Birds in your garden

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's that season, and a bunch of Green Bee-eaters around the house & garden areas.

DSN04926-2DN.jpg

DSN04924DN.jpg

DSN04927DN.jpg

Those are sure pretty birds!!

almost 20 years in Thailand and I have never seen one.

We are in Knon Kaen . 

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Those are sure pretty birds!!

almost 20 years in Thailand and I have never seen one.

We are in Knon Kaen . 

Really ... hard to miss them here, year round, though they get listed as a seasonal bird.   We got at least 10 within 100 meters of the house.   Usually a few perched around the garden & house, and the electric line, running down the soi to main road.  Always a few lined up on that.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really ... hard to miss them here, year round, though they get listed as a seasonal bird.   We got at least 10 within 100 meters of the house.   Usually a few perched around the garden & house, and the electric line, running down the soi to main road.  Always a few lined up on that.

They  are also seasonal in Australia but the birds are a different species and called rainbow bee eaters.

Kelvin-Marshall-Rainbow-bee-eater-1.jpg

38 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They  are also seasonal in Australia but the birds are a different species and called rainbow bee eaters.

Kelvin-Marshall-Rainbow-bee-eater-1.jpg

I can't wrap my head around all the species names of birds.   Some of the differences are so slight, its just silly.  Even just the eye color will get you a different species.

Humans aren't separated into species because of our eye color.   

I got like 170 different species photos in TH.  Then when I see an ebird alert I have in Gmail, about a rare bird spotted locally, I think, I got a snap of that, I just didn't look for that silly difference, whether eye color, or squared vs forked tail feathers.   So could probably add another 20-25 to my list of.

Too lazy to go back and sort through my 1000's of photos, just to add a few, almost identical bird to a sub species list.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I can't wrap my head around all the species names of birds.   Some of the differences are so slight, its just silly.  Even just the eye color will get you a different species.

Humans aren't separated into species because of our eye color.   

I got like 170 different species photos in TH.  Then when I see and ebird alert I have in Gmail, about a rare bird spotted locally, I think, I got a snap of that, I just didn't look for that silly difference, whether eye color, or squared vs forked tail feathers.   So could probably add another 20-25 to my list of.

Too lazy to go back and sort through my 1000's of photos, just to add a few, almost identical bird to a sub species.

They're separated into species when they don't interbreed. That basically translates into habitat ranges. Birds of a different color that could interbreed but don't due to geographical separation are a different species.

In Australia we have rainbow lorikeets. They look a little like the bee eaters here but more colorful and larger as they are parrots. They extend all around the northern and eastern coasts of Australia and vary quite a lot in color in different areas but they are a single species. The reason for this is the birds do interbreed at the edges of their range and the total range is unbroken for thousands of miles. Within any given habitat there is little or no variation in colors.

Then there is the Gouldian Finch. It has three main color variations but they all live together and interbreed. They are a single species. Black Cockatoos have 2 color variations with a habitat. I've never been able to figure out why and why one doesn't get bred out.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

That bloody bird is back ,must be mating season again , it's sitting in a huge rain tree

at rear of the house and all day long just giving out this one note call ,over and over

and in distance there's another calling back ,wish it would change it's tune... did you

have them in your area. you'll know them by their call , one note over and over

regards worgeordie

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

That bloody bird is back ,must be mating season again , it's sitting in a huge rain tree

at rear of the house and all day long just giving out this one note call ,over and over

and in distance there's another calling back ,wish it would change it's tune... did you

regards worgeordie

Day and night in Pratumnak, Pattaya. I call it the Christmas bird as that is when it usually starts

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:12 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Not as bad as what we call the knock knock bird it just sounds like someone knocking constantly, no idea what it is, any ideas please

31 minutes ago, sometime said:

Not as bad as what we call the knock knock bird it just sounds like someone knocking constantly, no idea what it is, any ideas please

If the one in vid I posted above, then just as labeled ... Asian Koel

On 3/8/2016 at 11:59 AM, KC 71 said:

They seem to like dog food and generally help themselves !

Yes, so do rats apparently. We feed the dogs (we have 6) a cooked meal in the evening of rice and meat, but during the day have commercial hard dog food in various locations around the property. My wife saw a rat eating in the dog bowl during the evening.

We have one 'Sings' all bloody night sound like it's saying "For real, for real for real'' even when my daughter visited last year she said it sounds like For real.

There was one Cockerel that sounded like "Light the Barbecue" hadn't heard it all year so maybe.....:whistling:

1 hour ago, sometime said:

Surely Coppersmith Barbet. My pic snapped in Jomtien. 

IMG_1013_edited.thumb.jpg.2d0dc0c07bc9f3af2092c98957beb026.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

We have one 'Sings' all bloody night sound like it's saying "For real, for real for real'' even when my daughter visited last year she said it sounds like For real.

There was one Cockerel that sounded like "Light the Barbecue" hadn't heard it all year so maybe.....:whistling:

Gao-WAO Gao-WAO Gao-WAO...as @KhunLA shared...Asian Koel. 

Edited by Skeptic7

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Surely Coppersmith Barbet. My pic snapped in Jomtien. 

IMG_1013_edited.thumb.jpg.2d0dc0c07bc9f3af2092c98957beb026.jpg

Sorry no i listened on YT not deep enough, I found it https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/204476-Caprimulgus-macrurus

This is the sound not the first few seconds & this is the site I found it on https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nocturnal-birds-in-thailand

7 minutes ago, sometime said:

Sorry no i listened on YT not deep enough, I found it https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/204476-Caprimulgus-macrurus

This is the sound not the first few seconds & this is the site I found it on https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nocturnal-birds-in-thailand

OK yes, Nightjar makes sense (I've heard them)...now that you've mentioned nocturnal. Wouldn't have suggested the Barbet in that case, as not aware of them ever calling at night. 

42 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Are there any recommendations for a pocket-sized field guide to the birds of Thailand, please? 

I think easier would be, maybe going to ebird site, and 'explore photos', putting in you location, to filter what has been photographed there, as they are the one you most likely will see.

If see something familiar, hover mouse over and will tell what it is, or open, and give you all the details, what, where & when photo taken.

I would think easier the flipping through pages of a book.  Since over 1000 bird species here, and only about 5-600 photographed.   Some difference in species are so slight, you wouldn't notice.

Advantage of book might be, sectioned by beak/bill - diet/seed, insect, bit more carnivore.

If you take a photo of said bird, then Glens will usually tell you what it is, or give you a couple options.  Cross reference to see if it hangs out in your area.  Won't take long before you'll remember the 50 of so species, that you'll probably notice the most.

I'm surprised how quick I learned & remember so many.  Even the wife can spot & ID them, and she just listens to me yakking about them, while driving around.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:53 AM, sometime said:

I always wanted to know what bird made that sound. We have lots around us in the forest. Can never see them. 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:13 PM, Skeptic7 said:

OK yes, Nightjar makes sense (I've heard them)...now that you've mentioned nocturnal. Wouldn't have suggested the Barbet in that case, as not aware of them ever calling at night. 

Interesting. I've never heard this bird. It says in your link that it is endemic to northern Australia as well. It looks like a cane toad with wings.

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Interesting. I've never heard this bird. It says in your link that it is endemic to northern Australia as well. It looks like a cane toad with wings.

Don't know about Australia (that was someone else), but there are 6 species of Nightjar in Thailand. Frogmouths are similar birds, but not Nightjars. I've seen 1 and heard 3 of Thailand's Nightjars. There are about 6 in North America. I seen and heard 3 of those, including Common Nighthawk. 

Had to look this part up, but there are between 60 and 97 species of Nightjar in the world, depending on whether Nighthawks (and others) are included in the family. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...