Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

For people who hare not up to scratch with their bird ID, could you tell us which each species is please?

Great photos!!!

 

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to get a BIF of a White-throated Kingfisher-hope you like it        

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

Obviously not in my garden, but in Kaeng Krachana NP last week. Also saw a lot of Grey Wagtails which are among the earliest of the winter visitors reminding me that it's time to keep my eyes open in

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

Thank you so much.

 

I love the Oriental White-Eye birds.  Never seen them here in Chiang Mai.  I think I saw them in Vietnam kept in bird cages for their song.  The Brahminy Kite is on my wish list.  Not seen them in CM either (told they used to be common here... same as vultures in the old days).  Seems a lot of the bird species are on the decline.  Even the blue magpies we used to see here have gone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival. Seems a lot of the winter visitors are early this year. 

 

ID'd first by call around 5:00 PM, found and photographed just down the soi at 5:17 PM. Annual winter visitor on my soi, but usually doesn't arrive until first week of October according to my records (7 October last year). 18 photos, but none much better than this (cropped) one.

Ashy Drongo_28_9_18_Bangsaen Chonburi.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival.

NICE...new early date. Crushed the old one! We were always keen on getting new early/late dates of migrants in GA (SE USA) years ago! :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

 

On a nightly basis I can also hear them flying around and screeching.

 

Just this morning a baby kingfisher got into the house.  

 

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

 

On a nightly basis I can also hear them flying around and screeching.

 

Just this morning a baby kingfisher got into the house.  

 

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

So being in Phuket doesn't narrow the likely possibilities down much, like being in BKK or Issan would. Common is a likely possibility down there...as well as other small Kingfishers like Blue-eared and Blue-banded. Post a pic sometime, when/if possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the first annual eBird (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) October Global Big Day. Cornell has had a May Global Big Day for the past 4 years and only added Oct this year. 

 

First things first...added long anticipated Gray Heron (#68) to the BKK patch! A pair flying over around 4:30pm. 

 

My Big Day stats at the patch were 36 total species and highlights...

 

Gray Heron (2) new yard sp

 

first of season Ashy Drongo (1) and Brown Shrike (1)

 

1 Red Collared-dove (aka Red Turtle-Dove) is infrequent here, but seen a few times each year

 

11 Pink-necked Pigeon (all time high count)

 

20 Chinese Pond Heron (all time high count)

 

Unfortunately no Indian Roller today, but did have one the past 2 of 3 days. No Plain Prinia today and no Asian Openbill, which were hoped for and somewhat expected. 

 

Anyone else participate? 

 

As a really far and away aside...was in Michigan, USA for this past May eBird Big Day and was not intending on birding, but saw a Bald Eagle soaring over Willow Run Airport, which gave me the itch. Overall pretty mundane, but besides the eagle the other highlight was an Upland Sandpiper. Neither were lifers, but still always cool to see. The Upland even did his classic "wolf whistle" call. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

White Vented Myna bird info....  surprising (at least to me).

 

I just found out  the White Vented Myna Bird (the kind with the spiky crest punk hairstyle) is not native to Thailand

 

Its an introduced species and now some see it as an invasive species competing with the common myna.

 

I had to check on the net to confirm this info, and also found it is classified as VUNERABLE to EXTINCTION!

 

This is almost unbelievable to me as there are literally thousands of them where I live... massive noisy flocks roosting in the bamboo, and they are more common here than the common myna bird.  Out in the rice fields there are everywhere, even riding on the backs of the cows and buffalos. They are also lots jumping about on the roads all the time looking for squashed animals to eat.

 

Says on the net that they are introduced and breeding in South East Thailand.  They need change that info, because they are sure breeding up here in the North too and have been doing so for the 15 plus years I have been here.

 

I always thought that this bird was native to Thailand, and still can hardly imagine they are facing extinction.  Seems there came from Java and there they are in decline due to destruction of the forests (which I find strange as they are more liking farmland here).  

 

Was all this common knowledge to birders here?

White Vented Myna.PNG

Edited by jak2002003
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a few days up in Sai Yok and Sangkhlaburi. Stayed on a floating raft in Sai Yok and the highlight was having blue kingfishers on the opposite bank - must have been a hidden nest in the steep sandy bank as even with my binoculars i couldn't  spot where they disappeared to; they had a black head so i presume they were black-capped kingfishers.

 

There were also flocks of birds i didn't recognise all along the Kwae noi river bank I'll try to post a video later and I'm sure someone  will recognise their call. A common bird I'm just not knowledge of their name.

 

Edited by Bredbury Blue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...