BANGKOK

Pair of Barred Buttonquail today at the new patch in Nong Prue, Kanchanaburi. #59. Got identifiable fuzzy pix, but will spare your eyes! 

Yellow-bellied Prinia. Good vid for the back of the bird AND if you want to hear/learn it's repetitive song. More melodious than Plain Prinia, but still gets monotonous after a while.

DSC06499_edited.thumb.jpg.d6e7491762b769dbff293f1428cf01e6.jpg

Found by a friend of a friend in some reeds near a pool in Bangkok. ID anyone? Fledglings are never easy to ID. Odd bill. 

Unknown Fledgling.jpg

7 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Found by a friend of a friend in some reeds near a pool in Bangkok. ID anyone?

Moses

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Moses

yeah, some of them commandments are a bit 'flighty'...

Was at the gym earlier, which is on the 3rd floor at tree top level so good view of the birdlife, next to a khlong with a large banana plantation opposite, in a bangkok residential suburb. Busy 6 lane road about 70 metres away. So quite a busy area.

Saw a bird I've never seen before. It made an aggressive appearance flying at and scareing off all the other birds in the tree tops. It was a big bird, crow-like, big beak, black markings around the eye, its body was in two colours, from front of the wings to head it was a lighter colour (grey-brown?) and from wings back and under body a dark colour, a very long thin tail, tail ended with a white tip, and underbody at the start of the tail had a light patch. Had a look online and it could be a Treepie? Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Was at the gym earlier, which is on the 3rd floor at tree top level so good view of the birdlife, next to a khlong with a large banana plantation opposite, in a bangkok residential suburb. Busy 6 lane road about 70 metres away. So quite a busy area.

Saw a bird I've never seen before. It made an aggressive appearance flying at and scareing off all the other birds in the tree tops. It was a big bird, crow-like, big beak, black markings around the eye, its body was in two colours, from front of the wings to head it was a lighter colour (grey-brown?) and from wings back and under body a dark colour, a very long thin tail, tail ended with a white tip, and underbody at the start of the tail had a light patch. Had a look online and it could be a Treepie? Thoughts?

Green-billed Malkoha or Rufous-winged treepie. Color of bill? Malkoha has a red spot around the eye but looks black in poor lighting. Neither species is particularly aggressive though.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Found by a friend of a friend in some reeds near a pool in Bangkok. ID anyone? Fledglings are never easy to ID. Odd bill. 

Unknown Fledgling.jpg

This bird appears still a full nestling and not nearly ready to fledge. That bill is funky, but this bird is quite young, with alot of down and pin feathers...so still developing. My gut on this is Black-collared Starling. They are common in BKK and prone to nest predation by Asian Koel. Perhaps it was ejected by it's larger brood parasitic step-sibling?

No yellow around the eye is a bit troubling, but again this bird had some growing up to do before fledging. The cream and black coloring and long bill seem about right and the black collar comes later. Some pix of much older juveniles of Black-collared Starling found online. 

PSX_20190608_164924.jpg.9e7fb7d3e5b576a197f16e364cfbc7b8.jpg

PSX_20190608_165054.jpg.64030c49dfb0f8881ee0fb97049b8283.jpg

PSX_20190608_164723.jpg.381c587598c16581ef4d1752c61fbf00.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7

On 6/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, AjarnNorth said:

Green-billed Malkoha or Rufous-winged treepie. Color of bill? Malkoha has a red spot around the eye but looks black in poor lighting. Neither species is particularly aggressive though.  

Thanks.

After viewing photos and videos i reckon it was a 

Green-billed Malkoha with one reservation: Some photos show multiple white areas on the tail but the one i saw only had on the tail tip and at start of the tail. 

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Thanks.

After viewing photos and videos i reckon it was a 

Green-billed Malkoha with one reservation: Some photos show multiple white areas on the tail but the one i saw only had on the tail tip and at start of the tail. 

Multiple white areas on underside but only tail tip when seen from above or upper side. 

On 6/8/2019 at 5:19 PM, Skeptic7 said:

This bird appears still a full nestling and not nearly ready to fledge. That bill is funky, but this bird is quite young, with alot of down and pin feathers...so still developing. My gut on this is Black-collared Starling. They are common in BKK and prone to nest predation by Asian Koel. Perhaps it was ejected by it's larger brood parasitic step-sibling?

No yellow around the eye is a bit troubling, but again this bird had some growing up to do before fledging. The cream and black coloring and long bill seem about right and the black collar comes later. Some pix of much older juveniles of Black-collared Starling found online. 

PSX_20190608_164924.jpg.9e7fb7d3e5b576a197f16e364cfbc7b8.jpg

PSX_20190608_165054.jpg.64030c49dfb0f8881ee0fb97049b8283.jpg

PSX_20190608_164723.jpg.381c587598c16581ef4d1752c61fbf00.jpg

I considered it being ousted from a nest by a Koel. I posted the photo on BCST facebook site and ID was - wait for it - Rock Pigeon. Which actually makes sense when you look at the odd bulbous bill. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AjarnNorth said:

I considered it being ousted from a nest by a Koel. I posted the photo on BCST facebook site and ID was - wait for it - Rock Pigeon. Which actually makes sense when you look at the odd bulbous bill. 

Well that's disappointing! Oh well, it was a good test. Won't miss that bill again! Funny we probably see more ROPIs than any other species, yet never really see them. 

Edited by Skeptic7

We get a lot of the Asian Pied Starlings and also those Black Collard Starlings.  Always mix them up unless see both together.  Try to remember the Asian Pied Starlings have red on their beaks and not really any yellow on their faces.  

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, AjarnNorth said:

Unknown Fledgling.jpg

Think that is a dove, by the shape of it's beak. Has the typical pigeon / dove beak.

Probably a spotted dove squab.