What is the "Coolest" Bike Made in Thailand?

5 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Gs1200 is a pig but depends on what you want to use it for.... 

I used to ride a  bandit 1255fa around Thailand, it was also a pig in tight spaces but outside the city was a pleasurable experience 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Gs1200 is a pig but depends on what you want to use it for.... 

I used to ride a  bandit 1255fa around Thailand, it was also a pig in tight spaces but outside the city was a pleasurable experience 

I have no desire to ride such a heavy useless bike.

5 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

As someone rightly said not made in Thailand you can only buy em,  l'd liked em and a few on here don't,  fair enough.  

Here's 2017 Adventure spec 229 kg dry and with 30 kilos of fuel and 4 kilos of oil & water etc. 263 kg. £13, 000 in UK don't know how much here but l'd bet not 572,000 baht. :biggrin:

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw_r_1200_gs_adventure_2017.php

9 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

I have no desire to ride such a heavy useless bike.

Neither do I really but these big 1200cc bikes come into their own when you need to cross country, city to city riding etc 

Once it gets rolling you don't even notice the extra weight

I had an R1 years ago and I used to love  any excuse to take it on big roads where you can open it up,too dangerous for my liking now though

30 minutes ago, Bung said:

So if you're saying a 500x is cool we might as well say any bike ever made is cool. A Honda phantom is cool,  a PCX is cool..... That's this thread done! 

I think some criteria for what is a cool bike would include:

Some sort of historical or racing pedigree Exclusiveness

Some sort of customization that is in keeping with its type. 

Attributes the 500x lacks. 

Up to 15 pages not done yet.  :laugh:

There's too many bikes that have been cool over the years,  don't know if there's an original in Thailand but another one for me is the RC30.

One the comments l remember was :-

" There's simply nothing on it that's doesn't need to be there." 

Off topic the coolest bike for me was RC211V5 .

Customizing a bike is making individual, cool would be in the eye of the beholder.

500X good affordable all rounder bike for Thailand IMO.

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Yes,  an original DT360 would be cool now (historical coolness) but in 1978 they weren't. 

They were if you were 16 and riding an FS1E and not allowed to ride one on the road...

I passed my test in '77 when i was 17, 'bout 6-8 weeks after my birthday. The old man's Honda CD175 (not cool) was immediately sold and replaced with a Yamaha RD350 (very cool).

On 16.7.2017 at 5:50 AM, thaiguzzi said:

1. They are not made in Thailand. They are made in Berlin, Germany. Hence the import tax.

2. Cool is not the word i would use to describe a modern large GS. Maybe the first gen air cooled 800/1000, yes.

3. Just some of the words and descriptions i would use to describe the current range of large GS models, inc all 3 picture above would perhaps be;

overweight

over complicated

over priced (anywhere)

expensive to run (maintenance/ dealer service)

and finally, goddam ugly.

As I see you do not understand anything about modern motorbikes. Not expensive to run, low maintenance cost, not overpriced (in Thailand yes), not complicated, very reliable, no overweight, very handy. Good for travels from Europe to Asia or around the world.

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

They were if you were 16 and riding an FS1E and not allowed to ride one on the road...

I passed my test in '77 when i was 17, 'bout 6-8 weeks after my birthday. The old man's Honda CD175 (not cool) was immediately sold and replaced with a Yamaha RD350 (very cool).

16th birthday at my school was moped day and I had a KTM Comet Cross which I thought was uber cool.  A friend had a Yamaha FS1E which I have to say was faster on a good day.  Both bikes had peddles of course to get you up the hills.

2 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

As I see you do not understand anything about modern motorbikes.

Nah guzzi does he just don't like some of em,  me l do understand them and like em but not all of em. :biggrin:

1...223 kg ain't bad for 1200 shaft driven motorbike.
2...Disagree the boxer engine is a peach to do DIY.
3...That's debatable out-sold the Honda Fireblade in 1 year in UK.
4...Disagree 16 kilos ltr ain't bad,  easy to maintain yourself.
5...I like em and they are great ride. :thumbsup:

Cooler than the H2 ? Wow, u really are old.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Please explain why a 2016 bike makes me old,  l only quoted on a 2011 GS bike and a 93 blade. !!

Ah, ironic.  Kwasaki meant the new Ninja H2, but Ben thought about the original H2 two stroke 750 triple from the 1970's.  Both very cool bikes, and the original H2 gets extra cool points for being damn scary to ride.  (not that I'm old enough to remember......  ahem!)

But neither made here I'm sad to say.

17 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

As I see you do not understand anything about modern motorbikes. Not expensive to run, low maintenance cost, not overpriced (in Thailand yes), not complicated, very reliable, no overweight, very handy. Good for travels from Europe to Asia or around the world.

Whatever. Fanboy.

I can obviously see you love them. I don't.

Not complicated - ride by wire. A multitude of unneccessary electronics. DOHC, liquid cooling. I could go on.

Not overweight - the people who say this have not ridden off road bikes.

Very reliable - until they are not. There are dozens of pi$$ed off, disappointed owners out there on the forums. Google it.

IF i wanted to ride from Europe to Asia, which i don't,  i would choose something like a KLR or DR 650 single. Preferably the DR as it's air cooled.

GS "adventure lifestyle" fanboy's can never see the wheat from the chaff.

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Whatever. Fanboy.

I can obviously see you love them. I don't.

Not complicated - ride by wire. A multitude of unneccessary electronics. DOHC, liquid cooling. I could go on.

Not overweight - the people who say this have not ridden off road bikes.

Very reliable - until they are not. There are dozens of pi$$ed off, disappointed owners out there on the forums. Google it.

IF i wanted to ride from Europe to Asia, which i don't,  i would choose something like a KLR or DR 650 single. Preferably the DR as it's air cooled.

GS "adventure lifestyle" fanboy's can never see the wheat from the chaff.

Watch out, if you plan to cross Indonesia. They only let bikes into the country, which are up to 250ccm. I got stuck in Darwin once.

11 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Ah, ironic.  Kwasaki meant the new Ninja H2, but Ben thought about the original H2 two stroke 750 triple from the 1970's.  Both very cool bikes, and the original H2 gets extra cool points for being damn scary to ride.  (not that I'm old enough to remember......  ahem!)

But neither made here I'm sad to say.

Actually just anything with H2, I remember the 'Kettles' in the early 80's. Frames made from compressed cardboard I think... 

H2 is the heart of Kawasaki, though they do make 'sensible bikes' like ZX10's ...and some road legal track bikes, but they're not really pointlessly, stupidly insane like the H2) - though I'm sure the newer ones were a bit safer than the originals... 70's kettles were lethal. The new H2 in Mega's Kawasaki shop just looks really stupid - only crazy people with too much money and a real desire to dice with death would ever bother to buy one. 

Obviously I'm saying this because I can't afford one, otherwise it'd be an entirely different story. 

17 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

I do understand, sort of, modern motorcycles. I just don't like them. In fact i dislike most of the motorcycles made in the last 15 years. Count on one hand the bikes that have been made in the 21st century that i would buy.

Anyhow,  the pics shown in your post  - not a lot of mud and crap on those 3 bikes -  Not been off road have we? So what's the point fanboy? Lifestyle Ride?

Me, i'm a huge fan of British singles and twins, bygone era blah blah, but that does not mean i won't tell you a long list of things that are wrong with them from the factory.

Ditto, i'm a huge fan of Moto Guzzi big twins, i will also admit to their (relatively few) failings.

I also love air cooled Ducati's pre digital clock era ie pre 2006, plenty wrong with them too.

Ditto pre twin cam Harleys and pre '03 Sportsters - love 'em. Plenty wrong with them stock out the factory though.

There was only one 2001 CBX1000 l could find for sale in Thailand which came out in 1976.

Couldn't find a Z1300 it was only mentioned on a Thai web site which came out in 1978. 

UK Bike mag had a  'Cool bike'  article back in 2006 and the Z1300 won the ' Extreme Cool ' section,  l rode one and it certainly was a monster.

A great laugh for me were last lines they wrote the Z is cooler than CBX cause the Z1300 is a buffalo of a bike, a huge snorting bison of a thing,  so heavy and cumbersome it's a full upper-body workout just lifting it off the side-stand.

Drop one and you'll need a rescue party with slings and hoists to get the over 300kg monster upright again.

The CBX is,  by comparison , rather dainty,  bit of an angel-cake,  so simple angel-cakes ain't cool Buffaloes are. 

4bfc9a1822285a1b2254c09155c72ed7.jpg.111c6682240948324c023ad6ba190f2b.jpg

^^^  I bought a new KZ1300 in Florida for $3995 in 1980.  Later I paid another $400 for the matching fairing.

It was absolutely a very big water buffalo! I did blast away from a CBX1000 on it one time.

Both bikes were very rare back then.

Here I am in Florida in 1982:

KZ1300.jpg.4f8f0116fbd71c59d6c89caf91d53fc8.jpg

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Now that's one cool baby. Any idea if they are road legal with all due paperwork done and where you can purchase one such model?

Of course you can and if you get a work permit you can sell hot-dogs.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Now that's one cool baby. Any idea if they are road legal with all due paperwork done and where you can purchase one such model?

I owned one of them rigs, even in same color.

Worst crap I ever owned, the front brake was useless, conical electric problems.

I was happy when I sold it.

Tiger Retro with sidecar and yes it was road legal, Tiger is now closed I think.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:10 AM, Tech65 said:

I like this one. Super for Bangkok traffic and bumpy roads. 

KLX 150.

A right proper little motorcycle.  If I was in Thailand right now, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Probably also get a Yama Exciter 150 so I could play boy racer. I'm hesitant to buy a bike that weighs more than twice as much as me.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Of course you can and if you get a work permit you can sell hot-dogs.

:cheesy:...actually I was looking for something similar to go and buy my hot dogs!!...

(as the Quadro 4 wheeler scooter is not road legal in thailand and the Piaggio Mp3 heats up a bit fast)

So you would think that any bike shop would have such a bike as on the pic with a side car and the whole issue would be properly Thai road legal?

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I owned one of them rigs, even in same color.

Worst crap I ever owned, the front brake was useless, conical electric problems.

I was happy when I sold it.

Tiger Retro with sidecar and yes it was road legal, Tiger is now closed I think.

ok thanks for sharing!...any idea if some other brand makes something more study and serious?..or perhaps to take a world class brand scooter say a honda, yamaha and get a road legal side car fixed?

Archived