American Man Beaten To Death In Pattaya

thaimee

Report: American man found dead in Thai jail

PATTAYA: -- An American man was found dead in a Thai jail cell where he was being held for an alleged immigration offense, a newspaper reported Saturday.

Brian Dunn, 30, had been detained for overstaying his visa in the resort town of Pattaya southwest of the capital, Bangkok, The Nation newspaper reported, quoting police Lt. Col. Anan Thamchaikun.

Dunn was found dead with facial bruises over his cheekbones, the newspaper said. It didn't give the time or suspected cause of Dunn's death, his hometown, or his reason for being in Thailand.

Police were investigating the incident, the report said.

Police officials weren't immediately available for comment, and a U.S. Embassy spokesman said he was unable to confirm the incident.

Source: www.yahoo.co.th 2004-04-17

Edited by george

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunn was found dead with facial bruises over his cheekbones, the newspaper said. It didn't give the time or suspected cause of Dunn's death, his hometown, or his reason for being in Thailand.

Thai jail. Not a 5 star hotel, I reckon.

And if you are a farang,... :o

Maybe Chonburi Jail, maybe he was getting too mouthy with the Thai guys in there, lot of people have to sleep in a very confined space, maybe he was being a typical big mouth farang......................... in a thai jail, they just aint impressed

Pattaya Jail:

This is the first prisoner murdered since Felix Hartman in November 2002.

If the next of kin of the late Mr Dunn need help, call me, Chris Hill, HelpLine - 061-451-583.

American Embassy: U.S. Citizen Services.

Of all the foreign embassies based in Thailand, including the Arab, Iranian, Russian embassies (and HelpLine deals with them all) Americans in trouble are warned that USCS refuses to give them any assistance in Pattaya and compared to other Diplomatic Missions - nearly none in Bangkok.

I have found them consistently uncaring, breathtakingly slothful, arrogant.

Americans in trouble are advised to notify the Embassy - but for anything to be done, contact your local congressman or State Senator. Let them know that you have been advised the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is actively unhelpful.

If you really get in trouble you could try the Canadians - they ARE good.

Yours aye,

Chris Hill

Could have been suicide.... it is Pattaya isn't it?

Bash

Cant have been suicide, there were no condo's in the vacinity.

This is becoming a regular occurance, but like all the rest it will be quickly hushed up and the culprits NEVER convicted, after all this is Thacksins Thailand, and if he can authorise the killing of over 3000 alleged drug dealers what is one farang death???

:o

But as everyone knows,,Those people don't join the American consular services to help anyone or to work any more than is just enough to get by.

But they do get free paid memberships to all the golf and country clubs, free trips home and a new car imported every 2 years that they can sell at an inflated price because the import duty as well as the trips home and the club memberships are paid for by the American tax payer.as well as the very nice living accommodations they require. :o

He was probably overheard defending GWB's positions and suffered swift retribution... :D

My mate the Gent is away on a Jolly right now, I wouldn't be suprised if he had infiltrated the jail at night, slipped in and did the septic just for the fun of it.

Bash :o

Could have been suicide.... it is Pattaya isn't it?

Bash

Cant have been suicide, there were no condo's in the vacinity.

This is becoming a regular occurance, but like all the rest it will be quickly hushed up and the culprits NEVER convicted, after all this is Thacksins Thailand, and if he can authorise the killing of over 3000 alleged drug dealers what is one farang death???

:D

Ahh but he could have stood on the edge of the bed, closed his eyes, imagined the 16th floor and threw himslf roughly to the ground. Failing the 1st attempt he could have kept on repeating it up to 16 times until he sustained enough injuries to persuade a coroner to thinking it was just another jumper...

Or I could be talking crap of course.

Bash :o

Still a poxy,stinking,miserable,rotten way for anybody to end their life. :o

Jokes aside (suppose it reminds us all and makes things bearable)but theres no credit here to the U.S.Embassy (althought our comments might....??)and a big well done to Criss Hill whos name I keep seeing popping up all over the place by his helping a lot of unfortunate but seemingly otherwise innocent tourists who fall foul of ....I wont say the law but rather the system... in Pat. :D

Good on yer mate.

The American Embassy doesn't care about its citizens that get into trouble overseas because they think they're just dirt bags anyway and deserve to rot in jail. You could call this 'Compassionate Conservativism.'

I once lost my passport and went to get a new one there in Bangkok and was treated like a criminal throughout the entire procedure. At first I was afraid the pencil neck wouldn't even give me a new one. Then I threatened to call my Mommy.

It aint no joke..........

The facts are "there is no justice in the realm" When you can walk into a pub and blow a policemans brains out and be witnessed by around thirty something persons as in the case of out beloved Duangchalerm and then walk away with a Baht 1,000.00 fine for some obscure offence what chance can an expat particularly a caucasian one reasonable expect to have.

Speaking of the above case the forum has been mysteriously quiet on that one. !!??

Just a thought. Is it possible that the radical muslim influence is infiltrating/has infiltrated the police force? I am confused at the what seems to be progressive anti farang mentality in Thailand.

Is this something deeper or just business as usual?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't want to go to the bear pit as I have visited it and it was not for me.

However, here in San Diego I have spoken with several Thai Bhuddist monks who said that,and I quote, "I hate Taksin."

I said, "Hate Prajan?"

Their motivation seems to be based primarily on the fact that Taksin has authorized the opening of several "Muslim" banks throughout Thailand but refused to authorize "Bhuddist" banks. They call him a communist.

Anyone familiar with this?

the som tum lady told me that every farang should carry in their wallet the name of a negotiator

these people work just a little bit out side of the law - however they do work for law firms

they negotiate the settlement (before it escalates out of control) and the fees to be paid

the fees can be paid off over time

its worth it

however many loud mouths stand their ground on ammendments that dont exist in this country

as she pounded in the chilies she said be thai, shut up, pay the fees, live long and prosper Spock

:o