I've never seen any Ashy Drongos here...+2hrs drive to bangsaen but bird flying time must be minimal.

Yep. It's weird. And you said you just now had some Black for the first time?

Do you get out to wooded areas near you at all? Even temple grounds with a lot of trees? It's possible they are there. They should be anyway.

I don't know if this is the case, but I assume that the ashy that come to my Soi every September/October to Mid-April are the same individuals year in and year out. No way to prove that unless i were to catch one and ring it which i don't have the ability to do. I wonder the same about the AB Flycatchers on my Soi each "winter." Are they the same individuals year in and year out. I don't have the answer.

I can confirm that the same Chinese Pond Herons come back to my garden each year. I can tell because one individual has a damaged left leg and limps.

• Like 2

I still have plenty of Black Drongos around, but haven't seen an Ashy this spring.

Another 'winter visitor' which I'm seeing these days is the Little Heron..... one yesterday, and two today, all in different locations. Quite late by my experience.

Also today, a pair of Brahminy Kites keeping the crows at bay while their single chick took its maiden flight.... quite a display.

Meanwhile, the Rufous-winged Buzzards have two large, white, fluffy chicks.