BANGKOK

Posted (edited)

A pair of Blue-bearded Bee Eaters today. #61 for the yard in Kanchanaburi. 

PSX_20190805_141342.jpg.c6679f346a84f1a380ce1663aac55f77.jpg

PSX_20190805_142604.jpg.770be69d4877e2e91aa189ca9009f8dd.jpg

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

A pair of Blue-bearded Bee Eaters today. #61 for the yard in Kanchanaburi. 

PSX_20190805_141342.jpg.c6679f346a84f1a380ce1663aac55f77.jpg

PSX_20190805_142604.jpg.770be69d4877e2e91aa189ca9009f8dd.jpg

very pretty birds.  

• Like 1

Been great here in Kanchanaburi these past week or so! Added White-rumped Munia today for #63 for the patch and closing in on #700 species worldwide.

Also Butterfly and Moth lists are growing every day with some beautiful species and pix. I posted some pretty awesome Hawk Moth pix here awhile back, but they were promptly removed. 

Appeared in the garden as the sun was going down.

Photo not perfect as I had to crop from a screen shot

Ptobably seen 5 or 6 times in 2 or 3 years but this time caught a reasonable photo

Hoopoo.

2019-08-25 00.25.55.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to have koel birds in my garden. Then they might be close enough to kill.  BWaa ha ha. They make me think evil thoughts. 

I love most birds, but the koels living close to my condo was one of the worst things about Thailand I can remember. Their red eyes are proof that they come from hell to make our lives miserable sometimes. There's nothing like a koel whistling at 150 decibels close to one's bedroom window at 4 in the morning.  

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:42 AM, vinniekintana said:

Sorry  ...didn't read the whole thread..

Any sightings of Alexandrine parakeets in your part of Thailand?

Spotted a pair recently in Songkhla 

Never seen any parrots in this part of Thailand before.

I used to see them pretty regularly here in Bangsaen, Chonburi, right from my yard, up until a few years ago. They liked to eat the star-fruit off of my neighbors' tree. Could be a feral colony. I don't see them regularly anymore - caught? poisoned? - though have had sporadic sightings of them in flight. Red-breasted Parakeet are very common here, but the Alexadrine stand out even in flight by length and call. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:35 AM, overherebc said:

Appeared in the garden as the sun was going down.

Photo not perfect as I had to crop from a screen shot

Ptobably seen 5 or 6 times in 2 or 3 years but this time caught a reasonable photo

Hoopoo.

2019-08-25 00.25.55.jpg

One of my favourite birds.  Sadly none in my area now.  At my old house we used to see a few of them regularly in the dry rice fields which bordered out garden.  

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

One of my favourite birds.  Sadly none in my area now.  At my old house we used to see a few of them regularly in the dry rice fields which bordered out garden.  

It didn't seem to worry about landing 6 feet from us and then walked around on the grass picking at whatever. Didn't have a camera so had to use my wife's phone which isn't brilliant.

• Like 1

I've never tried to attach video before so here's hoping. 

A few months ago, our annual Peregrine falcon visitor was accompanied by a mate. This is what we heard one Saturday morning (first video) and the zoom lens on a fairly small camera is the second video...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rufous Treepie in the yard today. Sadly I was not home! 😭 GF took the pix with her phone. #62 for the total current Kanchanaburi yard list...while I'm still stuck on 61. ☹️

RTTP1.jpg.be84d9777c98603dfa3f3ed14915a3c5.jpg

RTTP2.jpg.e1903793c5052fa17b550820e4f68074.jpg

• Like 1

Went out to my garden and saw an oriental magpie-robin swooping down and attacking a young 1 foot-long monitor lizard. Had the required effect of making the lizard scarper.

Migration season well underway. Many winter visitors already here and more on the way. Good time to be looking around your yard or area. This Asian Brown Shrike from my yard. Common winter visitor. 

ABS 19Sep19.jpg

• Like 2