Food ideas for dog

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

You're lucky.

Do you think that either the pepper or turmeric bought at the market was organic??

The market turmeric was still in plant form. So people most probably picked/bought it from a farm like ours and then sell it on for a higher price. Usually what happens in rural areas if people don't have farm land. 

In saying that, the dose is so small that I am sure the turmeric you can buy in both Tesco and Makro would not harm the dog. Also achieves the desired benefits. Wouldn't surprise me if even the Makro one in the bag was organic, the Mrs says the stuff is everywhere here in Thai (hence why sell it at markets). The Tesco one is just a little jar in the spice section. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

The market turmeric was still in plant form. So people most probably picked/bought it from a farm like ours and then sell it on for a higher price. Usually what happens in rural areas if people don't have farm land. 

In saying that, the dose is so small that I am sure the turmeric you can buy in both Tesco and Makro would not harm the dog. Also achieves the desired benefits. Wouldn't surprise me if even the Makro one in the bag was organic, the Mrs says the stuff is everywhere here in Thai (hence why sell it at markets). The Tesco one is just a little jar in the spice section. 

Nonetheless, I'd be extremely suprised if any of it was organic!

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Nonetheless, I'd be extremely suprised if any of it was organic!

If it achieves the desired effects, if the dose is small enough and if it is good enough quality for human consumption, then I really do not see the problem. I would be inclined to think the potential benefits probably outweigh any risks. 

If you want to be that fussy because you do not have access to organic turmeric (which I would say may be an issue of not looking hard enough), then best just to feed dog food - the least organic of all. 

Dogs are classed as omnivores as like wolves they will and do eat plant materials including nuts, berries, grains etc.

They will also hunt out beetles etc.

The intestinal length of a dog is slightly longer than that of a cat, making it possible for dogs to digest plant material.

Cats are carnivores.

Both eat grass if they have digestive problems and dogs seem to be more selective on what they eat.    You may see two dogs with the same problem eat different grasses within metres of each other.

Unfortunately many ( house ) dogs here are left just scraps of food and eat whatever they are given if hungry enough, including things that are not good for them.

If anyone reads this posting I have made an additional posting concerning information required on Degenerative Myelopathy in dogs; any feedback would be very welcome.     Thank you.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Depends on how big your dog is really. There hasn't been any real research on what a correct dose should be. But what we do know is that is needs to be added to black pepper and coconut oil to help the body absorb it. Also needs to be given 2-3 times a day as it leaves the body quickly. My dog is about 55kg at 1 year old now so I give it half a tablespoon of the paste in the morning and half in the evening. I store the paste in the fridge for about 2 weeks before making a new one. 

Start small, maybe half a teaspoon and see how the dog goes with it. 

To make the paste it is:

Thanks again for the tip about the turmeric paste. We started him on it last week and, while he doesn't seem too keen on it, we manage to get him to eat most of it.

His limp was still lingering so we went back again to the vet today and she has diagnosed a luxating patella, something I had never heard of before, but essentially a displacement of the kneecap, which is apparently quite common in small breeds. Hopefully he won't need surgery, and with a more careful diet, including the turmeric paste, and possibly losing a kilo or so, he should be ok. Here is a photo of him demanding attention.

download_20180628_155931.jpg

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Thanks again for the tip about the turmeric paste. We started him on it last week and, while he doesn't seem too keen on it, we manage to get him to eat most of it.

His limp was still lingering so we went back again to the vet today and she has diagnosed a luxating patella, something I had never heard of before, but essentially a displacement of the kneecap, which is apparently quite common in small breeds. Hopefully he won't need surgery, and with a more careful diet, including the turmeric paste, and possibly losing a kilo or so, he should be ok. Here is a photo of him demanding attention.

download_20180628_155931.jpg

Yes, although I have never had a dog with it (only ever had one small dog), I have heard it is quite common in small dogs (most often genetic and small breeds make up about 75% of cases in clinics). I think large dogs who have hip dysplasia also sometimes get luxating patellas. The chicken feet may be useful for the dog (glucosamine/chondroitin). 

Quite a few dogs (15-20% or so) who have luxating patellas eventually do their CCL cranial cruciate ligament (ACL Anterior cruciate ligament in human terms). I have owned 2 dogs that have done their CCLs but that was back in Australia where we had to desex at a young age, which significantly increases the chance of the CCL going. It is the most common orthopaedic problem in dogs.

However, as your dog is small you have many more options. Many people opt not to do the surgery and the injury eventually recovers on its own in many instances with rest and pain relief. Bigger dogs and small dogs who completely tear it require surgery. Hopefully the diet will lower the risk of the CCL going, and yes, also losing a few kgs will help as a dog can do a CCL performing the most basic tasks it does on a daily basis. 

On 6/28/2018 at 11:29 AM, wildewillie89 said:

If it achieves the desired effects, if the dose is small enough and if it is good enough quality for human consumption, then I really do not see the problem. I would be inclined to think the potential benefits probably outweigh any risks. 

If you want to be that fussy because you do not have access to organic turmeric (which I would say may be an issue of not looking hard enough), then best just to feed dog food - the least organic of all. 

Please don't take offense, I was just trying (and obviously failing) to point out the difficulty in obtaining organic turmeric where I live.

Like you, I prefer a largely raw meat diet for my dogs - and have started to incorporate some fish/turmeric paste and chicken feet in their diet - as per your advice.

The chicken feet are particularly difficult, as every time I see them I 'heave' - and continue heaving for some time afterwards, which then results in a headache....

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Please don't take offense, I was just trying (and obviously failing) to point out the difficulty in obtaining organic turmeric where I live.

Like you, I prefer a largely raw meat diet for my dogs - and have started to incorporate some fish/turmeric paste and chicken feet in their diet - as per your advice.

The chicken feet are particularly difficult, as every time I see them I 'heave' - and continue heaving for some time afterwards, which then results in a headache....

I came across this page yesterday - https://dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-best-sources-of-glucosamine-for-dogs/

It includes a 'recipe' for bone broth in a crock pot - you can chuck in the chicken feet (or get someone to do it for you) or whatever other type of cartilage and leave it simmering for 24hours then discard all the solids, with all the collagen goodness now in the soup.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I came across this page yesterday - https://dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-best-sources-of-glucosamine-for-dogs/

It includes a 'recipe' for bone broth in a crock pot - you can chuck in the chicken feet (or get someone to do it for you) or whatever other type of cartilage and leave it simmering for 24hours then discard all the solids, with all the collagen goodness now in the soup.

In the summer I freeze the broth and give it to them. Healthy for them, and a good treat for them to lick to cool them down. 

Just now, RuamRudy said:

Wouldn't help as I would still have to look at and handle the chicken feet when buying, and put them in the pot....

Unfortunately, just the sight of them makes me 'heave'.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Wouldn't help as I would still have to look at and handle the chicken feet when buying, and put them in the pot....

Unfortunately, just the sight of them makes me 'heave'.

I hear you. In a foolish quest for authentic dim sum, I tried them once in Singapore. I shan't be repeating the experience.

Try and think of the benefits they provide to the dog, rather than the 'feet' aspect of them. Raw diets are always messy, always more time consuming, and always more 'gross'. It is why it is mostly still a minority of people who decide to feed their dogs that way. 

Feet, once get over the psychological aspect, end up being the easiest and most enjoyable to handle. No blood, easy to scoop up, easy to bag and freeze etc. 

I once fed the dogs lung, that was the most effort for me. Tongue, heart, liver, head etc are all pretty straight forward, but lung was an effort. Dogs didn't like it in the end so was a little win for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Give my dogs a fish and boiled egg (with shell) for breakfast. Dinner they will get a chicken carcass or chicken breast/thighs and another small amount protein source (sometimes pork, sometimes beef). We buy in bulk and freeze for various amounts of times. In addition to their standard food (above), they will either receive a cup of dry food or left over meals. So usually rice or soup with vegetables/meat to get the nutrients the sole meat diet doesn't provide. A couple of times a week they will also get a little bit of organ and chicken feet (supposedly good for glucosamine/chondroitin). 

I also make a turmeric paste (turmeric, water, black pepper and coconut oil) and give it to the dogs morning and night. Just spread it over the chicken carcass and slice open the fish. One of our dogs has growing pains sometimes and we initially got pain killers from the vet. The turmeric paste works just as well - plus is healthier and cheaper. Maybe an option for those people who have older dogs with arthritis or joint issues. I mainly use the turmeric and the chicken feet as our dogs are continually putting their joints through stress, so it is mostly in hope that it will slow down early arthritis/inflammation to help them in the future. 

I've largely adopted your 'menu' - but the main meal is a hunk of Aussie beef or lamb rather than chicken (as I trust Thai meat even less than I trust 'Western' meat ☹️).

Unfortunately, one of my dogs won't eat a whole or chunks of raw Mackerel - so I blend the raw fish and veg. with beef offal, and then mix in a raw egg (including shell) and the turmeric paste.  Revolting for me (I still heave whilst cutting up the Mackerel), but both my dogs (and the neighbours' dog....) love it!

Lunchtime, I give them chicken or duck feet with the turmeric paste.  Also revolting to me - but I'm getting used to it, and it's nowhere near as bad as hacking up a Mackerel ?.

The things we do for our much-loved dogs ?!  Worth it though, if it results in a longer and healthier life.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've largely adopted your 'menu' - but the main meal is a hunk of Aussie beef or lamb rather than chicken (as I trust Thai meat even less than I trust 'Western' meat ☹️).

Unfortunately, one of my dogs won't eat a whole or chunks of raw Mackerel - so I blend the raw fish and veg. with beef offal, and then mix in a raw egg (including shell) and the turmeric paste.  Revolting for me (I still heave whilst cutting up the Mackerel), but both my dogs (and the neighbours' dog....) love it!

Lunchtime, I give them chicken or duck feet with the turmeric paste.  Also revolting to me - but I'm getting used to it, and it's nowhere near as bad as hacking up a Mackerel ?.

The things we do for our much-loved dogs ?!  Worth it though, if it results in a longer and healthier life.

My Fila is having problems with his back left leg...vet gave him carprofen for a couple of weeks and something else I forgot the name of to help synovial fluids. Took him off the turmeric whilst giving it to him as both are anti inflammatory. Now he is back on the turmeric. Interestingly enough, the turmeric did more for pain relief than the carprofen. Every dog will be different obviously though. 

It is a weird problem. He has absolutely no problems running (normally), jumping, walking, climbing stairs, standing on his back legs...only struggles with sitting (prefers the lazy sit) and sometimes is sore getting up. I am thinking most likely hips (one worse than the other) as 40% of the breed has bad hips. Vet wanted to have a go at the fluids first before x-raying.

Another interesting thing was that he tested positive to anaplasmosis. However, both the vet and I think maybe it was a false positive as he is treated and had absolutely no symptoms or ticks (short haired so not hard to see). Got our other dog tested as well and came back negative. They kill a few cats so I wonder about the chances of transmission through killing infected animals. But if my dog was truly positive I am sure the healthy diet made his immune system strong enough to deal with it. Even without doxy dogs that have no clinical symptoms usually have no problems eliminating the disease themselves. 

*If ever have to get doxy, get at the pharmacy. Vet quoted us 1,200 baht I think. We got it for 440 baht. I already knew, but the vet confirmed we can give human doxy to the dog. 

• 10 months later...

There is little/no reason to do so?

I'm not keen on giving my dogs Thai chicken, but nowadays do so (for 3 meals out of 21) when I realised that my expenditure on dog food was way more than I can afford.

One of my dogs isn't keen on the chicken wings I provide every now and again - but will eat them as she knows that the other dogs will happily take over her meal!

Archived