Food ideas for dog

Have a little French Bulldog. She's not keen on dry food. Normally morning feed i make her a soup of chicken breast, pumpkin, garlic, veges, rice etc.afternoon she has raw chicken carcass or necks. Sometimes mornings I alternate soup with scrambled eggs. Anyone have any other ideas. Want to change her diet sometimes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't give her garlic. Garlic & onions are poisonous for dogs. You can try giving her cottage cheese, my dog love it. Dry dog food isn't good for dogs - too highly processed unless you buy the really expensive brands. Tuna & brown rice are also good. My dog loves fish

Dogs don't eat vegetables or other carbs in nature. They are carnivores. They process meat, milk and fat very well. Do you have a crock pot you can fill with cheap cuts of meat and cook until it's falling apart? Some of that and some of the broth will work. The dog doesn't need any spices and especially not onion or garlic which it can't process. You can freeze it in portions and keep some out ahead of time as needed.

There are some canned dog foods that are almost all animal protein but I don't know if you can buy it in LOS.

Dogs don't eat vegetables or other carbs in nature. They are carnivores. They process meat, milk and fat very well. Do you have a crock pot you can fill with cheap cuts of meat and cook until it's falling apart? Some of that and some of the broth will work. The dog doesn't need any spices and especially not onion or garlic which it can't process. You can freeze it in portions and keep some out ahead of time as needed.

There are some canned dog foods that are almost all animal protein but I don't know if you can buy it in LOS.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't know if there are "cheaper" cuts of meat here are there? I mean it's all pretty cheap anyway but what we'd call cheap cuts back home seem to be actually more expensive here.

garlic and onions NEVER. morning our loves asia sea bass,steamed for 1hr.all the neat taken off the bone,i fish does for 6days with some biscuit and irosine dog.

evening 4veg,carrot,cauli,broc and pumpkin,slow cooked beef and breast of chicken meat.hills diet biscuit,and some gravy from the beef.

Buy a good quality dry dog food and add hot water, wait until cold and give to the dog (this will make the food soft and easier to eat). If he/she doesn't eat it at first don't stress out, when hunger the dog will eat. Then once every week or two give the dog a proper hard bone to chew, this will strengthen his/her jaws and provide calcium and keep him/her busy. Anything else is over the top and will make your dog fat and lazy. Remember your dog is not human (although we sometimes think the opposite).

Sorry dogs can eat a vegetarian diet and thrive.

It is true that dogs belong to the order Carnivora, but they are actually omnivores. The canine body has the ability to transform certain amino acids, the building blocks or protein, into others, meaning that dogs can get all the amino acids they need while avoiding meat. Being a lacto-ovo vegetarian does not present many nutritional challenges for people or for dogs. In fact, eggs have the highest biological value of all the protein sources commonly used in pet foods. The biological value of a protein measures its ability to supply the individual amino acids that an animal needs. Eggs are an excellent source of protein for dogs. Even veganism — consuming a diet that does not include any animal products — though a little trickier, is possible for dogs. The right balance of different plant-based sources of protein (e.g., beans, corn, soy and whole grains) can still provide the needed amino acids. So why should non-vegetarians care about this? Because it helps make sense of the confusing information about canine nutrition that exists. Think of it this way, if dogs can live long and healthy lives eating a diet that is made from only plant-based sources of protein, why wouldn’t these ingredients also be appropriate for use in foods that contain meat? Using both animal and plant-based sources of protein in a non-vegetarian dog food makes perfect sense. The only issue I’ve seen with dogs being switched to a vegetarian food is one of acceptance. It seems to me that dogs who are used to eating diets that contain meat go through a "where’s the beef, chicken … etc.?" stage. Overcoming this is easy if you simply mix increasing amounts of the new food in with decreasing amounts of the old and make the change slowly.

courtesy of petmd.com

If you see film of wild dogs hunting, very often the 1st thing they will eat is the stomach sac of their prey which will be full of plant matter. I'm not a veggie before you spam me. Anyway, if you have a Makro near to you they sell 1kg bags of frozen dogfood in varieties of beef, chicken & liver, pork etc although with a dog as small as a French Bulldog you would probably have to break it up and freeze it in separate portions. We have 2 golden retrievers so 1 bag lasts 2 days mixed with dried dog food. Also we have a Tesco Lotus express nearby and quite often you will find fresh meat being sold off cheap on the last day of the expiry date, 200g of pork mince or chicken breasts for 15 baht so we then buy the lot and freeze it for ourselves and the dogs. As a treat my wife will buy from the weekly markets cooked blood and various other soups and as these tend to be cooked with the bones the dogs find them very tasty and the dried food absorbs it so they eat more of the dried food. Don't give your dogs cooked bones as these can break and cause internal damage. The dogs also love the cheap tins of mackerel in tomato sauce from Big C, nice to give them oily fish as I can't seem to find plain cod liver oil here only orange or some other flavour.

Sounds like you are asking advice for feeding a child... It's a dog! No need variety and change of taste every day.

Preparing a good nutritious fresh meal for a dog is not easy. You should google for the proper way to do it. In any case no spices whatsoever, no onions, garlic. As some have already mentioned, dogs are carnivores, so it should be mostly meat. Dairy products are not health for any adults at all, not even for humans.

I feed my dogs only dry food of good quality (Royal Canine). I spoke with a Vet in Europe who told me that preparing a fresh meal is too much of a hassle, and he also feeds his dogs good quality dry food. According to him there is no much difference between the good brands, so pick 1 that is convenient for you to get.

As mentioned already, I use Royal Canine - this is what the breeder I bought my dog from feeds his dogs, so I just continued with this brand. Now I have some puppies and I have to order food for them in advance as no shop keeps the junior version of this food. Still easy enough.

I give my dog fresh chicken or pork bones everyday in the afternoon. They sell some really soft marrow pork bones cheap.at the markets, might be spine bones? I wonder if cooked long enough these would rend down and soften?

I believe that dry good quality dog food is the best for many reasons.

1) It is not tasty enough for dogs to overeat.

2) Maintains digestion regulated, specially is given one time a day, at the same time.

3) Avoid allergic reactions to some of house foods that are not suitable for animals.

4) Because dogs will eat in less quantities than tasty foods, becomes less expensive in long term.

5) Less vets expenses, maintaining the dog in good shape and health all its life.

6) In some cases, can leave the dog alone for long time, with enough dry food and water, without worries about looking for dog care.

I owned dogs all my life, and just now I got the probe of my opinion. When I was single here I adopted a mid size soi dog, that I kept in dry food because was very convenient for me in many ways. For years he was very healthy and active. Just giving some "snacks" sometimes, like big bones.

When I got married, my wife started giving him house food. Most fish and chicken meat and bones. He got overweight, and with some health troubles. Skin allergies, and muscular pains....until I decided to stop that, and come back to the dry food. Pedigree, beef taste.

In just 2 weeks, every problem was history.

A healthy and happy dog again.

2) Maintains digestion regulated, specially is given one time a day, at the same time.

3) Avoid allergic reactions to some of house foods that are not suitable for animals.

4) Because dogs will eat in less quantities than tasty foods, becomes less expensive in long term.

5) Less vets expenses, maintaining the dog in good shape and health all its life.

6) In some cases, can leave the dog alone for long time, with enough dry food and water, without worries about looking for dog care.

I owned dogs all my life, and just now I got the probe of my opinion. When I was single here I adopted a mid size soi dog, that I kept in dry food because was very convenient for me in many ways. For years he was very healthy and active. Just giving some "snacks" sometimes, like big bones.

When I got married, my wife started giving him house food. Most fish and chicken meat and bones. He got overweight, and with some health troubles. Skin allergies, and muscular pains....until I decided to stop that, and come back to the dry food. Pedigree, beef taste.

I thought dry food was prone to give dog allergies and while pedigree has a good name it's not really too good. Only what I've read.

Besides, dry dog food here is bloody expensive and by all accounts mostly rice and filler isn't it?

Pedigree chum beef biscuits & small packets of beef gravy( inexpensive )

Fish obviously & chicken

One of the oldest living dogs in the world was a sheepdog in Scotland

All the old lady fed him was rice !

s

A small correction here as dogs are not carnivores, they are omnivores. Wild dogs and the wolves they originated from would eat ALL of their prey including the stomach contents of herbivores. Domestic dogs are no different in that respect but they do seem to prefer meat. My dogs love the expensive dry food but I limit them as it seems to be very fattening, I suspect due to cooking oils as they do feel greasy.

I steam chicken breast and a little carrot and brocoli and mash it up. then mix a tablespoon of it with a handful of hepatic Royal Canine dry food. add water and it blends and she goes crazy for it. Sometimes I boil River fish filets instead as sea fish is to salty.........Also have a food dehydrator so when I make my jerky I makesome plain jerky for her.......

I have had guests in my house find her dog food chicken mix in the fridge and spoon it over toast thinking its a sandwich spread. no foul, the girl gets happy thinking its meal time....

Sorry dogs can eat a vegetarian diet and thrive.

It is true that dogs belong to the order Carnivora, but they are actually omnivores. The canine body has the ability to transform certain amino acids, the building blocks or protein, into others, meaning that dogs can get all the amino acids they need while avoiding meat. Being a lacto-ovo vegetarian does not present many nutritional challenges for people or for dogs. In fact, eggs have the highest biological value of all the protein sources commonly used in pet foods. The biological value of a protein measures its ability to supply the individual amino acids that an animal needs. Eggs are an excellent source of protein for dogs. Even veganism — consuming a diet that does not include any animal products — though a little trickier, is possible for dogs. The right balance of different plant-based sources of protein (e.g., beans, corn, soy and whole grains) can still provide the needed amino acids. So why should non-vegetarians care about this? Because it helps make sense of the confusing information about canine nutrition that exists. Think of it this way, if dogs can live long and healthy lives eating a diet that is made from only plant-based sources of protein, why wouldn’t these ingredients also be appropriate for use in foods that contain meat? Using both animal and plant-based sources of protein in a non-vegetarian dog food makes perfect sense. The only issue I’ve seen with dogs being switched to a vegetarian food is one of acceptance. It seems to me that dogs who are used to eating diets that contain meat go through a "where’s the beef, chicken … etc.?" stage. Overcoming this is easy if you simply mix increasing amounts of the new food in with decreasing amounts of the old and make the change slowly.

courtesy of petmd.com

If you see film of wild dogs hunting, very often the 1st thing they will eat is the stomach sac of their prey which will be full of plant matter. I'm not a veggie before you spam me. Anyway, if you have a Makro near to you they sell 1kg bags of frozen dogfood in varieties of beef, chicken & liver, pork etc although with a dog as small as a French Bulldog you would probably have to break it up and freeze it in separate portions. We have 2 golden retrievers so 1 bag lasts 2 days mixed with dried dog food. Also we have a Tesco Lotus express nearby and quite often you will find fresh meat being sold off cheap on the last day of the expiry date, 200g of pork mince or chicken breasts for 15 baht so we then buy the lot and freeze it for ourselves and the dogs. As a treat my wife will buy from the weekly markets cooked blood and various other soups and as these tend to be cooked with the bones the dogs find them very tasty and the dried food absorbs it so they eat more of the dried food. Don't give your dogs cooked bones as these can break and cause internal damage. The dogs also love the cheap tins of mackerel in tomato sauce from Big C, nice to give them oily fish as I can't seem to find plain cod liver oil here only orange or some other flavour.

My ex-girlfriend's dog is 100% vegetarian hahahaha. It's just incredible to look at the little fellow consuming the veges as if it was such a delicious meal. The meals are usually just steamed cabbage, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots, and fruits. Nothing else. Clean, healthy, no bad breath.

I respected this dog so much, if a meat craving animal could do this, we have so much to learn and change as human beings.

The veggies have a high sugar content. Not such a good thing in large amounts. Dogs need protein. If you feed them a lot of carrot or pumkin you need to take care of there teeth esp as they age.......My girl is over 13 and is pretty darn healthy. I can afford having her blood tested monthly and compare trends in kidney liver and blood.

Sounds like you are asking advice for feeding a child... It's a dog! No need variety and change of taste every day.

Preparing a good nutritious fresh meal for a dog is not easy. You should google for the proper way to do it. In any case no spices whatsoever, no onions, garlic. As some have already mentioned, dogs are carnivores, so it should be mostly meat. Dairy products are not health for any adults at all, not even for humans.

I feed my dogs only dry food of good quality (Royal Canine). I spoke with a Vet in Europe who told me that preparing a fresh meal is too much of a hassle, and he also feeds his dogs good quality dry food. According to him there is no much difference between the good brands, so pick 1 that is convenient for you to get.

As mentioned already, I use Royal Canine - this is what the breeder I bought my dog from feeds his dogs, so I just continued with this brand. Now I have some puppies and I have to order food for them in advance as no shop keeps the junior version of this food. Still easy enough.

You are way, way off line and clearly have not the first idea about feeding dogs.

I have three dogs, whom all were fed on top quality dry food. The young Great Dane ended up with all sorts of awful issues. Blood in his urine, blisters on his paws, runny big loo, skin breaking out with spores and discharges from his eyes. Our Vet, who is an otherwise very good Guy, kept upping the quality of the dry food until we were buying at in excess of 3,000 baht a go. My Wife, whose Great Dane is her "little boy" was getting very worried about him and we began to seriously doubt he would live that much longer. We had him since he was eight weeks old. She started reading avidly on the internet and came across this feeding system for dogs, which I have to say, I was very sceptical about. It is callled BARF and stands for Bone And Raw Food, which includes appropriate veggies and fruit - please note I said APPROPRIATE. We carefully transferred him on to a BARF diet over two weeks, until he was fully on BARF. Spores gone, blisters gone, urine clear, stools solid and eyes now 90% good - he still gets a little bit of a discharge. We did the same with our other two dogs, who frankly were bursting with health on whatever they ate - a labrador and terrier mix. We felt that if it brought about that much improvement in the Dane, it could but only do good for the other Guys. My Wife buys the raw meat and like a previous person, freezes it and keeps it. She takes the frozen meat out the night before and then feeds it to them for breakfast and dinner each day. She processes the appropriate veggies and fruit until they are like a puree and pours it over the fresh meat like a sauce. The meat is varied between beef, pork and chicken and they get fed the bones as well. Raw bone does not splinter so is perfectly safe. We also feed them raw fish. On Sundays, they get raw bones only.

Yes, dry (processed) food is convenient, but like all processed foods, including the ones we eat, has additives and they are not necessarily good for either dogs or people.

Note: Our Vet is so impressed by the recovery of the Great Dane, he also changed his dogs over to BARF. My Daughter in the UK has a rather old labrador who was also beginning to suffer all sorts of ailments. He is now on BARF and much to her delight (so she says) he is like a puppy again and running around with boundless energy. The Thai's have a BARF Club on Facebook, but unsure about the UK.

Buy a good quality dry dog food and add hot water, wait until cold and give to the dog (this will make the food soft and easier to eat). If he/she doesn't eat it at first don't stress out, when hunger the dog will eat. Then once every week or two give the dog a proper hard bone to chew, this will strengthen his/her jaws and provide calcium and keep him/her busy. Anything else is over the top and will make your dog fat and lazy. Remember your dog is not human (although we sometimes think the opposite).

Yes agree with the dry food......Pedigree is the brand name. Dogs are like kids, they will turn their nose up if its not chocolate if they can get away with it. Just have patience. The chicken necks are a good idea too, they have lots of fat.......dogs need lots of fat. The bones in chicken necks wont be a problem either....but not the other chicken bones. You could also boil some necks and pour on the dry food (let cool first). Dont give your dog raw eggs. The white of an egg destroys biotin, too many causes a form of malnutrition giving the dog a big belly. You can separate and give the yolk only or cook them but not too many. Can food is a waste of money.....even the best of it is just the dry kibble as above but is soaked in water and has gelatin (jelly) added which is laced with caramel.....thats why the dogs like it. A dog liking something is no indication that its good for them. You are paying for a high degree of water in canned dog food....I forget the percentage but think its near 90%. And provide lots of exercise......more exercise = less mischief! Good luck.

Just realised you posted about milk, never give dogs or cats cows milk as they can't digest lactose properly. It doesn't always cause problems in dogs but it can cause bloat or cramps and ours have never been fed it from puppies so they don't miss it. I forgot to mention in my previous post the cost of the frozen dogfood in Makro, 29 baht a kilo so even though it's mostly mechanically recovered meat I think it represents good value for a 1 kg bag.

I thought dry food was prone to give dog allergies and while pedigree has a good name it's not really too good. Only what I've read.

Besides, dry dog food here is bloody expensive and by all accounts mostly rice and filler isn't it?

Same in Europe, dried food uses a lot of cereal which in itself isn't bad but it's the same as for us in that processed food isn't good for you. You don't see the big problems because dogs don't live as long as us. Our dogs love boiled rice and my wife always makes too much so they get plenty of high quality rice as my father in law is a rice farmer plus as I love veg like broccoli and cauliflower they get good veg as well. About every 2 or 3 weeks I love 'proper' roast chicken with sage'n'onion stuffing so the dogs get the skin and leftovers along with the 'properly' made Bisto gravy from the meat juices. I hope our dogs don't get overweight but we live 5 mins walk from the beach and the problem is getting our youngest dog out when we want to go home, she loves the water and sulks like a little kid lol.

Upscale dogfood in US,such as One Beyond by Purina contains chicken and brown rice. Or lamb and peas for allergies. I thought dry food cleans their teeth! I always try to follow soft food with dry for tooth cleaning and less soft food!

Cheers

brown

Do dogs get together and have a fry up in nature?Raw food is the best.

You are way, way off line and clearly have not the first idea about feeding dogs.

I have three dogs, whom all were fed on top quality dry food. The young Great Dane ended up with all sorts of awful issues. Blood in his urine, blisters on his paws, runny big loo, skin breaking out with spores and discharges from his eyes. Our Vet, who is an otherwise very good Guy, kept upping the quality of the dry food until we were buying at in excess of 3,000 baht a go. My Wife, whose Great Dane is her "little boy" was getting very worried about him and we began to seriously doubt he would live that much longer. We had him since he was eight weeks old. She started reading avidly on the internet and came across this feeding system for dogs, which I have to say, I was very sceptical about. It is callled BARF and stands for Bone And Raw Food, which includes appropriate veggies and fruit - please note I said APPROPRIATE. We carefully transferred him on to a BARF diet over two weeks, until he was fully on BARF. Spores gone, blisters gone, urine clear, stools solid and eyes now 90% good - he still gets a little bit of a discharge. We did the same with our other two dogs, who frankly were bursting with health on whatever they ate - a labrador and terrier mix. We felt that if it brought about that much improvement in the Dane, it could but only do good for the other Guys. My Wife buys the raw meat and like a previous person, freezes it and keeps it. She takes the frozen meat out the night before and then feeds it to them for breakfast and dinner each day. She processes the appropriate veggies and fruit until they are like a puree and pours it over the fresh meat like a sauce. The meat is varied between beef, pork and chicken and they get fed the bones as well. Raw bone does not splinter so is perfectly safe. We also feed them raw fish. On Sundays, they get raw bones only.

Yes, dry (processed) food is convenient, but like all processed foods, including the ones we eat, has additives and they are not necessarily good for either dogs or people.

Note: Our Vet is so impressed by the recovery of the Great Dane, he also changed his dogs over to BARF. My Daughter in the UK has a rather old labrador who was also beginning to suffer all sorts of ailments. He is now on BARF and much to her delight (so she says) he is like a puppy again and running around with boundless energy. The Thai's have a BARF Club on Facebook, but unsure about the UK.

Processed dog food is convenient for us,not the dog.We all know the crap they put in our processed food,why would dogs and cats be any different,if not worse.All i can say is look to nature and vary it.Animals get bored too of the same diet,every day.People say they are just dogs,but they are smart and if you love them and are responsible you will go the extra yard.

We do buy dog food. However their main diet is chopped up chicken carcasses (sometimes as low as ฿17 / Kg at Makro) cooked for an hour or two on a charcoal stove. No nonsense about dogs choking on chicken bones. They are healthy, non aggressive, happy animals. Th wife says that giving dogs raw meat makes them aggressive which I had never heard before.

My neighbor in Hawaii has been talking about this and running ads as a public service. They call it biologically active raw food, Maybe can Google that for more advice. Great idea..I forgot about his!

Animals are... Amazing!!

I used to buy cheap chicken, beef, lamb basically any cheap meat liver kidneys ect ect and then add as many vegetables as i could mince it in a Large fo od processor than microwave it and then freeze it in small individual bags then de frost and mix it down with cooked rice. It would take me a morning to sort and would make enuf for 8 -12. Weeks and relatively cost v little

My dog looked amazing and did a 2 mile a

day run with me until it was killed by a car at 17 , my cat eat the same until its final 5 years when it developed systitis which could only be controlled by a certain dried food and died at 24.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Archived