BANGKOK

Posted (edited)

useta have a family of sparrows under the eaves of our shop house forecourt but in our darwinian times some doves kicked them out and started roosting...

and I give you a dove roosting in triumph...and you thought that doves were all gentle cooing and intricately colored plumage...well, mother nature's savagery knows no limits, the displaced sparrows probably got eaten by the large feral cat population...

IMG_20190403_180253.jpg

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

useta have a family of sparrows under the eaves of our shop house forecourt but in our darwinian times some doves kicked them out and started roosting...

and I give you a dove roosting in triumph...

IMG_20190403_180253.jpg

Kinda hard to tell, but maybe a bit of black collar showing...indicative of Red Collared (aka Red Turtle) Dove. Does the bird(s) have red (rusty) collered wings? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Kinda hard to tell, but maybe a bit of black collar showing...indicative of Red Collared (aka Red Turtle) Dove. Does the bird(s) have red (rusty) collered wings? 

I'll havta check it out...there are a number of pairs in our neighborhood...no collar to the front that I can see...

the doves moved in as then they could avail themselves of the dogfood for the pup that the sister in law and her husband brought with them when they moved in last month...cute little short haired fella with floppy ears, the first friendly dog that I've seen in Thailand, about 8 mos old...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I'll havta check it out...there are a number of pairs in our neighborhood...no collar to the front that I can see...

the doves moved in as then they could avail themselves of the dogfood for the pup that the sister in law and her husband brought with them when they moved in last month...cute little short haired fella with floppy ears, the first friendly dog that I've seen in Thailand, about 8 mos old...

Most likely isn't, but the collar would only be on the back of the neck...half collared would be more accurate. Here's a pic from Google Images. Quite lovely. 

Screenshot_20190403-195539_crop_720x691.jpg.d163aa2d8ae148f94640825002f24c89.jpg

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Most likely isn't, but the collar would only be on the back of the neck...half collared would be more accurate. Here's a pic from Google Images. Quite lovely. 

Screenshot_20190403-195539_crop_720x691.jpg.d163aa2d8ae148f94640825002f24c89.jpg

yeah...the plumage color is quite indefinable, light ocher maybe?...I knew an artist once in Venice CA and on an easel she had a panel of color, very intricate and she explained that she wanted to capture the color of a mourning dove's wing...she was talented and moved to NYC where she had some successful shows...she had a good conceptual approach, like who wansta look at a panel of color? but if you looked for more than a few seconds it put the hook in you...

• Like 1

re the dove family, the chicks hatched today and the bird I was watching backed outta the nest and the plumage is the same as skeptic's photo...haven't been able to see the collar yet from below...been trying to get the kids 6 and 8 y.o. interested but it was ho hum, just a buncha birds...their mum the step daughter took an interest however...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

re the dove family, the chicks hatched today and the bird I was watching backed outta the nest and the plumage is the same as skeptic's photo...haven't been able to see the collar yet from below...been trying to get the kids 6 and 8 y.o. interested but it was ho hum, just a buncha birds...their mum the step daughter took an interest however...

FYI...could be Spotted Dove, but they are large. Almost same as Rock Pigeon. They also have a spotted collar on the nape, but is distinctly different than the thin, solid black collar of the Red Collared. The collar is the key, especially if presumably seeing the female...which is browner than the male. Spotted Doves look the same...monomorphic. Here's a look at Spotted on the left and Red Collared m & f on the right. 

PSX_20190404_130655-1596x552.jpg.ec785bbb9b71e1c00359843db258f37c.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that it was #8 that I saw...looked like the adults had cleared off from the nest late this mornin' but the step daughter said that they'll be back after dark and sho' nuff  they were there...that girl is revealing stuff about herself that I never knew when she was growing up...I'll find out next that she can speak perfect english but never let on...

'keep yer friends close and the falangs closest but never let on...'

• Haha 1

Verified Blue-tailed Bee Eater yesterday evening and added Fork-tailed Swift. Kept occasionally seeing what appeared to be monster sized Asian Palm Swifts! Same shape, but huge.

Also Paddyfield Pipit for #56. Back to BKK soon and the good ol' USA for a month, so the new patch will be unattended for a while. 

Been getting a few Lifers here and looking at my World List...only need 11 more to hit 700 species worldwide! That should happen later this year. :thumbsup: (most of those are in the 50 USA...537 to be exact)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Verified Blue-tailed Bee Eater yesterday evening and added Fork-tailed Swift. Kept occasionally seeing what appeared to be monster sized Asian Palm Swifts! Same shape, but huge.

Also Paddyfield Pipit for #56. Back to BKK soon and the good ol' USA for a month, so the new patch will be unattended for a while. 

Been getting a few Lifers here and looking at my World List...only need 11 more to hit 700 species worldwide! That should happen later this year. :thumbsup: (most of those are in the 50 USA...537 to be exact)

"monster Asian palm Swift" Could be a Brown or Silver Backed Needletail.

This is a Brown-backed Needletail.

brown-backed Needletail-1 (2).jpg

needletail-1 (2).jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, thetefldon said:

Could be a Brown or Silver Backed Needletail

Thx...great snaps, as always. No, not Needletail...tho that would have been nice! Slimmer shape and tail to Palm Swift, only larger w/longer wings...AND obvious split tail. Also no obvious white on underside like Needletails. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thx...great snaps, as always. No, not Needletail...tho that would have been nice! Slimmer shape and tail to Palm Swift, only larger w/longer wings...AND obvious split tail. Also no obvious white on underside like Needletails. 

Look to possible Crested Treeswift. Used to get hem in Surin. 

Edited by AjarnNorth
  • Like 1

#57 Golden-headed Cisticola. Prob my last addition for a while. Back to the BKK patch tomorrow. :thumbsup:

On 2/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, AjarnNorth said:

You won't often see Paddyfield or Richard's on wires, though, or really anywhere but on the ground. 

This is PURELY for fun. 😀

Just when we think we've got these little buggers figured out...

...Pipit on a wire! 

Pretty much a daily occurrence here. They come in and land on the ground and when they depart...up to the wire for a look-see, or visa versa. 

DSC05918_edited.jpg.d864968542213ada8a0e6d8659305867.jpg

DSC05919_edited.jpg.aa41cd532f080e8af029912abc3ccc13.jpg

• Haha 1