What is the "Coolest" Bike Made in Thailand?

Stallion is actually manufactured in China but assembled in Thailand.

With regard to quote: "the Stallion being a real motorbike but can fit in traffic like the small motorbikes"  the width of handle bars on a Honda Wave are narrower than that of a Stallion.  The Honda Wave 125 is quicker than the Stallion and a lot more reliable and in the event of the Honda having a problem, you can find the parts to get it repaired in no time.

The Triumph motorbike is manufactured in Thailand so why is that not on the list.

Harley Dividson is building a factory in Thailand so maybe that will be on the future list of those farang with midlife crisis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

The coolest bikes are BMW R 1200 GS,  BMW R 1150 GS and BMW R 1100 GS, but in Thailand far too expensive, triple price then in Europe. Due to heavy taxation of 100%. Europe should do the same with imports from Thailand.

DSCN5325.JPG

DSCN3803.JPG

DSCN4658.JPG

1. They are not made in Thailand. They are made in Berlin, Germany. Hence the import tax.

2. Cool is not the word i would use to describe a modern large GS. Maybe the first gen air cooled 800/1000, yes.

3. Just some of the words and descriptions i would use to describe the current range of large GS models, inc all 3 picture above would perhaps be;

overweight

over complicated

over priced (anywhere)

expensive to run (maintenance/ dealer service)

and finally, goddam ugly.

20 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

1....overweight

2..  over complicated

3..  over priced (anywhere)

4..  expensive to run (maintenance/ dealer service)

5... and finally, goddam ugly.

1...223 kg ain't bad for 1200 shaft driven motorbike.

2...Disagree the boxer engine is a peach to do DIY.

3...That's debatable out-sold the Honda Fireblade in 1 year in UK.

4...Disagree 16 kilos ltr ain't bad,  easy to maintain yourself.

5...I like em and they are great ride. :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

1...223 kg ain't bad for 1200 shaft driven motorbike.

2...Disagree the boxer engine is a peach to do DIY.

3...That's debatable out-sold the Honda Fireblade in 1 year in UK.

4...Disagree 16 kilos ltr ain't bad,  easy to maintain yourself.

5...I like em and they are great ride. :thumbsup:

1. Show me anywhere where a 1200GS weighs 223 kgs. Are you confusing yourself with the F800GS?

2. Er, no the current liquid cooled motors are not easy to work on. One word - electronics. Google maintenance, problems, warranty issues for the R1200GS. Pages of it. Again, perhaps you are confusing yourself with the earlier  air cooled motors which had far less electronics, in which case i agree. In fact the old 70's early 80's boxer motors and bikes were some of the easiest bikes to work on.

3. What does that mean? Is it cheap then?

4. I doubt there are 5% of owners who self maintain a R1200GS in the world. I certainly don't have the lap top with interface diagnostics to recalibrate the various electronics. An in between services oil change is a different matter. So those other 95% of owners will disagree with you about maintenance (read DEALER) costs.

5. That's your opinion which is fine. I've never ridden a modern one and have no intention to ever even want to sit on one.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. Show me anywhere where a 1200GS weighs 223 kgs.

Are you confusing yourself with the F800GS?

Emm  !!  OK another test from you to pass.  :laugh:

Ans yes it's dry weight.....Carbs down your blow a gasket.  

Here's one of many sources on the Adventure & GS's has other variants.

http://www.dualsportafrica.com/BMWR1200GSAdventure.htm

You don't like the GS l do so on the rest we're just agree to disagree.

15 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

Sofa for grandpas...

Perhaps you should get to grips with your reading comprehension.

I'm more than happy with my Vulcan, being of Grandpa age it's ok for me, taking into account the rural Thai roads and the erratic behaviour of many road users here. It's also suitable for my wife to ride, she has never ridden a "big" bike before. Having previously (a long time previously) owned a number of different bikes, including a semi race tuned GT750, I am aware that I would be unlikely to survive here long if I owned a similar machine and rode it in a similar manner to how I used to in my youth.

FWIW I've never liked BMW bikes and never will, but I don't knock them or other people's preference for them. Each to their own. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

But it's certainly not made in Thailand - so does not belong in this thread.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sorry. Slow down a bit, can you say that again in English, i did'nt understand any of it except the last line.

Pass what test?

Dry weight which bike?

carbs, blow, gasket?

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry. Slow down a bit, can you say that again in English, i did'nt understand any of it except the last line.

Pass what test?

Dry weight which bike?

carbs, blow, gasket?

Well as said GS off topic can get in Thailand & 12 dealers but not made here..

Anyway "test"  you said   "Show me anywhere where a 1200GS weighs 223 kgs." 

1...223 kg ain't bad for 1200 shaft driven motorbike.  Answer below.

As for Carbs thing l was trying a joke because you disputed another post of mine on Keihin carb sizes, if you don't like my info ignore it,  that's all l'm saying.

Okey dokey, i will. Ignore your info.

So i clicked on your link. Because i did not believe your figure of 223 kgs. Hell that's as light or lighter than an AT.

That is for the air/oil cooled model, same engine as fitted in the current R9T range. A 2010 model in a 2010 test. That's 7 years ago according to my maths.

I can't be arsed to find out what a current liquid cooled model weighs, because i'm not really interested, but i will tell you it will weigh a helluva lot more. They are not described as a ridiculous overweight off road bike for nothing.

Wow,  some people have a strange idea of what a cool bike is.  CB500X/R is cool? LMAO. They are nothing more than UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles). Cool bikes made in Thailand? It would have to be Triumphs classic range and Ducati....Some of the Japanese brands bike bikes if made here. New SR400's,  W800 Kawasaki,  neither made here.  My vote goes for a royal Enfield classic 500 (made in India) and Bonneville /Thruxton  'cause I have one of each

25 minutes ago, Bung said:

Wow,  some people have a strange idea of what a cool bike is.  CB500X/R is cool? LMAO. They are nothing more than UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles). Cool bikes made in Thailand? It would have to be Triumphs classic range and Ducati....Some of the Japanese brands bike bikes if made here. New SR400's,  W800 Kawasaki,  neither made here.  My vote goes for a royal Enfield classic 500 (made in India) and Bonneville /Thruxton  'cause I have one of each

I know what you mean about the CB500X,  it's a very good bike, and a logical choice for most real world uses, and the latest version with the led lights looks nice, but 'worthy' is not the same as 'cool'.

I've considered buying one, as it's good value and a decent ride, but it feels a bit like a 'good wife' rather than a 'hot girlfriend'.  I bet the CB500X would be a good cook and a caring mother, and it would always separate your white shirts from your coloured when washing your clothes. 

The Ducati Desert Sled on the other hand is like a wild, outdoorsy girl who looks hot in shorts and hiking boots, and if she ever did your washing, it would be in a mountain stream. 

The coolest bike ... I think we should include... The coolest bike in Thailand that is affordable... that opens the votes a bit more...

Do you remember your first bike?

See some of the characteristics on that in your choices or the bike you're riding now?

I think some, will always have brand loyalty... for me it is Honda and Kawasaki... as those are the bikes I have bought.

Remember your first,  Wheelies what were you in....

Let the good times roll.

On the pegs mates..

post-7852-0-53018800-1467734027_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

I know what you mean about the CB500X,  it's a very good bike, and a logical choice for most real world uses, and the latest version with the led lights looks nice, but 'worthy' is not the same as 'cool'.

I've considered buying one, as it's good value and a decent ride, but it feels a bit like a 'good wife' rather than a 'hot girlfriend'.  I bet the CB500X would be a good cook and a caring mother, and it would always separate your white shirts from your coloured when washing your clothes. 

The Ducati Desert Sled on the other hand is like a wild, outdoorsy girl who looks hot in shorts and hiking boots, and if she ever did your washing, it would be in a mountain stream. 

Beautiful women are not famously good at scrubbing floors lol

Horses for courses and all that... 

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

The coolest bike ... I think we should include... The coolest bike in Thailand that is affordable... that opens the votes a bit more...

Do you remember your first bike?

See some of the characteristics on that in your choices or the bike you're riding now?

I think some, will always have brand loyalty... for me it is Honda and Kawasaki... as those are the bikes I have bought.

Remember your first,  Wheelies what were you in....

Let the good times roll.

On the pegs mates..

post-7852-0-53018800-1467734027_thumb.jpg

Define affordable? What is affordable for one may be expensive to another.  Affordable bikes and peoples first bikes are rarely cool. My first bike was a Yamaha DT 360,  nothing cool about that in 1978. Not long after I had a Kawasaki Z900.  That was cool. 

Scooters are the floor scrubbers of the motorcycling world.  It's an inconsequential job and an inconsequential bike. Give me a wild,  long legged beauty anyday.  You metaphorically lock them away in a shed after you're done thrashing them anyway ready for when you desire to use them again. Perfect. 

2 hours ago, Bung said:

Define affordable? What is affordable for one may be expensive to another.  Affordable bikes and peoples first bikes are rarely cool. My first bike was a Yamaha DT 360,  nothing cool about that in 1978. Not long after I had a Kawasaki Z900.  That was cool. 

Around that time I had a KH250, my first proper bike. I lived in a village outside of Cambridge and a guy up the road had a Honda 400 Four. Most mornings we'd leave for work at the same time and race into Cambridge, with me invariably beating him........

......until he went and got a Z900, I held my own for a couple of days while he got to grips with it, then he was out of sight!

The coolest bike in Thailand is what a biker owns and l respect that even though lots of jokes can follow, dunno why some get so serious, in my book the ones that do ain't bikers. 

When l first posted l'm pretty sure l said Versys 650 best for Thailand well l would wouldn't l because l own one. :biggrin:

Having rode/driven all Thailand pretty much and rode so many bikes here for 220k for a Honda 500X takes a lot of beating and it's a lot of bike IMHO.

20 hours ago, Bung said:

Dunno, i reckon a DT360 twinshock (not the later ugly cantilever single shocks) is a pretty damn good looking motorcycle, hence cool. When i was 16 i always harked after the big Jap 2 stroke single trail bikes, but never got one.

The first bike that I thought was cool, which  I owned... outside of Thailand, but as a poster mention, coolness is personal...The Honda 350SL...loved that bike,... many great dirt rides and trail riding back in the day.post-7852-0-98623300-1465988566_thumb.jpgpost-7852-0-55478900-1448591973_thumb.jpg

On 17/07/2017 at 11:14 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Okey dokey, i will. Ignore your info.

So i clicked on your link. Because i did not believe your figure of 223 kgs. Hell that's as light or lighter than an AT.

That is for the air/oil cooled model, same engine as fitted in the current R9T range. A 2010 model in a 2010 test. That's 7 years ago according to my maths.

I can't be arsed to find out what a current liquid cooled model weighs, because i'm not really interested, but i will tell you it will weigh a helluva lot more. They are not described as a ridiculous overweight off road bike for nothing.

244kg according to this review.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-bmw-r1200gs-rallye-exclusive-first-look-review-eicma#page-3

The coolest Bike is the one in the Garage,you look at it and remember the near misses you had doing warp speeds a few years back , when the World went too slow and You Were Right.?[emoji468]?‍♀️[emoji469]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, Rhys said:

The first bike that I thought was cool, which  I owned... outside of Thailand, but as a poster mention, coolness is personal...The Honda 350SL...loved that bike,... many great dirt rides and trail riding back in the day.post-7852-0-98623300-1465988566_thumb.jpgpost-7852-0-55478900-1448591973_thumb.jpg

So if you're saying a 500x is cool we might as well say any bike ever made is cool. A Honda phantom is cool,  a PCX is cool..... That's this thread done! 

I think some criteria for what is a cool bike would include:

Some sort of historical or racing pedigree

Exclusiveness

Some sort of customization that is in keeping with its type. 

Attributes the 500x lacks. 

22 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Dunno, i reckon a DT360 twinshock (not the later ugly cantilever single shocks) is a pretty damn good looking motorcycle, hence cool. When i was 16 i always harked after the big Jap 2 stroke single trail bikes, but never got one.

Yes,  an original DT360 would be cool now (historical coolness) but in 1978 they weren't. 

Archived