BANGKOK

I have 2  common Mynas,that come every morning ,afternoon,

the kitchen window has an alarm on,open the window alarm

goes off,and within seconds they are there,call them Heckyll and

Jekyll, they have been coming for a few years,some times they

bring a fledgling along,but only ever one,i thought they would

have bigger clutches than that.I throw them bits bread,meat 

and leftover rice,several doves come too.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

And these plovers from this late afternoon/evening in Bangsaen, Chonburi - also from down the road, so not "yard birds." Maybe the best pics I have thus far illustrating Lesser Sand Plovers from Greater Sand Plovers. For diagnostic differences, consult your guide book/s. Unless they are standing next to each other, very difficult.

GSP_LSP 2_ 26 Sep 18.jpg

GSP_LSP1 26 Sep 18.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AjarnNorth said:

Bangsaen, Chonburi, from yard to shore, highlights of morning 28 September 2018. Highlight for me was the Red-necked Stint. Apparently common winter visitor to this area and I may have seen it many times before, but first definitive ID due to easy confusion among stints. 

BKa.jpg

BKJuv.jpg

CRS1.jpg

CRS2.jpg

GS.jpg

LEbp.jpg

LEbp1.jpg

OWE1.jpg

OWE2.jpg

PFT.jpg

RNS_LRP1.jpg

RNS_LRP2.jpg

RNS_LRP3.jpg

SBFP.jpg

TB.jpg

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

For people who hare not up to scratch with their bird ID, could you tell us which each species is please?

Great photos!!!

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

For people who hare not up to scratch with their bird ID, could you tell us which each species is please?

Great photos!!!

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Brahminy Kite (adult); Brahminy Kite (juvenile); Common Redshank (1); Common Redshank (2); Common Grenshank; Little Egret (breeding plumage) taking flight; Little Egret (breeding plumage) at rest; Oriental White-eye (1); Oriental White-eye (3); Pied Fantail; Red-necked Stint (1) with Little Ringed Plovers (2); Red-necked Stint (front) with Little Ringed Plover (back); as before; Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker; Common Tailorbird, Whimbrel; Whimbrel. 

All are resident and rather common here, except for the Redshank, the Greenshank, the plovers, and the Stint which are all winter visitors, but common winter visitors to this area. 

Thank you so much.

I love the Oriental White-Eye birds.  Never seen them here in Chiang Mai.  I think I saw them in Vietnam kept in bird cages for their song.  The Brahminy Kite is on my wish list.  Not seen them in CM either (told they used to be common here... same as vultures in the old days).  Seems a lot of the bird species are on the decline.  Even the blue magpies we used to see here have gone.  

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival. Seems a lot of the winter visitors are early this year. 

ID'd first by call around 5:00 PM, found and photographed just down the soi at 5:17 PM. Annual winter visitor on my soi, but usually doesn't arrive until first week of October according to my records (7 October last year). 18 photos, but none much better than this (cropped) one.

Ashy Drongo_28_9_18_Bangsaen Chonburi.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Early arrival Ashy Drongo (leucogenis) 28 September 2018, Bangsaen, Chonburi. Philip Round's "The Birds of the Bangkok Area" has 3 October for earliest definitive arrival.

NICE...new early date. Crushed the old one! We were always keen on getting new early/late dates of migrants in GA (SE USA) years ago! :thumbsup:

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

On a nightly basis I can also hear them flying around and screeching.

Just this morning a baby kingfisher got into the house.  

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I have a number of the blue and gray kingfishers that like to hang around my yard.  The other day there were three of them all sitting next to each other.  

On a nightly basis I can also hear them flying around and screeching.

Just this morning a baby kingfisher got into the house.  

Are these birds pretty common?  I don't really see them out and about, only around the house.

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

There are more than 2 dozen Kingfisher sp seen throughout Thailand. Would depend on your specific location and a better description of the bird to answer your query. 

The old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was especially meant for bird ID! :vampire:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I'm in Phuket and these birds have nice blue wings and a grayish body.  Unfortunately no photos have been taken.  Looking at google images it's probably the common kingfisher.  I just don't see them anywhere else on the island when traveling around.

So being in Phuket doesn't narrow the likely possibilities down much, like being in BKK or Issan would. Common is a likely possibility down there...as well as other small Kingfishers like Blue-eared and Blue-banded. Post a pic sometime, when/if possible. 

Today was the first annual eBird (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) October Global Big Day. Cornell has had a May Global Big Day for the past 4 years and only added Oct this year. 

First things first...added long anticipated Gray Heron (#68) to the BKK patch! A pair flying over around 4:30pm. 

My Big Day stats at the patch were 36 total species and highlights...

Gray Heron (2) new yard sp

first of season Ashy Drongo (1) and Brown Shrike (1)

1 Red Collared-dove (aka Red Turtle-Dove) is infrequent here, but seen a few times each year

11 Pink-necked Pigeon (all time high count)

20 Chinese Pond Heron (all time high count)

Unfortunately no Indian Roller today, but did have one the past 2 of 3 days. No Plain Prinia today and no Asian Openbill, which were hoped for and somewhat expected. 

Anyone else participate? 

As a really far and away aside...was in Michigan, USA for this past May eBird Big Day and was not intending on birding, but saw a Bald Eagle soaring over Willow Run Airport, which gave me the itch. Overall pretty mundane, but besides the eagle the other highlight was an Upland Sandpiper. Neither were lifers, but still always cool to see. The Upland even did his classic "wolf whistle" call. 

• Like 1