Birds in your garden

Nice to see.

With the amount of predators (baby monitors, tukkae, snakes, other birds, etc) in my garden, its been very rare occasion that chicks have fledged.

Baby monitor lizard living in a drain, getting braver and braver, starts travelling around the garden, got caught by the green tree snake. We set it free as you see in the video. Lizard went up the tree, snake along the ground but it doubled-back up the tree and caught the lizard again. Wife set the lizard free a 2nd time...we then left them to it. Can't imagine the lizard survived as the snake was quick.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

I regularly see an unusual pair in the soi. They squawk like Mynahs, they strut like mynahs, they are the same size and shape as Mynahs, but they are less reluctant to fly as Mynahs.  They have black backs and wings, but white heads and bellies. I cannot get close enough  to photograph, nor can I find anything in my book nor on Google which resembles them closely enough. What might they be?

3 hours ago, Maybole said:

I regularly see an unusual pair in the soi. They squawk like Mynahs, they strut like mynahs, they are the same size and shape as Mynahs, but they are less reluctant to fly as Mynahs.  They have black backs and wings, but white heads and bellies. I cannot get close enough  to photograph, nor can I find anything in my book nor on Google which resembles them closely enough. What might they be?

Maybe......

Screenshot_2023-05-02-18-25-07-51_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg.26a3587dd7743d4311ada0061b2f42c8.jpg

Asian Collared starling 

Or Asia pied starling

Screenshot_2023-05-02-18-25-56-83_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg.24ac99fda0ccb251af54cef478f6af34.jpg

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Anyone know what this bird is? It can't fly and we don't know what to feed it. Looks like an insect-eater though. 

This is on the outskirts of Bangkok. 

IMG_20230704_100425.jpg

Was thinking bulbul, but not with the ring around the eye.   You are correct though, probably an insect eater and not exactly young and may recover quickly.

Any obvious injury ?  A snap of its underside may help.  The insect eater is all one needs to know.

Water would be the priority for it, and maybe get some mealy worms and crush 'em up for it.

May want to put some small stones/gravel down for it also, as some birds use to help with digestion.

Maybe a juvenile Taiga Flycatcher.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, orientalist said:

Anyone know what this bird is? It can't fly and we don't know what to feed it. Looks like an insect-eater though. 

Juvenile Common Iora. Insectivore, but also eats fruit and berries. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, orientalist said:

Doing an image search on Google it looks more like a Green Iora. So far, it is green all over. But it seems to be weak or injured so I'm not sure we'll get to see it's adult plumage. 

It's a juvenile Common Iora.

FYI...Bangkok is out of Green Iora range. It's strictly a peninsular species in Thailand and the Thai pennisula is the absolute northern most of it's range. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Those are Asian Openbill Storks. 

These days they are the only species of stork doing well here in Thailand...other species extinct or critically  endangered, due to habitat loss. 

The Asian Openbill Stork was lucky due to humans introducing the invasive apple snail from Africa.  This bird feeds almost exclusively on snails, and the large apple snails are a good and plentiful supply of food for them in the rice fields.  

Farmers also appreciate the storks for eating the snails. So it's turned out to be a win win situation. 

Ops, thanks for that and the information, Storks not Herons, I am in Lopburi province, not a lot of rice grown in this area, mainly cassava, maize, sugar cane up to a few years ago never saw any Storks in this area,

This year being so dry everything is late very little rice being harvested, I would say that is why they is so many on one field. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...