Food ideas for dog

We do buy dog food. However their main diet is chopped up chicken carcasses (sometimes as low as ฿17 / Kg at Makro) cooked for an hour or two on a charcoal stove. No nonsense about dogs choking on chicken bones. They are healthy, non aggressive, happy animals. Th wife says that giving dogs raw meat makes them aggressive which I had never heard before.

Back in the day when chickens were allowed to develop and age relatively naturally, chicken bones were sharp and broke with jagged edges. And were reckoned to be hazardous for domestic dogs. now with chickens filled with anti bio's and steroids to promote quick meat growth, the bones don't get a chance to develop and can almost be crumbled by hand, as you say they arnt a problem. Virtually the same applies to farmed fish.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dogs don't eat vegetables or other carbs in nature. They are carnivores. They process meat, milk and fat very well. Do you have a crock pot you can fill with cheap cuts of meat and cook until it's falling apart? Some of that and some of the broth will work. The dog doesn't need any spices and especially not onion or garlic which it can't process. You can freeze it in portions and keep some out ahead of time as needed.

There are some canned dog foods that are almost all animal protein but I don't know if you can buy it in LOS.

Wrong. They're omnivores, like us. If I had my time with my dogs over again, I'd have given them more vegetables in their diet. Unfortunately they were all rescue dogs and'd got used to fried chicken .. sad.png

Dry food is not all the same. Ash is a bog culprit in a dogs diet if he is on dry food. BARF is mostl likley spot on. I have a small dog who is very much a senior and do what I can to keep her on my plan.....no human bites and quality protein. small dogs eat way less so its ez to monitor everything.

I read somewhere here that in their natural environment dogs don't eat soup or have a fry up. Make sense to me. Might provide dry food....give a raw pork bone morning and a piece of chicken frame night time

What a silly thing to say? Do you think all dogs in their pre evolved state hunted Deer? Maybe a rat? I imagine a Shitzu is a hybrid of several Asian breeds and I bet they didn't eat processed foods. I'm just saying I think this will work for me and my dog. It's convenient, she likes fresh food better than cooked and it has to be reasonably healthy. In any case maybe there's no right or wrong answer. Like some humans eat take away, drink themselves into oblivion every night and smoke...and live forever.

I feed my dogs only dry food of good quality (Royal Canine). I spoke with a Vet in Europe who told me that preparing a fresh meal is too much of a hassle, and he also feeds his dogs good quality dry food. According to him there is no much difference between the good brands, so pick 1 that is convenient for you to get.

As mentioned already, I use Royal Canine - this is what the breeder I bought my dog from feeds his dogs, so I just continued with this brand. Now I have some puppies and I have to order food for them in advance as no shop keeps the junior version of this food. Still easy enough.

Sorry to burst your bubble my friend, but Royal Canine is NOT a premium brand of dried dog food. If you were to peak at the ingredients, you'll see corn or some other grain as the main ingredient. If you were to look this up, you'll find plenty of info explaining why this is bad for any dog.

ANF Holistic is a premium brand available in Thailand, for about 3000baht for a large bag. Some places also carry other premium brands like Taste of the Wild or Chicken Soup for the Soul.

What exactly is the natural environment for a domestic animal? How many shitzus have ever taken down a deer?

my two German Dachshunds like to hunt polar bears and rhinos. but they also like their daily vegetable (cauliflower, green beans, pumpkin) and fruit on top of their chicken breast, liver and/or pork spare ribs. they are crazy about icecream which they get after a hated vet visit.

addendum: the preparation of their menue takes me 20-25 minutes which i enjoy!

What a silly thing to say? Do you think all dogs in their pre evolved state hunted Deer? Maybe a rat? I imagine a Shitzu is a hybrid of several Asian breeds and I bet they didn't eat processed foods. I'm just saying I think this will work for me and my dog. It's convenient, she likes fresh food better than cooked and it has to be reasonably healthy. In any case maybe there's no right or wrong answer. Like some humans eat take away, drink themselves into oblivion every night and smoke...and live forever.

The deer analogy was an example.

But here have a look at a wiki snip.

Although initially thought to have originated as a manmade variant of an extant canid species (variously supposed as being the dhole,[4]golden jackal,[5] or gray wolf[6]), extensive genetic studies undertaken during the 2010s indicate that dogs diverged from an extinct wolf-like canid in Eurasia 40,000 years ago.[7] Being the oldest domesticated animal, their long association with people has allowed dogs to be uniquely attuned to human behavior,[8] as well as thrive on a starch-rich diet which would be inadequate for other canid species.[9]

My 2 dogs are 12 years old and 8 months ago they become intolerant to the usual meat and veg diet they were on for years. They began to get chronic diarrhea and allergy problems and I had to think of something quick. Over the months with the help of our vet I came up with the perfect diet and my dogs are thriving on it.

In the morning they get a mixture of half a fish, one of those silver one`s that looks like tab tim fish but a lot cheaper, with half a tin of ID prescription diet food and some potato mixed in. In the evening they get half a fish and half a tin of ID prescription diet food. Except for the tinned food everything has to be cooked, boiled preferably, never fried or grilled and the fish must be boned and cleaned.

^^ if its the fish Im Thinking,, would have thought that the fish bones, barring. Maybe, any really nasty ones in the head, would have been excellent roughage.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are a lot of conflicting opinions here.

My dogs get minced roasted chicken carcass from the market. Although I'm concerned that they (the stall holders) baste the skin with a garlic based liquid in the process, it does not seem to have affected their (the dogs) health. We mix it with smartheart biscuits which they eat some of, but are not bothered about, and barbecued offal. (I don't think smartheart is particularly good in terms of dry food, but all of this dry food is ultimately overly-processed. Pedigree being amongst the worst, which most of the dogs I have ever known wouldn't even touch.) I wonder how the dog-owners who support the sole use of dry food would feel about eating mineral pellets for the rest of their own meals until they died.

My dogs also get and enjoy cooked or raw bones of whatever animal- they crunch them up and love them, but they have zero interest in raw meat except beef, or similar red meats.

I give my dog one cooked meal a day of pumpkin, organ meat (usually liver) and chicken and then also keep out dry food (Smart Heart brand, mainly because they have one specific to small breeds) that he can take ad lib...my thinking being that the dried food will hopefully compensate for any nutrient lacks in the home cooked meal. Plus good for the teeth.

He loves the fresh cooked food, doesn't really like the dried food but will eat it when he's hungry enough.

The pumpkin is a recent addition as he was having some colon problems -- fixed them nicely.

About once a week he gets some fish, usually steamed mackeral.

He's an old dog, about 13-14 years, but still runs like the wind and very healthy.

• 2 years later...

Give my dogs a fish and boiled egg (with shell) for breakfast. Dinner they will get a chicken carcass or chicken breast/thighs and another small amount protein source (sometimes pork, sometimes beef). We buy in bulk and freeze for various amounts of times. In addition to their standard food (above), they will either receive a cup of dry food or left over meals. So usually rice or soup with vegetables/meat to get the nutrients the sole meat diet doesn't provide. A couple of times a week they will also get a little bit of organ and chicken feet (supposedly good for glucosamine/chondroitin). 

I also make a turmeric paste (turmeric, water, black pepper and coconut oil) and give it to the dogs morning and night. Just spread it over the chicken carcass and slice open the fish. One of our dogs has growing pains sometimes and we initially got pain killers from the vet. The turmeric paste works just as well - plus is healthier and cheaper. Maybe an option for those people who have older dogs with arthritis or joint issues. I mainly use the turmeric and the chicken feet as our dogs are continually putting their joints through stress, so it is mostly in hope that it will slow down early arthritis/inflammation to help them in the future. 

My step mother is from Singapore so I got desnsitised to at least eating chicken feet before I moved here. Sometimes still feel a bit weird handling them though.

Been doing the turmeric for about a month now. The Fila got in a bit of pain on one leg again (just over 1 year old now) and was pretty down on himself. After a few days of turmeric he was back to his normal annoyingly energetic self lol. I remembered reading a long time ago somewhere that studies found it as effective as ibuprofen (haven't looked at the study though). Seeing as the NSAIDs the vets prescribe can be really hit and miss with side effects it may be an option for people. 

23 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Give my dogs a fish and boiled egg (with shell) for breakfast. Dinner they will get a chicken carcass or chicken breast/thighs and another small amount protein source (sometimes pork, sometimes beef). We buy in bulk and freeze for various amounts of times. In addition to their standard food (above), they will either receive a cup of dry food or left over meals. So usually rice or soup with vegetables/meat to get the nutrients the sole meat diet doesn't provide. A couple of times a week they will also get a little bit of organ and chicken feet (supposedly good for glucosamine/chondroitin). 

I also make a turmeric paste (turmeric, water, black pepper and coconut oil) and give it to the dogs morning and night. Just spread it over the chicken carcass and slice open the fish. One of our dogs has growing pains sometimes and we initially got pain killers from the vet. The turmeric paste works just as well - plus is healthier and cheaper. Maybe an option for those people who have older dogs with arthritis or joint issues. I mainly use the turmeric and the chicken feet as our dogs are continually putting their joints through stress, so it is mostly in hope that it will slow down early arthritis/inflammation to help them in the future. 

Have you got a spare kennel I could rent to move into?

23 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Are chicken feet all cartilige? I am paranoid about chicken bones for our dog.

22 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

My step mother is from Singapore so I got desnsitised to at least eating chicken feet before I moved here. Sometimes still feel a bit weird handling them though.

Been doing the turmeric for about a month now. The Fila got in a bit of pain on one leg again (just over 1 year old now) and was pretty down on himself. After a few days of turmeric he was back to his normal annoyingly energetic self lol. I remembered reading a long time ago somewhere that studies found it as effective as ibuprofen (haven't looked at the study though). Seeing as the NSAIDs the vets prescribe can be really hit and miss with side effects it may be an option for people. 

Can you give some approximate quantities for the turmeric mix please? Our dog is struggling to overcome a leg sprain and the anti-inflammatories from the vet seem to be taking forever to resolve it.

On 3/8/2016 at 10:18 AM, LukKrueng said:

As mentioned already, I use Royal Canine - this is what the breeder I bought my dog from feeds his dogs, so I just continued with this brand.

The wife's Chihuahua is given Royal Canine. It's what he started on and doesn't seem keen on anything else. He get half a pear apple almost daily, some chicken hearts at the week end (50 Baht Tesco express) he doesn't like the livers. Almost never eats rice. He seems to be happy if those crazy circles he does are anything to go by?

Amen to Turmeric. Many of my running friends use it. Should also be good for dogs. The stuff from 7-Eleven says about 400mg a day for humans so prorate it for Kgs? 

23 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Are chicken feet all cartilige? I am paranoid about chicken bones for our dog.

I don't cook the chicken feet, so it doesn't matter what they are if they are providing the glucosamine and chondroitin. Only cooked bones are a real worry for me (as they splinter). My dogs are bigger so crush bones like carrots anyway. If you are worried about choking, supervise the dog whilst they are eating them. You will soon learn how the dog approaches the bones and can then trust it in the future with them. 

23 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Can you give some approximate quantities for the turmeric mix please? Our dog is struggling to overcome a leg sprain and the anti-inflammatories from the vet seem to be taking forever to resolve it.

Depends on how big your dog is really. There hasn't been any real research on what a correct dose should be. But what we do know is that is needs to be added to black pepper and coconut oil to help the body absorb it. Also needs to be given 2-3 times a day as it leaves the body quickly. My dog is about 55kg at 1 year old now so I give it half a tablespoon of the paste in the morning and half in the evening. I store the paste in the fridge for about 2 weeks before making a new one. 

Start small, maybe half a teaspoon and see how the dog goes with it. 

To make the paste it is:
turmeric for dogs

45 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Depends on how big your dog is really. There hasn't been any real research on what a correct dose should be. But what we do know is that is needs to be added to black pepper and coconut oil to help the body absorb it. Also needs to be given 2-3 times a day as it leaves the body quickly. My dog is about 55kg at 1 year old now so I give it half a tablespoon of the paste in the morning and half in the evening. I store the paste in the fridge for about 2 weeks before making a new one. 

Start small, maybe half a teaspoon and see how the dog goes with it. 

To make the paste it is:
turmeric for dogs

And that's where the recipe falls apart in Thailand.

Organic turmeric?

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And that's where the recipe falls apart in Thailand.

Organic tumeric?

We have it on our farm. I didn't know at first though and when discussing the recipe with a colleague at work she came back an hour later with pepper and turmeric from the local market. 

*Edit: The stuff at Makro also does the job in terms of painkilling if people are too lazy to handle the plant (as literally everything turns yellow). 

Just now, wildewillie89 said:

We have it on our farm. I didn't know at first though and when discussing the recipe with a colleague at work she came back an hour later with pepper and turmeric from the local market. 

You're lucky.

Do you think that either the pepper or turmeric bought at the market was organic??

Archived