Krabi laundry lady returns lost 200,000 Baht cash to foreign tourist

snoop1130

Krabi laundry lady returns lost 200,000 Baht cash to foreign tourist
Kwaang Siripoom

post-249866-0-37344200-1457447264_thumb.

KRABI:-- A woman who runs a laundry shop on Koh Phi Phi is being praised after returning 200,000 Baht in cash to a foreign tourist.

Ms Boonruen Sriraksa, 32, called tourist police officers are she found the cash in Euro, Dollar and Baht currencies in the pocket of a pair of shorts sent to her for washing.

Hearing of Boonruen’s honesty some neighbours posted about the incident on Facebook and the post has since gone viral.

Boonruen claimed she had no hesitation about handing over the money as it was not hers to keep. She said she often finds money and valuables in the clothes of customers but has never once kept any of it.

The foreign tourist was tracked down to a nearby hotel after staff saw the post on Facebook. Ms Boonruen’s husband was later able to return the money to the man.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-08

Why do people bring such large sums of cash when coming to Thailand? This isn't Vegas.

unreported income ( no tax)

And give it to the laundry.. it seems almost a kind of Freudian slip ..

Jokes apart, i dare to hope the honest workers were handsomely rewarded :)

Why do people bring such large sums of cash when coming to Thailand? This isn't Vegas.

And how can people be so careless?

200,000 baht is only about 5,700 USD. While that is not a trivial amount it is not a large amount either. I spend about $1500-$2,000 USD a month when there on vacation so I often bring about 4k or 5k when I am staying for 60 days. I prefer to not use my ATM card overseas unless necessary. But I assure you it doesn't make it into the laundry!

Does the average "tourist" usually have Baht, Euros and USD? I am from the USA so when I go to Thailand I have Baht and USD. It just seems a bit odd to have different types of currencies. Granted he could be traveling through or onward to Euro countries or countries that want USD

Does the average "tourist" usually have Baht, Euros and USD? I am from the USA so when I go to Thailand I have Baht and USD. It just seems a bit odd to have different types of currencies. Granted he could be traveling through or onward to Euro countries or countries that want USD

Yawn.

200,000 baht is only about 5,700 USD. While that is not a trivial amount it is not a large amount either. I spend about $1500-$2,000 USD a month when there on vacation so I often bring about 4k or 5k when I am staying for 60 days. I prefer to not use my ATM card overseas unless necessary. But I assure you it doesn't make it into the laundry!

It's a large amount for a Thai laundry lady. Good for her.

It's the smart way to do it, if I come for 2 weeks I bring AU$4000 which is 100,000 baht, it's not such a large amount if he were staying 4 weeks. Now foreign exchange in Thailand is far greater than if you use an ATM and withdraw from your foreign bank, they charge 200 baht just to use an ATM and for Aussie dollars the Thai money changers give 25 baht to the dollar where as a banks foreign currency rate is something like 22 baht in the dollar which means I lose 12,000 if I used an ATM over bringing in cash THEN ADD THE ATM FEES..

IT is stupid sending your money to the cleaners, that's what safes are for.

Go and join trump.

Why hand it over to police and track him down? He would have shown up anyway to collect his laundry.

He might not. He might have had no money to pay!! cheesy.gif Seriously, I do findit dificult to have this amount of money stuffed in shorts etc. Surely, you would keep this amount in a safe or something. Most weird!.

Archived