- Teenage Slang Thread - ภาษาวัยรุ่น - Gek Lor

Briggsy

Often my students, my colleagues and my girlfriend use new terms that have not yet made it to the dictionary. A new one is "gek lor" เก็กหล่อ? I think it may mean something like narcissistic. Can anyone shed any light?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

เก็ก

means to show off a bit , to put on airs and graces and to pose.

ive seen it coupled with ท่า and the meaning is much the same

so i suppose coupled with หล่อ , meaning handsome it slightly alters the meaning but not much.

its still a slightly sarcastic and disparaging remark , but i quite like it. :o

Edited by taxexile

เก็ก

means to show off a bit , to put on airs and graces and to pose.

ive seen it coupled with ท่า and the meaning is much the same

so i suppose coupled with หล่อ , meaning handsome it slightly alters the meaning but not much.

its still a slightly sarcastic and disparaging remark , but i quite like it. :o

Thanks, this helps me. It certainly tallies with the context. I didn't know the word "gek" could be used in conjuction with other words.

Maybe there should be a thread for this kind of ภาษาวัยรุ่น!

There may be some slang spelling I don't know about, but the proper spelling of the word is เก๊ก, not เก็ก.

Even Thais often mix up "เลขเจ็ด" and "เลขแปด" so this is probably a common (if not intentional) misspelling.

เก๊ก means "to pose" and is in most dictionaries including RID, and seems to usually carry the connotation of posing as something you're not, or else trying hard to appear a certain way. So เก๊กท่า would be something like "strike a pose," and เก๊กหล่อ means to try to make yourself look handsome (also เก๊กสวย for gals), as in for a picture, but also keeping up that appearance *as if* your picture were about to be taken at any time. At least, that's how I think of it.

Not sure how new it is, this was one of the very first "slang" words I learned more than four years ago now. It was something people would say to tease each other when posing for pictures, particularly when folks strike the classic Thai humorous "handsome" pose of making a V with thumb-and-forefinger and framing one's chin with it (as can be seen in this image or this image I found by googling เก๊ก).

Also, great thread idea!

Edited by Rikker

As per one of my modern dictionaries เก๊ก is also a slang expressions for jilting a lover and in this respect the gals might have possibly meant to get rid of a handsome (boyfriend).

Surely hard to make the right guess particularly in terms of slang expressions if you have got just a couple of words out of context.

Cheers,

Richard :o

Edited by Richard Hall

Ok here's another one that's probably not in any dictionaries. เงาะ i.e. a rambutan to describe a person. It may mean a person who is not good-looking but has a good heart, like a rambutan, not pretty on the outside but beautiful within. Can anyone confirm my dodgy understanding?

Ok here's another one that's probably not in any dictionaries. เงาะ i.e. a rambutan to describe a person. It may mean a person who is not good-looking but has a good heart, like a rambutan, not pretty on the outside but beautiful within. Can anyone confirm my dodgy understanding?

Yes that is correct. The correct way of saying it though is เงาะปา

Your explanation is perfect. Not much to look at but has a good caring heart.

In The Rai!

Yes that is correct. The correct way of saying it though is เงาะปา

Your explanation is perfect. Not much to look at but has a good caring heart.

In The Rai!

Thanks up there "In the Rai". As with all "food", the proof is in the eating, so I shall attempt to slip this new word for me into conversation and keenly observe the effect it has. Hopefully, not a swift right hook!

On a new topic, does anybody use the phrase ผีทะเล phee thalay? If so, with whom and under what circumstances?

The correct way of saying it though is เงาะปา

I wasn't familiar with this slang prior to now, but I think you mean เงาะป่า.

And this isn't exactly the meaning Briggsy said, but for comparison, here's the relevant portion of the entry under เงาะ from the Royal Institute dictionary:

เงาะ น. คนป่าพวกหนึ่ง รูปร่างต่ำเตี้ย ตัวดำ ผมหยิก ในตระกูลนิกริโต (Negrito) อยู่ในแหลมมลายู เรียกตัวเองว่า กอย ได้แก่พวกเซมัง และซาไกหรือเซนอย, โดยปริยายเรียกคนที่มีรูปร่างเช่นนั้น.

And from Matichon:

เงาะ น. ชนเผ่าซาไก หรือเผ่าเซมัง ตัวเตี้ย ผิวดำ ผมหยิก อยู่ทางภาคใต้และแหลมมลายู, โดยเปรียบเทียบเรียกคนที่มีรูปร่างเช่นนั้น

เงาะป่า น. เรียกชาวซาไกทางตอนใต้ของไทย

So เงาะ is used to refer to the Sakai or Semang (Negrito) people, though I'm not sure if that's pejorative or not. From what I can find, the name for the ethnic groups derives (at least partially) from their curly hair, which is equated with the skin of the rambutan fruit.

RID (and Matichon, which is cribbing from RID) claims the further usage is an extension of the name for the ethnic groups, used to refer to people with looks similar to that of the Negritos. I wonder if that's the case, since the Negritos--short, dark skinned, and with kinky hair--are pretty much the antithesis of the Thai idea of beauty.

That people use it to mean "ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside" is interesting, considering that it's also a nickname for these ethnic minority groups.

The correct way of saying it though is เงาะปา

I wasn't familiar with this slang prior to now, but I think you mean เงาะป่า.

And this isn't exactly the meaning Briggsy said, but for comparison, here's the relevant portion of the entry under เงาะ from the Royal Institute dictionary:

เงาะ น. คนป่าพวกหนึ่ง รูปร่างต่ำเตี้ย ตัวดำ ผมหยิก ในตระกูลนิกริโต (Negrito) อยู่ในแหลมมลายู เรียกตัวเองว่า กอย ได้แก่พวกเซมัง และซาไกหรือเซนอย, โดยปริยายเรียกคนที่มีรูปร่างเช่นนั้น.

And from Matichon:

เงาะ น. ชนเผ่าซาไก หรือเผ่าเซมัง ตัวเตี้ย ผิวดำ ผมหยิก อยู่ทางภาคใต้และแหลมมลายู, โดยเปรียบเทียบเรียกคนที่มีรูปร่างเช่นนั้น

เงาะป่า น. เรียกชาวซาไกทางตอนใต้ของไทย

So เงาะ is used to refer to the Sakai or Semang (Negrito) people, though I'm not sure if that's pejorative or not. From what I can find, the name for the ethnic groups derives (at least partially) from their curly hair, which is equated with the skin of the rambutan fruit.

RID (and Matichon, which is cribbing from RID) claims the further usage is an extension of the name for the ethnic groups, used to refer to people with looks similar to that of the Negritos. I wonder if that's the case, since the Negritos--short, dark skinned, and with kinky hair--are pretty much the antithesis of the Thai idea of beauty.

That people use it to mean "ugly on the outside, beautiful on the inside" is interesting, considering that it's also a nickname for these ethnic minority groups.

Thanks Rikker,

I forgot the ไม้เอก again. Slippery little buggers arent they!

I didnt know of the literal meaning. I have only ever used it in the context Briggsy said it.

In The Rai!

Edited by In the Rai!

Well, the literal meaning would be from the fruit, so if RID is right, the order of origin went fruit > ethnicity > ugly ducklings, but from what I know of their methodology, that's probably an educated guess.

This sort of thing is best based on an examination of citations of historical usage ala the OED, but no project like that has ever been done for Thai. Not yet, anyway. Give me a few decades.

One rather old and important instance that I know off the top of my head is a play called เงาะป่า written by Rama V in 1906 (it's on my bookshelf, though I haven't read it yet) . It's a story about a love triangle between three Sakai people, a woman and two men, and it's regarded as a classic piece of Thai literature. I wonder if there's any sense of the meaning of something good hidden beneath a rough surface here. Seems kinda hard to believe it wouldn't, so even that might very well be an old sense. I'll have to read the book and find out. Interesting!

Edited by Rikker

You're certainly welcome, and if you don't mind that it's a slightly older version, you can access the RID online from their website royin.go.th.

Also, regarding เงง, it's been explained to me that it comes from combining งง and เซ็ง, both the feelings and the words, so the explanation mentioned fits well. I haven't run into it much, though. I'll be happy to hear it in a natural context one of these days.

Edited by Rikker

Also, regarding เงง, it's been explained to me that it comes from combining งง and เซ็ง, both the feelings and the words, so the explanation mentioned fits well. I haven't run into it much, though. I'll be happy to hear it in a natural context one of these days.
I hear it quite often: Someone is telling a story/occurence he/she don't accept/understand and at the end, as a single statement, comes the "เงง", maybe similar to the English "gosh!"

Prassa Cartoon :o

If the OP was referring to "Gik or Gig" I'm not sure how to write it in Thai, this doesn't mean what has been posted here. This term refers to what in English we call a <deleted> buddy. Or someone you're primarily interested in for sexual reasons.

If the OP was referring to "Gik or Gig" I'm not sure how to write it in Thai, this doesn't mean what has been posted here. This term refers to what in English we call a <deleted> buddy. Or someone you're primarily interested in for sexual reasons.

Wasabi,

I think you will find that กิ๊ก means more like casual girlfriend or boyfriend or maybe an intimate friend. Not <deleted> buddy. I am sure if you smiled cheekishly when saying it you could portray that message.

คู่นอน means lover in Thai or the literal translation would be sex partner.

I hope this helps!

In The Rai!

The debate on กิ๊ก can go for pages and pages--some of us have been through it before. :o

From as best as I can gather, it depends on your lifestyle and social circle. For the segment of Thai society that has followed the undeniable worldwide trend toward open sexuality and even promiscuity, it appears that a กิ๊ก almost always means a sex partner, and often "a piece on the side" from one's spouse or significant other, as some have termed it.

But whenever I've seen someone try to define it as wasabi has above, there are always those who protest that it doesn't necessarily include sex, although it tends to head in that direction. Maybe it's physical but not to the point of sex, and "<deleted> buddy" sounds vulgar no matter how you slice it, whereas กิ๊ก is not a vulgar word in Thai. "Friends with benefits" or "special friend" might be more neutral renderings.

One definition I've seen used around is มากกว่าเพื่อน แต่ไม่ใช่แฟน. The word most likely is shortened from กุ๊กกิ๊ก, and has nothing to with groupies performing sexual favors for musicians at gigs, as is suggested by some.

Here's an example of กิ๊ก I pulled off one web board:

เราเป็นคนนึ่งที่เกลียดกิ๊ก เพราะแฟนเราไปมีกิ๊ก จนมีอะไรกัน

"I, for one, hate kiks, because my boyfriend went and had a kik, to the point that they had sex."

So as this girl uses it, the กิ๊ก was had first, and eventually it progressed to sex. That's from a post back in 2004.

I hope I'm not going to turn this into 10 pages of discussion about กิ๊ก, though. Just trying to defuse it before it starts. :D

Edited by Rikker

The debate on กิ๊ก can go for pages and pages--some of us have been through it before. :o

From as best as I can gather, it depends on your lifestyle and social circle. For the segment of Thai society that has followed the undeniable worldwide trend toward open sexuality and even promiscuity, it appears that a กิ๊ก almost always means a sex partner, and often "a piece on the side" from one's spouse or significant other, as some have termed it.

But whenever I've seen someone try to define it as wasabi has above, there are always those who protest that it doesn't necessarily include sex, although it tends to head in that direction. Maybe it's physical but not to the point of sex, and "<deleted> buddy" sounds vulgar no matter how you slice it, whereas กิ๊ก is not a vulgar word in Thai. "Friends with benefits" or "special friend" might be more neutral renderings.

One definition I've seen used around is มากกว่าเพื่อน แต่ไม่ใช่แฟน. The word most likely is shortened from กุ๊กกิ๊ก, and has nothing to with groupies performing sexual favors for musicians at gigs, as is suggested by some.

Here's an example of กิ๊ก I pulled off one web board:

เราเป็นคนนึ่งที่เกลียดกิ๊ก เพราะแฟนเราไปมีกิ๊ก จนมีอะไรกัน

"I, for one, hate kiks, because my boyfriend went and had a kik, to the point that they had sex."

So as this girl uses it, the กิ๊ก was had first, and eventually it progressed to sex. That's from a post back in 2004.

I hope I'm not going to turn this into 10 pages of discussion about กิ๊ก, though. Just trying to defuse it before it starts. :D

I depends, like all things in life, on the context I guess.

I had a former co-worker/friend who used to ask me all sorts of very basic questions about boys. She was pretty innocent, outgoing, but not a floozy.

Anyway, after an extended time away from Thailand working in the UK, I caught up with my friend over th phone, asking her about the current boy situation.

She replied to me that she had a few gigs here and there, but still no boyfriend. I took that simply to mean that she had been on a few dates/had some close male friends, but with no luck in converting any of them into a boyfriends. Given her background, unless she became ultra liberated in the 18 months we hadn't spoken, I take it as Friends with potential (unrealised though it may be). Buy again, in this case, context played a key role in my interpretation.

I was reluctant to post that definition because I had a sense it could offend some. It may sometimes have a more tame definition but the Thai people I have talked to said any tame overtones from the word are merely euphemisms for the real albeit more vulgar definition. This is only what I've heard from a small section of people so naturally it could be wrong.

I was reluctant to post that definition because I had a sense it could offend some. It may sometimes have a more tame definition but the Thai people I have talked to said any tame overtones from the word are merely euphemisms for the real albeit more vulgar definition. This is only what I've heard from a small section of people so naturally it could be wrong.

Wasabi,

dont worry about offending. (me anyway) I think its great that your posting what you think. After reading everyones contributions I am sometimes opened up to the different ways words can be used or portrayed. I have learnt so much from this site purely from the fact that all the farang on this site have different interperatations on words. Keep em coming.

In The Rai!

• 2 weeks later...

Without trying to reignite this topic, just want to add my 2 cents. I have rarely heard the term กิ๊ก mentioned on the tv serials (ah, my wife watches them alot :o ), and on the rare occasions when I have heard it, the term was used derogatively. Eg. มากับกิ๊กหรือ - said by a disgruntled looking guy who pops into his ex-girlfriend walking arm in arm with another guy. So my understanding is that in Thailand it is not a socially accepted thing to be a kik (or be seen with one), but it's alright to use the word in public (it ain't a dirty word).

Anyway, to change the topic, I heard the following sentence on a tv ad once: "โดนอำอีกแล้วนะ". Which translates (literally) to something like: "(You) have been teased again, ok". Or in Thai: "ล้อเล่นหน่า".

I guess you could translate it as: "Got you again!", or "You've just been had, again!".

The slang word here is อำ = to tease. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard this word in the sense to lie or fib about an issue with intent to deceive. The sense you're describing is new to me, but it seems to me they're pretty obviously semantically connected.

Also, I just did a quick check in RID and it has both senses:

ก. ปิดบัง, ปกปิด

ก. (ปาก) พูดหลอกเพื่อใ้ห้ตกใจหรือขบขันเป็นต้น, พูดดักคอ

The well-known writer วินทร์ เลียววาริณ has (or had.. not sure if he still writes it) a column in มติชนสุดสัปดาห์ called [ ำ] (without the อ), and though I never knew it, now that you've pointed out this other meaning, it seems pretty clear to me that it's meant to imply both senses in a playful way. I have a compilation of articles from the column in a book also titled [ ำ].

The first page of the book says:

คำเตือน: ทุกสิ่งในหนังสือเล่มนี้เป็นความเท็จ

(Warning: Everything in this book is false)

The second page of the books says:

แก้ไขคำผิดหน้าก่อน: ทุกสิ่งในหนังสือเล่มนี้เป็นความจริงทั้งสิ้น

(Correction from the previous page: Everything in this book is entirely true)

I've always liked Win's sense of humor and visual style. His books are entertaining and often also visually beautiful. :o

I've heard this word in the sense to lie or fib about an issue with intent to deceive. The sense you're describing is new to me, but it seems to me they're pretty obviously semantically connected.

Also, I just did a quick check in RID and it has both senses:

ก. ปิดบัง, ปกปิด

ก. (ปาก) พูดหลอกเพื่อใ้ห้ตกใจหรือขบขันเป็นต้น, พูดดักคอ

The well-known writer วินทร์ เลียววาริณ has (or had.. not sure if he still writes it) a column in มติชนสุดสัปดาห์ called [ ำ] (without the อ), and though I never knew it, now that you've pointed out this other meaning, it seems pretty clear to me that it's meant to imply both senses in a playful way. I have a compilation of articles from the column in a book also titled [ ำ].

The first page of the book says:

คำเตือน: ทุกสิ่งในหนังสือเล่มนี้เป็นความเท็จ

(Warning: Everything in this book is false)

The second page of the books says:

แก้ไขคำผิดหน้าก่อน: ทุกสิ่งในหนังสือเล่มนี้เป็นความจริงทั้งสิ้น

(Correction from the previous page: Everything in this book is entirely true)

I've always liked Win's sense of humor and visual style. His books are entertaining and often also visually beautiful. :o

Rikker,

these books sound quite interesting. Can you get them at any bookstore?

Cheers

In The Rai!