What is the "Coolest" Bike Made in Thailand?

Very Cool. Altho' looking at the pics of the bike on the road it does not seem to have much of a lean angle before that belly pan hits.

And any cool points scored by the engine configuration were wiped out by the video advertising ...... "V-Eight---V-Great". bah.gif

Ahhh ok. so others nominate what they think is cool and you add it to your "list" if you think it is cool.

Righty ohh then.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the Ducati I had in the states, I was very disappointed in the Scrambler I rode recently. Struck me as quite under-powered, and I didn't care at all for the wide handlebars and bolt upright riding position. I'm not sure what Ducati's game plan is these days. Apparently not racing so much, nor winning, anymore. Looks like they're most interested in selling average bikes to the masses. Panigales are much too expensive here to be cool.

The various Kawasaki 650s made here have quite a bit of merit. They've been around for a while, so service and parts are quite easy to come by. That they've been around for a while also means they can be had second hand relatively cheaply. They're also big enough to haul two people plus bags anywhere in Thailand. Barely big enough to do so! But big enough to do so. The engine isn't particularly high tech these days, but it produces about the same amount of torque as a Harley 883 Sportster or Yamaha Bolt, and has 15-20 more horsepower. Certainly not the "coolest" bikes ever made, but there lots of versatility in them that's hard to beat, and OP did stipulate "made in Thailand."

I haven't ridden the Z800, so can't really talk about it so much. I know it's pretty heavy, though, and have observed at least a few people unloading Z800s in favor of the 650s. No idea what that means. Just sayin'...

The price of 299,000 Baht suggests that the Yamaha MT-07 is made in Thailand. I think it's around 685-690cc or so. I kinda like it, but haven't ridden it. Really, Yamaha seems to have an off-again on-again relationship with selling their bigger bikes in Thailand, and I kinda worry about long terms parts and service availability. Sukuki seems worse in that regard. Any bike for which you have to wait 3-6 months for the (wrong?) parts to arrive and can't find ready service for is definitely uncool. And so who you gonna get to work on that pretty Benelli? Once the guy opens the engine, will they know what to do?

I think most Thai people are big, big fans of anything with the letters "Honda CB" at the front, and it doesn't much matter what comes after. Which means they tend to be extremely common, which is kind of not cool. But also means that they're probably easy enough to sell when the time comes, and that is pretty cool. Noticed a while back that the CB500 has ten more horsepower than my old Triumph 650 Bonneville. Not sure how it really would perform in comparison, but interesting. Still, gonna pass on the Honda "big bikes." I haven't heard anything good about their service departments just yet, but have heard lots of bad. Maybe in a few years, but not just yet.

I don't think I'd want a Harley 750, but is that one made in Thailand? Wherever it's made, I've read that it's selling quite well.

Have to pass on the various Thai brands of motorcycles, regardless of size. My experience is that they're much too likely to break down (though the good news is that parts are cheap).

I think that pretty much exhausts my list of potentially "cool" and made in Thailand bikes. I think I've gotten close to "cool" a few times above, but haven't quite made it to real "cool."

Your list can certainly vary, and surely will! My kid thinks her Yamaha GTX 125 is about the coolest thing in the world. smile.png

Edit PS: Bikes without greenbooks are definitely uncool, no matter what they look like, how big or small they are or how much power they might have.

"gonna pass on the Honda "big bikes." I haven't heard anything good about their service departments just yet, but have heard lots of bad. Maybe in a few years, but not just yet."

Who cares, wink.png

after the necessary services, to have no problems with any Guarantee claim at BIG WING Honda, have been done,

there is sure nearly everywhere in the surroundings of bigger cities a Good Thai mechanic to find who can do positive work on a BIG Honda, special these produced in Thailand.

I know one I trust, just after the BIG C entrance in Udon Thani city, city inward driving. clap2.gif

Bought a second hand Honda CB650F with some after market parts from the first owner and me attached , most important, the HYPER PRO spring and shock kit and the sound full IXIL Exhaust without silencer. whistling.gif

Coolest bike, but to expensive in comparison, Made in Thailand for me, in the moment = the DUCATI Monster821 in RED and with the after market exhaust sound. thumbsup.gif

Did you try an ER6 before the CB? I love the look of the honda and the inline 4 but er was more accessible to me at the time.

Did you try an ER6 before the CB? I love the look of the honda and the inline 4 but er was more accessible to me at the time.

YES, I tried all what I could get my DELETED on. tongue.png

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/

Also the 650 ER6 Kawasaki 2 C. But the Honda 4 C seemed for me the better bike over all now.

Also I found a good nearly new second hand bike with some after market attached already,

so making that a good deal.

Did not drive the Triumph Street Triple, which is favoured from most in that class - but the price?

and not the new Yamaha MT07 which should be the best =pound for pound= deal when calculating the light weight and the good price.thumbsup.gif

I notice you have not made a contribution to this thread other than to criticise others so in the spirit of the thread.

What bike made in Thailand do you think is "cool" ?

is there a comprehensive list of all the bikes that qualify as "made in thailand" ?

i know of a handful, but surely not all of them.... having a list would help.

out of what has been posted so far, id say CBR650F and Ducati Scrambler

the NEW cbr500 looks quite good (old one boring)... but its underpowered for its weight and size... or you could say its overweight

is there a comprehensive list of all the bikes that qualify as "made in thailand" ?

i know of a handful, but surely not all of them.... having a list would help.

out of what has been posted so far, id say CBR650F and Ducati Scrambler

the NEW cbr500 looks quite good (old one boring)... but its underpowered for its weight and size... or you could say its overweight

I don't know of a definitive list - but here's a go at making a list of motorcycles made in Thailand (not including Scooters) ......

- Triumph Street Twin and Triple and Daytona 675 - BOI arrangement

- Ducati Hypermotard, Diavel, Monster and Scrambler

- Kawasaki KSR 110, KLX 125 and 250, D-Tracker 250, Ninja 250/200, 650 twin range, Z250/300, Z800

- Honda Waves, Cubs etc., Sonic 125, MSX 125, CB/CRF 250 and 300 range, CB500 range, CB650

- BMW 800

- Aurora Hellfire - not yet in full production

- Tiger Boxer and Cub copy - not in production?

- Stallion Centaur

- Suzuki Van-Van 125, GD 110

- Yamaha TZR 150 - no longer in production

What have I missed .... ?

Gulf livery Honda Scoopy S12

?

I'm have to admit that when I first saw one of the 'Gulf' Scoopys I thought it was a bit cool (for a Scoopy anyway).

But then I wondered how many Scoopy riders would be old enough to remember the Gulf racing team?

Yeah...I thought the same thing. But then it's such a distinctive (and somewhat odd) color combination that I thought the owners (and especially the designer) just *had* to know the significance of that paint job.

I still want one.

OK - here's the updated list of Thai made bikes .....

Think we need a Poll to select the coolest Thai Made Bike.

- Kawasaki KSR 110, KLX 125 and 250, D-Tracker 250, Ninja 250/200, 650 twin range, Z250/300, Z800
- Honda Waves, Cubs etc., Sonic 125, MSX 125, CBR 150R, CB/CRF 250 and 300 range, CB500 range, CB650

- Honda Scoopy Gulf Racing S12 smile.png
- BMW 800

- Stallion Centaur

- Kawasaki GTO - no longer in production

I don't know of a definitive list - but here's a go at making a list of motorcycles made in Thailand (not including Scooters) ......

- Honda Waves, Cubs etc., Sonic 125, MSX 125, CB/CRF 250 and 300 range, CB500 range, CB650

- BMW 800

- Stallion Centaur

from that list

Daytona 675 looks pretty good.. dont like the headlights on the naked models though

duc monster and scrambler of course, classic look

CBR650f and new CBR500 both look cool... not a fan of the CB of CBX styles, but the CB650f seems to be immensely popular here

stallion centaur looks great and would make a fun scooter replacement for zipping around town

Gulf livery Honda Scoopy S12

I'm have to admit that when I first saw one of the 'Gulf' Scoopys I thought it was a bit cool (for a Scoopy anyway).

But then I wondered how many Scoopy riders would be old enough to remember the Gulf racing team?

Yeah...I thought the same thing. But then it's such a distinctive (and somewhat odd) color combination that I thought the owners (and especially the designer) just *had* to know the significance of that paint job.

I still want one.

Ways better than the usual pink scoopy with flower stickers 555

BTW, off topic, Ford GT40 replicas are not that expensive. That would be my vote for the coolest car.

- BMW 800

- Stallion Centaur

I don't see the Daytona at all on Triumphs website, I don't think they sell it here.

The Diavel might be import, it's significantly more expensive than in western countries.

The old Hypermotard and Panigale 899 were made in Thailand but not sure about the new 939 and 959. Right now probably import.

BMW: the S1000RR and S1000R are also made in Thailand

I'm told that Kaw makes the KLR650 here, for export only.

I think my Lifan200 was made in Rayong.

Amata City I believe for the Lifan,I have one.

It's not the coolest,but certainly one of the best value for money and fun!

BMW: the S1000RR and S1000R are also made in Thailand

what?! is that true? never heard that before... although granted im not in the market for that so never asked... but i never realized BMW had a factory here

They started in the end of 2013 to make bikes also http://bmwmcmag.com/2013/11/launch-of-bmw-motorcycle-production-in-thailand/

Cars longer than that.

Now I think it's the 800 series plus the two I mentioned. S1000XR would be a likely candidate next I'd assume.

That's why prices match the ones in western countries.

• 2 weeks later...

Most motorcycles are cool IMO.

But

Using the Top Gear adage defining coolness as the best bike to show up and pick up say Sonia Couling for a night out.

It's not about quality, reliability, speed, performance, or even style. As much as I get excited seeing a Panigale, I can say the same about the time I saw Mrs Couling. Maybe your dream girl would be more impressed with the coolness of a Kawasaki GTO than the thought of squeezing on the back of a Panigale?

I'd show up on a Ducati Hypermotard, more my idea of coolness.

Most motorcycles are cool IMO.

But

Using the Top Gear adage defining coolness as the best bike to show up and pick up say Sonia Couling for a night out.

It's not about quality, reliability, speed, performance, or even style. As much as I get excited seeing a Panigale, I can say the same about the time I saw Mrs Couling. Maybe your dream girl would be more impressed with the coolness of a Kawasaki GTO than the thought of squeezing on the back of a Panigale?

I'd show up on a Ducati Hypermotard, more my idea of coolness.

papa had to search Sonia.

Looks like she has a nice personality.

Nouvo can transport 2 Sonia sized girls on back.

[+ good headlight] ==> so double cool.

Cool is defined as what some random chick likes.... allrighty then.

Sonia Couling has been an extremely popular host on Thai TV for what 15 to 20 years, and is considered one of the hottest ladies over 40 by many Thai men. I don't live in country in more but know that she's hardly random.

Sonia Couling has been an extremely popular host on Thai TV for what 15 to 20 years, and is considered one of the hottest ladies over 40 by many Thai men. I don't live in country in more but know that she's hardly random.

Over 40?

Forget it.

Over 40?

Forget it.

Well, she is 41.

Archived