Birds in your garden

• 6 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

You may remember that I've had Yellow-vented Bulbuls nesting and rearing chicks in my cycling helmet hanging from the handlebars right outside my front door on three occasions in recent years, always about this time of the year. Went to have a look at the nest in the helmet yesterday (they use the same nest and work on it before laying eggs) and was gutted to find that the nest has been raided for its materials and dismantled - its almost gone - it was in tact last time I looked a fortnight back. Have to assume its the same pair of Yellow-vented Bulbuls, and maybe as they have not been successful rearing they have decided to move the nest location. Hope to see where they have moved to. Gutted!

The pair never did come back to use the cycling helmet in the garden to nest in again.

Often see a pair of yellow-vented bulbuls in various places in my garden, which I assume are the pair from the helmet.

While I've been working from home, I've often seen them on the other side of the house from the garden that looks out on to fields. About an hour ago I saw the adults with 2 fledgling on the fence. The adults were trying to get the youngsters to fly, but they'd only flit about a foot or so along the fence. The four of them have gone now so either it was a successful maiden flight for the pair, or they're face down in the khlong the other side of the fence. Anyway it was a lovely sight to see and great to finally see some young reared bulbuls after all these years of failure.

• Like 1

My garden in lower sukhumvit bangkok has been bursting at the seams with bird life recently. Not to mentiin tokays, skinks, and the occasional snake.

Oriental Magpie robins. these guys are great, they come daily when I feed my koi.  I make sure to throw some koi food on the sidewalk  outside my pond. Noisy as <deleted> too.

Oriental_Magpie-Robin_-_Thailand_S4E7730

Black naped Yellow orioles

Black-hooded+Oriole.png

And olive backed subirds seen today

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHchNjW-yJsSlUwbTz1Od

There are so many others, but these seem to be most notable.

Also rarely seen but in obvious abundance is this <deleted>

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, n00dle said:

My garden in lower sukhumvit bangkok has been bursting at the seams with bird life recently. Not to mentiin tokays, skinks, and the occasional snake.

Oriental Magpie robins. these guys are great, they come daily when I feed my koi.  I make sure to throw some koi food on the sidewalk  outside my pond. Noisy as <deleted> too.

Black-hooded+Oriole.png

Many thanks for the video clip, now I know what this bird is called, noisy every late afternoon and early ( 3am ) morning.
Locally have what locals call "Thai chicken" dark brown or black feathers with rust coloured breast.   Could you tell me what this one is called ?

There is a solitary crow that has been mobbed by smaller birds.
Hoopoe and swifts / swallows ( ? ) every day around 5.30pm.

Used to have a "budgie" that came to visit with other birds every morning for about 3 years, haven't seen for over a year.

There used to be a family of owls but they were netted one night and all died along with many other smaller birds.    Obviously the "catchers" had taken what they wanted and the rest left to die.

Flooding in September 2019 changed the natural plant and wildlife species so other birds are less.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Black-hooded+Oriole.png

I'm impressed with the oriole and sunbird in your garden.

Everybody hates the koel (In the vid) but I love them. They come and go at my garden area, but when I was working recently at a government place on the chaophya river with beautiful gardens and massive raintrees, there were koels a plenty and they weren't at all shy like the ones at my place.

36 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Everybody hates the koel (In the vid) but I love them. They come and go at my garden area, but when I was working recently at a government place on the chaophya river with beautiful gardens and massive raintrees, there were koels a plenty and they weren't at all shy like the ones at my place.

I have a soft spot for the Koels after I rescued and hand reared one.  

I found it as a baby having been thrown out of a nest of Asian collared starlings in my garden. I thought it was a baby starling, and, as I could not reach the nest I decided to hand rear it. 

As it grew it became apparent it was all black feathers and massive mouth. I was confused what kind of bird it was, untill it grew into a koel. It also stank with a strange body odour, even though it was very clean. So it for called 'stinky'.  

I was worried it might have become too tame to release, but they must not inprint on their parents or humans like other birds can do, perhaps as it's related to Cuckoo's.  Once it could fly and feed itself it got quickly very wild and acted very scared of me, like it was a wild bird I had caught. 

I was able to let it free and left food out for it on my wall. Never saw it again...but suspect it was fine as they are very secretive birds anyway. This year we have a lot calling in our area and I like to think my one is one of them. 

They have very interesting behaviours and life cycles too, which I learnt about when researching what to feed it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

Black-hooded+Oriole.png

HI. Certainly you have Black-naped Orioles in BKK, but the bird in the photo is a Black-hooded Oriole.

Below is a Black-naped I snapped in BKK a couple years back. 

DSC03332.JPG.4f4dfadb8ceee30946c62e78c577fed1.JPG.fe4ee519d512a40788faffe223e4a159.JPG

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yeah, those photos were pulled off the internet, but work from home and am comstantly amazed at the birds I see in the yard and out my windows.

The orioles are brilliant, but the magpie robbins are just plain coll, so much attitude, daily visits and dive bombing the cat.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

HI. Certainly you have Black-naped Orioles in BKK, but the bird in the photo is a Black-hooded Oriole.

Below is a Black-naped I snapped in BKK a couple years back. 

DSC03332.JPG.4f4dfadb8ceee30946c62e78c577fed1.JPG.fe4ee519d512a40788faffe223e4a159.JPG

Yes, I saw yellow, and posted a link. It is black naped rather than black hooded.

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

<snip>

I bought an air pistol because of that "deleted" bird. I never hit it because it was always too high up in the trees, but I managed to scare it off a few times. I've no idea what the neighbours thought hearing this "deleted" Nok Gow-wow followed by a couple of rapid bangs.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, n00dle said:

<snip>

My absolute favourite bird in Thailand. I hear just two different calls near my house. Maybe there are only two birds! The one I managed to video was not singing my favourite tune, but still lovely.

29 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

My absolute favourite bird in Thailand. I hear just two different calls near my house. Maybe there are only two birds! The one I managed to video was not singing my favourite tune, but still lovely.

Mine are a mating pair pretty obviously, they switch off to take the koi pellets, one is always nearby watching. So much twitchy attitude, like noisly little coke fiends in tuxedos. 

Ill see if I can catch them on video tomorrow. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Mine are a mating pair pretty obviously, they switch off to take the koi pellets, one is always nearby watching. So much twitchy attitude, like noisly little coke fiends in tuxedos. 

Ill see if I can catch them on video tomorrow. 

I really must buy a decent video camera. I haven't done much quality videoing since I bought the mobile phone, but my old camera was so much better. I think that Oriental Magpie video was over 5 years ago. I have some videos of a hoopoe bird in my garden, but the quality on the phone is so poor I don't want to upload it!

On 4/1/2021 at 1:37 PM, jak2002003 said:

I have a soft spot for the Koels after I rescued and hand reared one.  

I found it as a baby having been thrown out of a nest of Asian collared starlings in my garden. I thought it was a baby starling, and, as I could not reach the nest I decided to hand rear it. 

As it grew it became apparent it was all black feathers and massive mouth. I was confused what kind of bird it was, untill it grew into a koel. It also stank with a strange body odour, even though it was very clean. So it for called 'stinky'.  

I was worried it might have become too tame to release, but they must not inprint on their parents or humans like other birds can do, perhaps as it's related to Cuckoo's.  Once it could fly and feed itself it got quickly very wild and acted very scared of me, like it was a wild bird I had caught. 

I was able to let it free and left food out for it on my wall. Never saw it again...but suspect it was fine as they are very secretive birds anyway. This year we have a lot calling in our area and I like to think my one is one of them. 

They have very interesting behaviours and life cycles too, which I learnt about when researching what to feed it.

Lovely story, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, for several years, I attract birds of all kinds, and even squirrels, with raw rice, fruits, mainly bananas, bread.
Do not forget to put them water (renewed every day) in a coaster. They will come to drink and bathe.
It will take a while, especially if they are not used to it, but it is worth it.
Watch out for pigeons, in 5 minutes they will eat everything you give and nothing for others.
Have fun.

We were in the US for 13 months......within an hour of returning, our pair of white-rump shama birds returned begging for meal worm handouts.  

Our Swiss neighbor and his Thai wife had an orange bat show up inside their home recently.  We've been here for 25 years.....first I've seen/heard of such an animal.  The photo I attached is one I downloaded, but I've seen the photo they took of the one inside their home.  Tiny and very bright orange.

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1GFDTqibCTEYzHJdlS0QeOaspbAlb.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

We were in the US for 13 months......within an hour of returning, our pair of white-rump shama birds returned begging for meal worm handouts.  

Our Swiss neighbor and his Thai wife had an orange bat show up inside their home recently.  We've been here for 25 years.....first I've seen/heard of such an animal.  The photo I attached is one I downloaded, but I've seen the photo they took of the one inside their home.  Tiny and very bright orange.

Painted Bat methinks. Tiny and bright orange. 

6 hours ago, maddermax said:

Has anybody found placing a bird table in their garden useful in attracting birds? If so, what type of food did you place on it?

Tks

I buy this stuff from Supercheap:

570064229_BirdSeed300.jpg.5c7d663cf5aa121a28f03efbd2711a53.jpg

In fact, I just filled the bird feeders:

400193035_BirdTableside600.jpg.189431df7e491df1feb5e6cdafa93ce3.jpg

It's full now but will probably be empty by tomorrow night.

The birds also like my cat's food: Friskies "Surfin' Favourites" - so do the cats.

So I put some on the front bird table for them:

1282973770_BirdTableFront600.jpg.3f01051acf9aef8d542f2f9764e57b10.jpg

I also have three ridiculously large oil palm trees.

The birds love the fruit but keep leaving the seeds all over the place:

820458321_BirdPalmTreeFruit600.jpg.f3b89756fa07d5c56b7c57d2c1fe8066.jpg

8 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I dont know what kind of bat they are but they are very cute.