Thinking of moving from Khon Kaen

Kenny202

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all. So what's the verdict on the heat? What is a hot day there? What is the general day time temp middle summer and how cool would it get night time?

You can choose your favorite weather app for temperature information but generally they are saying high 38 and low 21. Cloud cover and wind affects how it all feels but we don’t have any local knowledge which differs from the online weather sites. Chiang Mai is usually three or four degrees hotter than Chiang Rai.

I have heard I would have trouble eating n Chiang Rai.Khon Kaen not A problem.Plenty of my kind of food.I don't eat Thai.

I hear that Chiang Rai not much happening there.Maybe you should take A week or 2 to check it out 1st.

I have heard I would have trouble eating n Chiang Rai.Khon Kaen not A problem.Plenty of my kind of food.I don't eat Thai.

I hear that Chiang Rai not much happening there.Maybe you should take A week or 2 to check it out 1st.

I'll definitely spend at least a few weeks there before I commit. Food not a drama for me. Like most Thai food and local ingredients are amazing for cooking my own farang food when the urge occurs

Chiang Rai has a smaller night bazaar than does Chiang Mai. It's quieter and not as contested as CM is these days. They started building condo's in CR a few years ago which seem to be more expensive than Chiang Mai for the same sqm in size.

The last time I checked you could still get an apartment for about $7-8k baht per month. I'm sure there are places even less inexpensive. When I visit Chiang Rai I like to stay at the Laluna Resort.

You should be able to find a company that can transport your belongings. You can also check to see if there are any buses that make a direct route from KK to CR or even CM. All sorts of things are transported by bus and I think the prices are fair.

Good luck

Khon Kaen is definitely hot but one learns to get up early and do things while it is still somewhat cool and then stay out of the heat. However ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBr3rosvNQ

yeah we do that. Up early, go to the markets...do anything needs doing at home. Pretty horrible after 11. I hate locking myself in the air con and you can only go to the malls so many times.

Such problems in Khon Kaen. I am sure if you move to Chiang Rai from Khon Kaen you will no longer have any such problems.

I was also thinking of moving from Isaan, Kalasin to C Rai. I went there in September to have a look.

No flights from C Mai to C Rai. The bus is about 3.5 hours. I thought that it was a little too far from everything and worried about the smoke from fires later in the season.

It has changed a lot in 40 years.

I decided on Bang Saen in Chonburi, beach instead of mountains and close to everything. I moved last week.

Sent everything by Post, received all packages, had motorcycle delivered in less than 24 hours, it arrived before me $2,500 Baht the post office wanted 2,300 Baht.

From a tourists perspective, Chang Rai is better, simple as that.

Thank you. When I next become a tourist I'll keep that in mind.
Don't be a dick JL :-(

That's OK. Maybe when you move to Chinag Rai you can live in a house, in a field, in a valley with a view, too.

If by “not much happening there” you mean we don’t have the kind of nightlife you are into, then I think most of us consider that a big positive. As for food, we do have McDonald’s if that is what you are into or Top’s supermarket if you prefer your own cooking. I can’t imagine anyone having trouble eating in Chiang Rai.

From a tourists perspective, Chiang Rai is better, simple as that.

Thank you. When I next become a tourist I'll keep that in mind.
Don't be a dick JL :-(

That's OK. Maybe when you move to Chiang Rai you can live in a house, in a field, in a valley with a view, too.

Thanks for the heartfelt promotional.tongue.png

From the screenplay for American Graffiti:

JOE: (to Curt) I know what you'd like more than anything right now. Like every guy in town, you got the same secret dream, right?

(Curt nods.)

JOE Ya want to join the Pharoahs. Huh? You can admit it--you'd like to--but you never dreamed it could be possible, did you?

On ThaiVisa 'every guy in town' wants to live in a house with a view ... of the mountains .. of the Gulf or the Sea. Some are lucky to live that dream. Others could not care less.

I like living in Khon Kaen. Not everyone would or should like living in Khon Kaen. Some of the problems incurred in living in Khon Kaen can be fixed or at least ameliorated by moving somewhere else and some of the problems one just takes along with one's self wherever one may go.

I like living in Khon Kaen. Not everyone would or should like living in Khon Kaen. Some of the problems incurred in living in Khon Kaen can be fixed or at least ameliorated by moving somewhere else and some of the problems one just takes along with one's self wherever one may go.

I actually love Khon Kaen. Lovely city, really nice people, always have some festival on, live music, fabulous markets...Not much different to living in a farang city really. Even the traffics not too bad and I reckon would be great for business. And don't get me started on the beautiful women! If I worked here would probably be perfect for me but I need to fill my days and for me I like natural stuff bush, waterfalls, mountains etc. Not just Khon Khan....other areas in Isaan these next few months just too hot....debilitatingly so in the day time. If I had a day job or work from home thing wouldn't care so much

When I used to live in rural Florida long before living in Thailand, I used to say:

If you don't bring it, it ain't there

you've started drinking whiskey for breakfast again :-(

My first extended stays before moving to Khon Kaen were as a skilled volunteer (with US Government certification) at a large Thai NGO under Patronage of HM The King. I did not move to Khon Kaen and then start looking for things to do.

But as I guess. as you can see from this topic, in Chiang Rai, as opposed to KK, there is a farang contingent who will come on to tell you what a wonderful place it is.

When I used to live in rural Florida long before living in Thailand, I used to say:

If you don't bring it, it ain't there

you've started drinking whiskey for breakfast again :-(

My first extended stays before moving to Khon Kaen were as a skilled volunteer (with US Government certification) at a large Thai NGO under Patronage of HM The King. I did not move to Khon Kaen and then start looking for things to do.

But as I guess. as you can see from this topic, in Chiang Rai, as opposed to KK, there is a farang contingent who will come on to tell you what a wonderful place it is.

Still not seeing your point old mate? Not bagging Khon Kaen...its the heat I hate. In any case probably here for at least another year. I liken Khon Kaen to say Sydney. Great place to work and live. Not such a great place to retire.

... and you've started just how many topics about what-to-do in addition to this one?

I realize KK doesn't have mountains, waterfalls, or scenic vistas but with 3 large universities in the neighborhood, this is what my typical scenery entails:

l9738055769_c2e1793c8c_o.png

I have never been to Chang Rai but I have been to Chiang Mai about 5 times since moving full-time to KK when friends from US were visiting in Thailand and staying in CNX. When the folks in Chiang Mai would ask me, where do I live in Thailand, I would say KK.

They would say: EE-WWW why would you want to live there?

I wonder ..is any public-transports in CR-city? .. Baht-buses or something?

To take advantage of the beautiful countryside it is advisable to have your own transportation but there is some public-transport. We are a small town so there is not the kind of public-transport you might find in a big city. You can walk or ride a bike around the city center or call for a taxi if you need to go a little further.

Believe it or not, Chiang Rai has big universities too. We also have many projects under "patronage" but we don't boast of such things in these parts. We also have our fair share of dirt old men.tongue.png

I ain't boasting about the NGO Under Royal Patronage -- I WORKED there almost a year over 3 separate visits. ... and the big universities I am talking about are all within 1 km of my house -- sometimes I ride with the co-eds on the Songtaew which you don't have out there in the beautiful countryside.

Believe it or not, Chiang Rai has big universities too. We also have many projects under "patronage" but we don't boast of such things in these parts. We also have our fair share of dirt old men.tongue.png

I ain't boasting about the NGO Under Royal Patronage -- I WORKED there almost a year over 3 separate visits. ... and the big universities I am talking about are all within 1 km of my house -- sometimes I ride with the co-eds on the Songtaew which you don't have out there in the beautiful countryside.

I never said you did, I only mentioned that we don’t. You do repeat that line quite often, however, so it might be easier to put in you signature at the bottom of each post to save having to type it so often.

Archived