21 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sadly the 4 day old bulbul chick died yesterday. Saw at 6am one bird on the nest and the other next to it on the helmet which I'd never seen before so suspected something. Had a look at 6.30am on my way out and the chick was on its back dead with two swellings: one in its neck area and a bigger one belly area. At 8am the wife had a look on her way out and the birds had removed the chick from the nest. The birds hung around for a while on the unhatched egg but have now moved on: unsuccessful for the 2nd time with chicks.

I wonder what the survival rate is. Last time I had YVBB nesting in my garden, both chicks died as well. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to get a BIF of a White-throated Kingfisher-hope you like it        

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

Obviously not in my garden, but in Kaeng Krachana NP last week. Also saw a lot of Grey Wagtails which are among the earliest of the winter visitors reminding me that it's time to keep my eyes open in

Posted Images

It is bizarre that we have 3 or 4 complete YVBB nest failures, of the 3 or 4 reported, for.such an abundant species. There certainly is no shortage of them. Saw a couple young birds with parents here recently. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else hear Plaintive Cuckoo every single day no matter where they are. I am in Bangsaen, Chonburi listening to one right now. I hear one every day. Last year i lived in Bangkok all year. I heard one every day. Everywhere i go, every day. I feel like I am being followed. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

I wonder what the survival rate is. Last time I had YVBB nesting in my garden, both chicks died as well. 

Just read in The Birds of the Bangkok Area that of 10 nests that details are available...5 failed! 2 during egg stage and 3 sometime after hatching. Interesting.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Does anyone else hear Plaintive Cuckoo every single day no matter where they are. I am in Bangsaen, Chonburi listening to one right now. I hear one every day. Last year i lived in Bangkok all year. I heard one every day. Everywhere i go, every day. I feel like I am being followed. 

Haha...yes! Was literally watching one sing both songs when you posted. 

Friend of mine...not into birds...lives in Chantanaburi...whistled a tune and asked if I knew what bird? Plaintive Cuckoo I responded. He said...they sure love to sing!

• Like 1

Thanks Skeptic7.....err any tips in  uploading photos so they don't get too 'in-your-face'?

I resized these to 800x600 with Irfanview. Guess I need to drop dimensions more?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jack2964 said:

Here's a success story; fledgling and presumably mom stopped by my backyard recently.

hoopoe fledgling1.jpg

hoopoe fledgling2.jpg

Beautiful... these are my all time favourite birds here.  They remind me of the cartoon character Woody Woodpecker.  

I have seem a few on the dry rice fields behind my house, but never seen a fledgling.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

It is bizarre that we have 3 or 4 complete YVBB nest failures, of the 3 or 4 reported, for.such an abundant species. There certainly is no shortage of them. Saw a couple young birds with parents here recently. 

We have them nesting every year in a small shrub on our patio.  For 4 years they reared all their young successfully.  Only one time did the young get spooked  and left the nest too early, and then sadly my dog saw them and ate one in a split second before I could catch it.. the other one managed to escape unharmed into the bushes at the back of the garden.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jack2964 said:

Thanks Skeptic7.....err any tips in  uploading photos so they don't get too 'in-your-face'?

I resized these to 800x600 with Irfanview. Guess I need to drop dimensions more?

These pix look normal on my Android smartphone and HIGH quality. Haven't looked on my laptop, but surely they're fine there too.

I too resize my pix with a photo resizer for Windows on my laptop and an app on my Android devices.

5 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

I hear plenty of these guys around...never seen one, though...

a 'plaintive cuckoo'?...wonder what a raucous one sounds like...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

These pix look normal on my Android smartphone and HIGH quality. Haven't looked on my laptop, but surely they're fine there too.

I too resize my pix with a photo resizer for Windows on my laptop and an app on my Android devices.

I resize in lightroom on export, always make long edge 1024 pix since it works well on Twitter, I post same here. Think it's a good idea to make multi image a similar size when posting on here.  Not sure what TV does with them, just compression I guess, not resizing?

4 hours ago, jack2964 said:

If you right click on your images and look for "view image info" you will see that they are much larger than 800 x 600.

Top one is:2,048px × 1,366px (scaled to 1,284px × 856px)

Bottom one : 769px × 1,152px

Not familiar with software you are using.

I export from Lightroom, long edge 1024 pix which seems to work quite well on the web.