It’s okay to have a beer on the beach, says Patong police chief

snoop1130

It’s okay to have a beer on the beach, says Patong police chief
The Phuket News

post-249866-0-12499100-1457358250_thumb.
It’s okay to have a beer on Patong Beach, says the local police chief. Photo: Suthicha Sirirat

PHUKET: -- Kathu Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikum has confirmed to The Phuket News that drinking beer on Patong Beach is okay by his officers, despite reports by beachgoers earlier today (Mar 7) that alcohol had been banned by the military.

One beachgoer raised the issue with The Phuket News, saying, “Two vendors on the beach told us that they were not allowed to sell alcohol anymore.

“They said the military had ordered the ban and that anyone found drinking alcohol on the beach would be arrested and fined.”

However, that understanding was news to Col Chaiwat, who this afternoon told The Phuket News, “Selling alcohol on public land – including the beach – is illegal, but we will not take any action against people drinking alcohol (in moderation) on Patong Beach.”

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/it-okay-to-have-a-beer-on-the-beach-says-patong-police-chief-56505.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-07

expect more confusion and denials in the days ahead ...as is normal coffee1.gif

No confusion on the contrary very clear "“Selling alcohol on public land – including the beach – is illegal, but we will not take any action against people drinking alcohol (in moderation) on Patong Beach.”

The message ?

Buy and carry beer to the beach yourself but do NOT expect to buy beer ON the beach.

Understand ?

Do not forget to take away the empties.

A great part of life, sitting on a beach on a warm day with a cold tinny or ten.

I was on Victoria Australia's surf coast over summer (January). A beautiful sunny day, a mate and I headed down to the beach, I grabbed a six pack to share.

Had just cracked the first one open and some horrible beast of a sheila started barking at me "You are not allowed to drink beer here"

I told her I wasn't hurting anyone and that I was very thirsty. Well, she dobbed us in to the lifeguard, who said we had to tip them out, or leave or we would be fined!

So I hurriedly tipped it out. Down my throat. I wasn't going to waste beer!

And so we left to drink the others at my mates place.

Nice to see common sense prevails in Thailand and the fun police don't rule.

Clever people these Thais.

Gee, all the beaches I have been on, the beach chair lady goes to her big cooler box, pulls out a beer and brings it to me. So all these years selling beer on the beach is illegal? I mean, never ever heard of nor thought that would be an issue going to a beach resort locale!

Gee, all the beaches I have been on, the beach chair lady goes to her big cooler box, pulls out a beer and brings it to me. So all these years selling beer on the beach is illegal? I mean, never ever heard of nor thought that would be an issue going to a beach resort locale!

Not only selling the beer, also renting out the beach chairs is illegal.

Although it is a bit of a Nanny State rule there are many countries where this rule is in effect, personally I cannot see the difference in drinking on the beach & drinking outside a pub, providing the people concerned are of drinking age and do not litter the beach thereby spoiling the area for other beach goers.

between 2pm and 5pm?

Beer can be consumed at any time. What's the significance of your question which seems to relate to the sale of alcohol laws?

And this rule does not even apply to bars and restuarants. Only to buying in a shop, but not in a bottle shop .... oh well ...

So it sounds like BYOB is OK but buying beer from a vendor is using the beach in a

commercial operation so is forbidden. Fine my me, pack a small cooler, ice, beverages,

and some fruit. All good. thumbsup.gif

Here in Rayong the army have been pushing the police and recently they started fining bars who didn't have a music licence 50,000 baht, it's only a copyright problem if they play Thai music so all the bars playing farang music were ok. Also there have been undercover police going around looking for farang working, ie helping their wives by handing out menus etc. The police seem to be pushed to enforce some laws now.

I have been to Kata and Karon beaches in Phuket, and have drank plenty of beer

that was sold by the local beach vendors. I rented a beach umbrella and chairs,

ate my local lunch of chicken and corn on the cob as well as washed it down with a couple of

cool ones. Never a problem and the people who worked on the beaches were always

friendly and fun to be around. I have enjoyed swimming at this part of Phuket many times and enjoyed that

the water conditions were mostly quite calm with small waves, making it easy to swim or just relax for

as long as I wanted to. What's up with this latest stuff? Is Phuket starting to be a place to avoid in

Thailand? I am curious

Stargeezer

I have been to Kata and Karon beaches in Phuket, and have drank plenty of beer

that was sold by the local beach vendors. I rented a beach umbrella and chairs,

ate my local lunch of chicken and corn on the cob as well as washed it down with a couple of

cool ones. Never a problem and the people who worked on the beaches were always

friendly and fun to be around. I have enjoyed swimming at this part of Phuket many times and enjoyed that

the water conditions were mostly quite calm with small waves, making it easy to swim or just relax for

as long as I wanted to. What's up with this latest stuff? Is Phuket starting to be a place to avoid in

Thailand? I am curious

Stargeezer

Same here. I can't believe there is even an issue especially at the beach cities that thrive on tourism. I have been coming since 2004, over one dozen times and the thought never occurred to me that there was even the slightest chance that buying a beer at the beach was a problem.

Announcement.

You cant drink beer on the beach!

Next announcement.You can drink beer on the beach.

Previous announcement

You must carry your original Passport at all times.

Next announcement

No you dont

next announcement.

Yes you do

Its fun trying to guess how long the denial comes after the announcement

No its not

Yes it is

Archived