Birds in your garden

21 hours ago, sometime said:

Don't forget to scub the birdbath out one a week or they soon go slimey

Indeed! I noticed straight after I installed it that some birds sat on the edge, looking out, and then poop in it! Eew! So I have an old non-stick ladle hanging on a nearby tree for emptying it.

I also buried a plastic pipe in the garden so that I can fill it from a garden tap. At the bird-bath end, it goes up the centre of the "plinth", and up through a hole I drilled in the centre of the saucer on top.  ????

On 5/20/2020 at 1:02 AM, Skeptic7 said:

For a compact which delivers a BIG punch... 

Sony CyberShot DSC-HX80. Zeiss lens. 18MP. Max 30x optical zoom (24mm-720mm)

For a fuller sized "Bridge" camera... 

Canon PowerShot SX70 HS

Max 65x optical zoom (21mm-1365mm). 20MP

I own both and highly recommended both. Both excellent stills and vids. Both are SuperZooms. 

Hi Skeptic7 - I found a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX99 available at Big Camera. I presume this is the latest version of your HX80.

One feature that I wanted is the ability to control the camera from my Android phone and upload the pictures to the internet via WiFi. I'm guessing that this is all possible with Sony's "Imaging Edge Mobile" app: https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-gb/ie-mobile.html

So I can set the camera up on a tripod and when I see something interesting around the bird-bath, I can photograph it or video it from a distance.

Have you ever used this feature?

50 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Hi Skeptic7 - I found a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX99 available at Big Camera. I presume this is the latest version of your HX80.

One feature that I wanted is the ability to control the camera from my Android phone and upload the pictures to the internet via WiFi. I'm guessing that this is all possible with Sony's "Imaging Edge Mobile" app: https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-gb/ie-mobile.html

So I can set the camera up on a tripod and when I see something interesting around the bird-bath, I can photograph it or video it from a distance.

Have you ever used this feature?

Not sure about remote control of this camera or if the app allows remote operation. While I usually manually load the pix to my laptop the "old school" way (inserting the mem card into my laptop)...I do occasionally use the Imaging Edge Mobile app to transfer pix to my phone by Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I always do some cropping and other editing before posting pix anywhere. Hope this helps. 

(For an excellent FREE mobile editing app: Adobe Photoshop Express. Compatible with all devices.)

Edited by Skeptic7

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not sure about remote control of this camera or if the app allows remote operation. While I usually manually load the pix to my laptop the "old school" way (inserting the mem card into my laptop)...I do occasionally use the Imaging Edge Mobile app to transfer pix to my phone by Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I always do some cropping and other editing before posting pix anywhere. Hope this helps. 

(For an excellent FREE mobile editing app: Adobe Photoshop Express. Compatible with all devices.)

OK, looks like I'll have to get a demo in the shop. Here's the feature that caught my eye:

185639352_SonyRemote.JPG.006565ef5f01415e36dfdf7c9e2fbdac.JPG

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-gb/ie-mobile.html

I just downloaded Adobe Photoshop Express - looks interesting!

Update:

I also just had a look at the Sony camera control app "Imaging Edge Mobile" on Google play store. I've never read such a load of bad reviews: https://bit.ly/2A0YLwl

So bad, in fact, that I'm now thinking of going with a different camera.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Indeed! I noticed straight after I installed it that some birds sat on the edge, looking out, and then poop in it! Eew! So I have an old non-stick ladle hanging on a nearby tree for emptying it.

I also buried a plastic pipe in the garden so that I can fill it from a garden tap. At the bird-bath end, it goes up the centre of the "plinth", and up through a hole I drilled in the centre of the saucer on top.  ????

I've heard that a piece of copper in the water really slows down the slime growing.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:24 PM, JetsetBkk said:

OK, looks like I'll have to get a demo in the shop. Here's the feature that caught my eye:

185639352_SonyRemote.JPG.006565ef5f01415e36dfdf7c9e2fbdac.JPG

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-gb/ie-mobile.html

I just downloaded Adobe Photoshop Express - looks interesting!

Update:

I also just had a look at the Sony camera control app "Imaging Edge Mobile" on Google play store. I've never read such a load of bad reviews: https://bit.ly/2A0YLwl

So bad, in fact, that I'm now thinking of going with a different camera.

A decent camera helps but its the person behind it that really matters

On 6/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, sometime said:

A decent camera helps but its the person behind it that really matters

So are you saying that all those people who gave bad reviews of this Sony app don't know what they are doing?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I hope that you are still in Thailand and reading this thread.

I just found your photo of the Kingfisher and that has answered my question. I had one fly into my window the other day and I have been trying to find out what kind of Kingfisher is was.

Thank you and yes. They are beautiful.

IMG_3644.thumb.jpg.dc9adec70a04a4743ede74c6db7b8f1e.jpg

Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thetefldon said:

Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher

aka Black-backed Kingfisher. Scientific name: Ceyx erithaca

Birds of the World (Cornell University) refers to the common name now as Black-backed Dwarf Kingfisher.

https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/bkbkin1/cur/introduction

Edited by Skeptic7

24 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Baya Weaver nests. 

They are very interesting to watch in their hanging bird villages. This is the first year we had some nest in our garden...at the top of a very tall coconut tree. They are always busy and making a fuss. I did not know what they were called either. 

• Like 1

Found this guy randomly sitting in the middle of our lawn. 

The only birds nesting in the garden are pair of pied starlings. They have young in the nest as I can hear them when parents go to feed them. Problem is nest is more than 20 meters at top of our tallest palm. Can't reach it. I have no idea how it survived the fall..and how it got on the front lawn which is a long way from the palm tree.

I put it in a basket tied to the side of a tree in view of the nest. But parents did not come to feed it all day. 

It was looking weaker and dehydrated by evening so I decided to hand rear it. That was 4 days ago and it's grown a lot and got more feathers...plus eating well and very healthy...but smelly! 

I don't want a pet bird, and need advise how to release it when it's at fledging stage. Will the parents remember it and feed it if I put it outside the time the other young are leaving the nest? Will it remember to feed off it's parents? 

Thanks. 

Screenshot_20200701-125256~2.png

• 2 months later...

a few days ago i had a couple of chick-like birds.
The mother was identical to the cub, and the father was black.
Or the opposite.
But not at all a myna.
From a distance, I even thought it was a two-colored hawk.
I did not find on the internet "birds of Thailand", nor on some bird books (Europe-Africa)

yes, it's that bird.
On the other hand, the male was very dark and apparently plain plumage.
In HUA HIN, right in the center, for a fortnight, we could see them "courting each other".
I think they must have materialized, since they never reappeared.

• Like 1

Tadpoles, earthworms, small snails, insects, like beetles, caterpillars, shrub fruits, or crushed bananas.
Wet bread mixed with a cooked egg yolk is good for the start. Then add cooked rice and the other ingredients.
Either way, a bird eats all the time and will not starve to death unless it is very sick or at the end of its life.
Don't forget to give it water and freedom.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can any birder on this thread ID which bird is making this call? I hear it often in my area but can never see it.

The bird is the one making the sound ...gurrr gurrr gurrr.....gurrr gurrr gurrr....sounds like it's inside I terracotta plant pot (not the calling zebra dove)

Edited by jak2002003