Birds in your garden

There are dozens of birds in the garden, and even more at the farm.  But while I was in the undergrowth the other day, picking up rubbish that had been blown about, I found three beautiful feathers. These feathers were striking in their brightness.

I left them in the pick-up for a few days before this morning. They had faded a little; or at least I think they had. Should have snapped them when I first got hold of them.

1697098776_fea02.png.c410c71d5139030475efea2346ab1263.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There are dozens of birds in the garden, and even more at the farm.  But while I was in the undergrowth the other day, picking up rubbish that had been blown about, I found three beautiful feathers. These feathers were striking in their brightness.

I left them in the pick-up for a few days before this morning. They had faded a little; or at least I think they had. Should have snapped them when I first got hold of them.

1697098776_fea02.png.c410c71d5139030475efea2346ab1263.png

Indochinese Roller. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asf6 said:

Yes, Indian Roller.

FYI to anyone interested and for accuracy...previously this bird was called "Indian Roller" (Coracias benghalensis) here in Thailand and I like that common name better, but that is no longer correct. It's been determined they are 2 separate species. So for about 5 years now, it's Indochinese Roller (Coracias affinis) found in Thailand, not Indian Roller (Coracias benghalensis) which is found throughout India. See range map below. 

PSX_20230303_142528.thumb.png.e3447ce437bf2ce76467ca64e5735365.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

FYI to anyone interested and for accuracy...previously this bird was called "Indian Roller" (Coracias benghalensis) here in Thailand and I like that common name better, but that is no longer correct. It's been determined they are 2 separate species. So for about 5 years now, it's Indochinese Roller (Coracias affinis) found in Thailand, not Indian Roller (Coracias benghalensis) which is found throughout India. See range map below. 

PSX_20230303_142528.thumb.png.e3447ce437bf2ce76467ca64e5735365.png

Thanks for that Skeptic.

Certainly has beautiful feathers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 8:58 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Just bird nerdy FYI...Not called Spangled Drongo here anymore. It's now Hair-crested Drongo (Dicrurus hottentottus) in Thailand (and Asia). Whereas Spangled Drongo (Dicrurus bracteatus) is found N and E Australia and New Guinea. They were formerly considered the same species. 

Thanks, Skeptic7. 

• Thumbs Up 1