Pigeon Clean Sweep today! Not all that exciting really, but still kinda cool. While the "Pigeon Slam" (4 species) is common most days here in the patch in BKK...the "Clean Sweep" only happens a few times a year. The Slam includes Rock Pigeon, Spotted Dove, Zebra Dove and Pink-necked Pigeon which is present at least 80% of the time. This morning also Red Collared (or Red Turtle) Dove, which is only seen here a few times each year (tho saw a pair carrying nesting material 2 years ago).

Other highlights of the morning...a pair of Asian Openbills and possible lone Green Bee-Eater, though not counting it. Blue-tailed are common here in the winter, but yet to spot a Green. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to get a BIF of a White-throated Kingfisher-hope you like it        

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

Obviously not in my garden, but in Kaeng Krachana NP last week. Also saw a lot of Grey Wagtails which are among the earliest of the winter visitors reminding me that it's time to keep my eyes open in

Posted Images

The Great Backyard Bird Count is on. Worldwide. It's easy. Read the attached. Sign up. ID the birds in your yard (or any other location - a park, from your apartment, anywhere) for any length of time between 15 and 18 February, then report what you saw.

https://earthsky.org/earth/register-participate-great-backyard-bird-count?fbclid=IwAR3eBGqZ2rNMqwlmdZMpL7KO8LRx1hfYBsB2d8BNsAmj1mqMj7fjRLsVcMc

• Like 1

First day of the Great Backyard Bird Count (see above). 23 species from the yard today. One morning session and one late afternoon/evening session. Nothing unexpected and a few of the expected and probables didn't show, but then I got off to a bit of a late start. See what tomorrow brings.

• Like 2

Tonight ends the Great Backyard Bird Count. Total count for my yard from Friday to today was 29 species. Fewer than I was expecting as my full yard count is close to 90 (have to update that list). Nothing unexpected and a lot of the regulars just did not present. Birds I would have expected that did not present include Green Bee-eater, Blue-tailed Bee-eater, Coucals, Black-naped Monarch, Black-winged Cuckooshrike, Hoopoes, as well as a few others, but they just did not show. But then I was working so was limited to morning and late afternoon observations. Fun anyway. And all were submitted via e-bird which I have just joined and now need to go back for my patches in Surin and my yard here as well as my patches here to log that info. That will all take some time. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to participate in the Global Big Day on 4 May.

Any birds seen or heard...anywhere in the world...during the 24 hours of 4 May can be reported. Here's all the info needed... 

https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-4-may-2019?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=9f22fd4e2c-ebird+enews+mar+2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-9f22fd4e2c-316371165

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Was recently in Koh Chang and around the islands of Mu Ko Chang National Park, and the bird I saw the most was the large-billed crow, especially on an island like Ko Rang where there must have been about 15 of them swooping around and fighting for tourist snacks - saw one steal a bag of crisps of a Thai lady when she moved away and it had them open for a feast in an instance with that beak. Impressive size bird; made the mynah birds look tiny.

• Like 1

useta have a family of sparrows under the eaves of our shop house forecourt but in our darwinian times some doves kicked them out and started roosting...

and I give you a dove roosting in triumph...and you thought that doves were all gentle cooing and intricately colored plumage...well, mother nature's savagery knows no limits, the displaced sparrows probably got eaten by the large feral cat population...

IMG_20190403_180253.jpg

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

useta have a family of sparrows under the eaves of our shop house forecourt but in our darwinian times some doves kicked them out and started roosting...

and I give you a dove roosting in triumph...

IMG_20190403_180253.jpg

Kinda hard to tell, but maybe a bit of black collar showing...indicative of Red Collared (aka Red Turtle) Dove. Does the bird(s) have red (rusty) collered wings? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Kinda hard to tell, but maybe a bit of black collar showing...indicative of Red Collared (aka Red Turtle) Dove. Does the bird(s) have red (rusty) collered wings? 

I'll havta check it out...there are a number of pairs in our neighborhood...no collar to the front that I can see...

the doves moved in as then they could avail themselves of the dogfood for the pup that the sister in law and her husband brought with them when they moved in last month...cute little short haired fella with floppy ears, the first friendly dog that I've seen in Thailand, about 8 mos old...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I'll havta check it out...there are a number of pairs in our neighborhood...no collar to the front that I can see...

the doves moved in as then they could avail themselves of the dogfood for the pup that the sister in law and her husband brought with them when they moved in last month...cute little short haired fella with floppy ears, the first friendly dog that I've seen in Thailand, about 8 mos old...

Most likely isn't, but the collar would only be on the back of the neck...half collared would be more accurate. Here's a pic from Google Images. Quite lovely. 

Screenshot_20190403-195539_crop_720x691.jpg.d163aa2d8ae148f94640825002f24c89.jpg