• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to get a BIF of a White-throated Kingfisher-hope you like it        

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

Obviously not in my garden, but in Kaeng Krachana NP last week. Also saw a lot of Grey Wagtails which are among the earliest of the winter visitors reminding me that it's time to keep my eyes open in

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The bird's nest in my helmet hung from my handlebars is metres away from our front door. We have a decent sized garden with lots of trees and live next to farmland so interesting that the nest is so close to people (its in a covered area, which is patrolled by tookay). Impressive nest.

Anybody know what bird it is based on the one egg (nest just noticed this morning so my wife who sent me the pictures doesn't know if its old or the parents are still on it)?

1496116068934.jpg

1496116070755.jpg

Possibly Streak-eared Bulbul

The helmet is about hip height outside the front door.

You can see the parent sitting on the egg.

It flies off about 5 metres to the tree to the side when anyone passes. If you're eagle-eyed you can just about see it centre of the photo.

Bird is?

1496161128411.jpg

1496161134596.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

We have a 2nd egg today (i never knew birds didn't lay their eggs at the same time)

Wiki..."This is a species adapted to humans and may even nest in gardens. The yellow-vented bulbul lays 2–5 eggs in February to June."

1496196894549.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

^Thanks for the id. Yes we see lots of Yellow-vented Bulbul's in the garden...even to my colour-blind eyes the yellow vent is easy to see and very attractive. Wife has confirmed there the's a male and female coming and going

Don't have books with me, but in 91, Lekagul/ Round had YV Bulbul for BKK and south only I think. When I first saw them in Surin some 8 or so years ago it was kind of news. But they are on the move. Now up in Laos as well. 

Yes some good photos here!

Just a tip for you guys posting:

After writing text or adding a photo, hit the return button before adding a new image or text.. that way the page will show a single line... better for those who view with small screens!

1 minute ago, thetefldon said:

Yes, have a pair in garden, here 350km north of Bangkok

yvbb-2 (2).jpg

Yep. When I fist saw a pair in my garden in Surin in April 2009, Isanbirder (who is sadly no longer with us) questioned my sight record. He lived an hour from me and had never seen them in his area. I got photos not long thereafter so that settled that. They weren't common in my garden there (as they are here in Chonburi) but common enough to the area that I generally sighted them once a month or so. 

• Like 2