BANGKOK

Bangsaen yard-bird of the day. Green-billed Malkoha. Very common throughout Thailand but always a bird I like to see from home and not so easy to get decent photos of.

GBM1.jpg

GB2.jpg

Edited by AjarnNorth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 2:28 PM, jak2002003 said:

At the same place at night I saw some quails.  They were very small and I suspect they were king quail / Chinese Painted quails.  They flew up into the air with rapid wingbeats and vanished into the darkness as I walked past.. they waited till I was nearly stepping on them before taking off. 

Anyone else seen quails here? 

No, but that's not saying much since most my birding is done in my patch in BKK. 

Agree with AN that possibly Snipe, but there are some Quail and Buttonquail species that are smaller than Snipe. Your location would help. 

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

No, but that's not saying much since most my birding is done in my patch in BKK. 

Agree with AN that possibly Snipe, but there are some Quail and Buttonquail species that are smaller than Snipe. Your location would help. 

Yep. Quail and Buttonquail - in my experience - never let you get that close. Nightjars do, but wrong habitat. Snipe is my guess. 

And as Skeptic said, location is key.

Edited by AjarnNorth

19 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Also, consider snipe. Snipe tend to flush only when you get very close. 

I am in Chiang Mai.

Maybe not the snipe

as they were really tiny things, and their wing beats were really fast and sounded almost like a bumblebee.  I am sure they were quails.... but no idea what species.

What kind of quails do we get here in Thailand?  

Had a look on the net... hard to find info on Chinese Painted Quail distribution but found this from Thailand....

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=131&Bird_Image_ID=62381

Edited by jak2002003

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I am in Chiang Mai.

Maybe not the snipe

as they were really tiny things, and their wing beats were really fast and sounded almost like a bumblebee.  I am sure they were quails.... but no idea what species.

What kind of quails do we get here in Thailand?  

Had a look on the net... hard to find info on Chinese Painted Quail distribution but found this from Thailand....

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=131&Bird_Image_ID=62381

Smallest in your area (and some extremely localized) are Blue-breasted Quail, Japanese Quail and Rain Quail. Also...

Small...Barred...Yellow-legged Buttonquail. (3 sp) 

Other species of quail and partridge up there but considerably larger. 

It's possible that Chinese Painted Q (King Q) and Blue-breasted Q are the same species or subspecies. If so, then yes...possible. More looking into this ASAP. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

Skeptic, this may help (attached). It's the updated 2018 Thai checklist. 

Jak, it may be just a case of "common name" vs. Scientific name confusion. 

That photo from Oriental Bird List is from Bang Pra Non-hunting Area just down the road from me and I bird there from time to time and is the only place I have - I think - seen Blue-breasted Quail but have yet to get a good enough look or photo to put it down for sure. (It was a female so harder to tell)

All the books I use - Round and Robson - refer to it as Blue-breasted Quail (common) or Coturnix Chinensis (scientific) yet the updated checklist has the scientific name as Excalfactoria chinensis.

It is possible you may have this species occur up where you are, but kind of impossible to make a definitive call based on the description. One thing you could do is go back and try and listen for - or even better , record - calls and make comparisons there. Though a good photo would be best. 

Good luck. 

Checklist_ThaiBirds_2018_for_download.xlsx

• Thanks 1

Hoping this doesn't muddle it up further, but seems to be another extreme case of lumping and splitting over the years. Regardless...based on the info below, it can be reasonably deduced that a subspecies of this quail is found in northern Thailand...despite disagreements in Common, as well as, Scientific names. The 2018 version of "Clements/eBird Checklist of Birds of the World" (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) does not even include Excalfactoria at all, which is confusing to say the least. Perhaps Excalfactoria is an addition that will show on next year's list, as it is only updated once per year, due to it's being so extensive. 

This from Wikipedia...

The king quail (Excalfactoria chinensis), also known as the blue-breasted quail, Asian blue quail, Chinese painted quail, or Chung-Chi, is a species of Old World quail in the family Phasianidae. This species is the smallest "true quail", ranging in the wild from southeastern Asia to Oceania with 10 different subspecies.

...and from some more bird specific and reputable Ornithology sources in respective order...xeno-canto (range maps clearly showing CMai), HBW, Birdlife Int'l and the latest species/subspecies breakdown from Cornell:

PSX_20181202_181040.jpg.0d5167b66b150979fa0096c00d700b84.jpg

PSX_20181202_181322.jpg.c83ea4607b39ca2ebb60f480069cba93.jpg

PSX_20181202_184338.jpg.f17098d0d73859151325a6c4b07e6500.jpg

PSX_20181202_190730.jpg.88fa42a576848b614e35f0e67241a02c.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hoping this doesn't muddle it up further, but seems to be another extreme case of lumping and splitting over the years. Regardless...based on the info below, it can be reasonably deduced that a subspecies of this quail is found in northern Thailand...despite disagreements in Common, as well as, Scientific names. The 2018 version of "Clements/eBird Checklist of Birds of the World" (Cornell Lab of Ornithology) does not even include Excalfactoria at all, which is confusing to say the least. Perhaps Excalfactoria is an addition that will show on next year's list, as it is only updated once per year, due to it's being so extensive. 

This from Wikipedia...

The king quail (Excalfactoria chinensis), also known as the blue-breasted quail, Asian blue quail, Chinese painted quail, or Chung-Chi, is a species of Old World quail in the family Phasianidae. This species is the smallest "true quail", ranging in the wild from southeastern Asia to Oceania with 10 different subspecies.

...and from some more bird specific and reputable Ornithology sources in respective order...xeno-canto (range maps clearly showing CMai), HBW, Birdlife Int'l and the latest species/subspecies breakdown from Cornell:

PSX_20181202_181040.jpg.0d5167b66b150979fa0096c00d700b84.jpg

PSX_20181202_181322.jpg.c83ea4607b39ca2ebb60f480069cba93.jpg

PSX_20181202_184338.jpg.f17098d0d73859151325a6c4b07e6500.jpg

PSX_20181202_190730.jpg.88fa42a576848b614e35f0e67241a02c.jpg

Fantastic information you found!   I looked for ages, but the into was mostly very vague about their distribution... and also lots on into on the domesticated bird as a pet.

I have got a recording of the males call and am going to go there again in the evening (without the dogs this time) and play the recording and see any birds reply or show up.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

ah, such a relief that this topic has started again...people and their dogs make me wanna uurgh...

recently there have been lotsa little fellas around with cream colored feathers and a cri-cri-cricking call...I'm wondering if they are migratory as I don't see them often, sorta finch like...

is there a lot of migratory activity this time of year? seems quite late...

Yard bird of the day, yesterday, as I rarely leave the yard on NY's Eve. Black-winged Cuckooshrike. Resident in north Thailand but winter visitor to central. I get a few sightings a year, and nearly always from my yard.

Black-winged Cuckooshrike.jpg

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

ah, such a relief that this topic has started again...people and their dogs make me wanna uurgh...

recently there have been lotsa little fellas around with cream colored feathers and a cri-cri-cricking call...I'm wondering if they are migratory as I don't see them often, sorta finch like...

is there a lot of migratory activity this time of year? seems quite late...

There are a lot of winter visitors around between September and April, but that doesn't mean that what you are seeing are necessarily winter visitors. Can you get a photo? Even a phone photo can go a long way towards an ID. 

• Like 1

hard to get photos as most sightings are outside my kitchen window that overlooks undeveloped land (back end of a shop house) but I'll keep it in mind and see what I can do...

17 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

hard to get photos as most sightings are outside my kitchen window that overlooks undeveloped land (back end of a shop house) but I'll keep it in mind and see what I can do...

Plain Prinia?

They tend to like areas with long grass.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2042&Bird_Image_ID=37212&Bird_Family_ID=&p=48

Where are you in Thailand?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Plain Prinia?

They tend to like areas with long grass.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2042&Bird_Image_ID=37212&Bird_Family_ID=&p=48

Where are you in Thailand?

yeah, that sorta looks like them...would need to hear the bird call which is a cric. cric. cric...plenty of long grass behind the house, a canal/klong wall collapsed and the area is perpetually flooded...tons of birds around and plenty of well fed monitor lizards...

I'm in the Songphinong district in south Suphanburi...

Edited by tutsiwarrior