• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to get a BIF of a White-throated Kingfisher-hope you like it        

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

Obviously not in my garden, but in Kaeng Krachana NP last week. Also saw a lot of Grey Wagtails which are among the earliest of the winter visitors reminding me that it's time to keep my eyes open in

Posted Images

Those Shama are beautiful.. and you will have nice bird song in your garden. I have one as a pet.

At my place I was lucky to have a flock of lesser whistling ducks have a few days stop over on our lake. First time I have seen wild ducks here.

We also get 3 different kinds of kingfishers stealing my goldfish.. more now as the natural pools and ricefields have dried up.

Also have lots of white breasted water hens... and the small Asian barred owls. This year we have several nesting pairs of collared starlings and Koel

We tend to get the bigger birds here for some reason.. the smaller ones are missing. But it may be because there is some kind of black hawk here.. which I can not ID.. it is about the size of a female sparrow hawk... it has sadly killed a lot of my budgies through the aviary mesh.. and also taken some bantam chickens! The lady that cleans our house swears it a kind of vulture... but I thought they were extinct here. She told me it is migrating so hopefully it will be gone soon. I keep trying to photograph it.. but its so easily spooked. If I got a photo I will post it for your help ID it.

In earlier posts I mentioned the Rufous-winged Buzzards nesting near my house.

Last night we had a thunderstorm. It didn't come right over us, but the wind was quite strong at times.

This morning I went to see how the buzzard chicks were doing. The nest had been destroyed completely by the wind, and nothing was left but a straggle of twigs hanging down. Standing on the branches where the nest had been were the two chicks, now three-quarters grown. They weren't looking too happy about it, but then raptor chicks at that age never do.

• Like 1

^" I found an old shoe box, carved out a door, and tied the box to a pillar...".

Any chance you could post a picture of the box and it's surroundings. I'd like to see how you've done it to see if I could replicate it in my garden (my concern is how to offer the birds/chicks security as we get snakes, monitor lizards, etc, in our garden).

There's an Oishi tea box with the flap cut on the side panel. Then another similar size box with the flap cut on the front panel. Then in the palms, we have a box we bought at one of the pet stores (about 100 baht), with a hatch on the bottom when the hatchlings leave the nest.....you can clean things out.

We usually set the box on one of our house columns......in the carport or on our extended porch. The box in the palms is set on two wires that I rigged between palms. Right now, we've got two nests a churnin'. I suspect one is the offspring of the original mother.

post-10743-0-19233900-1461239970_thumb.j

post-10743-0-56878200-1461240021_thumb.j

post-10743-0-06340300-1461240239_thumb.j

• Like 1

New bird on the patch this morning(45), in fact a pair of them after a very quiet couple of weeks. About the size of a Tailor-bird but no cocked tail and not noisy. Foraging in low level growth in garden, very quick movements.

Photos are not brilliant, taken from above the bird, but can anyone ID please, all shots of same bird, the other bird seemed exactly same markings.

In the first photo looks like there might be some barring on tail feathers.

post-59731-0-03625200-1461384748_thumb.j

post-59731-0-11260500-1461384762_thumb.j

post-59731-0-99236700-1461384776_thumb.j

• Like 2

Carrying on the theme of migratory birds in Thailand and whether they return to a patch. I have some evidence that this is the case.

At my old house(garden as patch) I had a Eurasian Kestrel roost on the security grill outside my bedroom window for 3 consecutive seasons(Mid September to late March) 2012-2015. I'm sure this was the same bird, given the location of the roost and his growing tolerance to me.

Likewise, although no real proof they were the same birds, over the same time frame I had a Taiga Flycatcher, Asian Brown Flycatcher and Siberian Stonechat as consecutive winter season visitors to the garden.

I know in the UK there is a lot of research on birds like Cuckoos and Ospreys, tracking them in migration and watching them return to the same patch the next year.

We had the same pied wagtail come back to our garden every year for 5 years. We knew he was the same one as he had a broken leg that stuck out at a right angle to his body.

The first time we saw him I felt sad because I thought he would die.. as they are ground birds and need to be able to run to catch insects.

At my house he used to eat the mynah bird pellets that my pet mynah threw out of his cage.

However, he was able to cope with his bad leg.. he even had a mate with him each time he came here (but no idea if that was the same mate each time). His mate used to run about catching insects.. and he used to slowly hop about.. no idea how he ever caught anything.

I was very impressed by him.. and how he even managed to migrate each year too. Just shows how tough birds are.

• Like 1

Grey-breasted Prinia. (some of the pictures in google seem to show yellow eyes)

I was struggling with this one(yellow eyering). Robsons pics are not a great help but the Google images do indeed show similar examples to my birds and on orient bird club site too. So thats no 45 ticked off.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Grey-breasted Prinia. (some of the pictures in google seem to show yellow eyes)

What about it being a Rufescent Prinia?

While they are quite similar and even more so in certain plumages, Rufescent almost always shows a white supercilium (eyebrow). Thus, another name for Rufescent is White-browed Prinia. The photographed bird also shows a grey breast band and a white outer tail feather spot in the first pic, whereas Rufescent has grey or buff outer tail tip spots. IMHO Isanbirder is correct in his ID.

• Like 1