Potato Chip addiction... Alternative snack suggestions

BookMan

Since a young fella I have had a appetite for potato chips

I fondly remember eating through many packs of Salt n Vinegar, Tomato Sauce flavour, Chicken, and plain old potato.

These days there are all sorts of flavours. I saw Honey and Butter flavour in BIg C week. Of course there are brands available form all over the world at Tops/Villa/Big C so the temptation to sample has been even greater.

The problem is , whatever I open, i tend to finish, irrelevant of package size

I even started buying the 11 gram x ten packs that are for school kids.. That worked a bit, as i would eat less, maybe opening 2-3 packs only in a sitting.

But, I want to find alternate nibbling suggestions.

My best , so far, is the small fingertip size tomatoes u can find everywhere here. I love tomatoes and they seem to do the trick for now

Anyone have other suggestions?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop snacking ?

Keep a diary which details exactly what is consumed on a daily basis and then ask the question -----"Why am I obese" ?

Answer will be found in the diary which if maintained honestly will reveal evidence of gluttony.

Stop snacking ?

Keep a diary which details exactly what is consumed on a daily basis and then ask the question -----"Why am I obese" ?

Answer will be found in the diary which if maintained honestly will reveal evidence of gluttony.

Your reading and comprehension abilities are very very poor

The question is:

I want to find alternate nibbling suggestions

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

Peanuts, Cashew nuts or similar.

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

They are much healthier but at least as full of calories.. not really a good substitute if its about weight loss. If its just about health they are.

For me an apple often helps as they fill me up quite well.

Most of us tend to focus on one particular food as the problem, but it's not: overeating is the issue, and it's a big issue on this forum. I'm left wondering just how many people have a disorder and just try to disguise it with any amount of wacky food fads which appear to be grappling with the problem, but don't deal with the real issue.

OP on the other hand appears to be going about things in the right way.

No real worries on this one as potato chips are actually quite healthy, though sodium content may be an issue for some. I too feel compelled to demolish whatever I buy.

How about looking for a healthier brand, and, as already suggested, maybe supplement with peanuts, cashews, etc.

No point giving up good food.

By all means switch to fruit snacks, and it's best to eat at least a couple of pieces a day anyway, but they are not really a substitute for chips.

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

That's my go-to snack right now. I enjoy the Salted Cocktail Nuts by Tong Garden. I buy the small 40g packs and add some dried fruit such as raisins. I know, raw nuts are healthier, but I enjoy the roasted ones more and I believe snacks should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Contrary to the opinion of some members, I believe you can lose fat if you control your hunger with small snacks, but the key is small and you need to discipline yourself to just one serve. You'll never get anywhere if you can't discipline yourself.

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

That's my go-to snack right now. I enjoy the Salted Cocktail Nuts by Tong Garden. I buy the small 40g packs and add some dried fruit such as raisins. I know, raw nuts are healthier, but I enjoy the roasted ones more and I believe snacks should be a pleasure, not a chore.

Contrary to the opinion of some members, I believe you can lose fat if you control your hunger with small snacks, but the key is small and you need to discipline yourself to just one serve. You'll never get anywhere if you can't discipline yourself.

"I believe you can lose fat if you control your hunger with small snacks, but the key is small and you need to discipline yourself to just one serve."

How many "serves" a day?

So probably obese???? And high blood pressure? Anyway it's good to stay away from those kinds of snacks just for health reason's. Because of salt and flavor enhancers you can't stop. That's what it should be..... Change to fruits or veggies . Btw I don't think these 11g bags are made for School Kids?????!!!

So probably obese???? And high blood pressure? Anyway it's good to stay away from those kinds of snacks just for health reason's. Because of salt and flavor enhancers you can't stop. That's what it should be..... Change to fruits or veggies . Btw I don't think these 11g bags are made for School Kids?????!!!

11g is about 6 chips... targetted towards kids for snacks from their parents

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

i dont mind the tong selection... i go the small bag sometimes

"I believe you can lose fat if you control your hunger with small snacks, but the key is small and you need to discipline yourself to just one serve."

How many "serves" a day?

I only have one of these a day, although on the odd occasion I've had 2. If they take the place of a full meal, that's calories saved and nuts are quite satisfying. I used to buy raw cashews, but seeing insects crawling around in some packets put me off.

Try Mamma Noodles uncooked! their tasty crunchy,filling ,cheap and every thing a snack should be!

i disagree. A good snack should have some nutritional value. I doubt, apart from macronutrients fat and carbs, there's anything of value in Mamma Noodles and probably quite a load of unhealthy chemicals in there too.

I suppose snacks by definition tend to be less healthy. You can't replace them with 'good' food- not that good food is so very good or bad food so very bad.. OP has the right idea, you just try to upgrade them a bit, and cut down when necessary. No need to get all 'foodie' or turn in to a nutty professor.

Air popped popcorn, add a bit of butter.

I actually make it in the microwave using the outer part of a microwave rice cooker. Just remove ceramic isert thow in a dash of oil and crn, wave for 4 mins.

I accidentally discovered some home made crispy snacks that actually taste good and are easy to make.

I use a "Halogen Oven", sometimes called a "Turbo Oven", sold at most local department stores: B1000-B1500

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=halogen+oven&biw=1093&bih=514&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyv6yFmcfLAhVQGI4KHdPBDtcQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=GQ_Yum_o1GN7PM%3A

I take leafy, green vegetables such as Kale (Ka Nah locally), Bok Choi or Spinach, give it a light spray of olive oil from a spray can and roast it in the oven on high heat, near the top element for about 8-10 minutes, checking frequently. The leaves crisp up and seem to have enough natural salt content to be very tasty and satisfying. They do need to be eaten quite soon. Moist air makes them soggy pretty quickly.

A few months ago, the New York Times had a recipe for roasted cauliflower that looked simple and intriguing. I used to hate the stuff but have recently found it to be tastier than I remembered. In this recipe, you just spray on a touch of olive oil and roast the entire head at about 400f (200c) for about 30 minutes. place it on the bottom of the pot or a lower oven rack, away from the heat source. It should turn a nice golden brown and is delicious served hot with a meal or cooled and the florets eaten as a snack.

I have been experimenting with potato sticks; whole potato cut into very thin strips...like wooden matches. I have found that they first need to be washed in water, then plunged into boiling water for a minute or 2, then into ice water, cooling them quickly. Then drained and onto a kitchen towel and patted very dry. I spread them evenly on a round mesh rack in my roaster, close to the heat and cook them on high for 5 to 10 minutes. tasty even without added salt.

I accidentally discovered some home made crispy snacks that actually taste good and are easy to make.

I use a "Halogen Oven", sometimes called a "Turbo Oven", sold at most local department stores: B1000-B1500

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=halogen+oven&biw=1093&bih=514&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyv6yFmcfLAhVQGI4KHdPBDtcQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=GQ_Yum_o1GN7PM%3A

I take leafy, green vegetables such as Kale (Ka Nah locally), Bok Choi or Spinach, give it a light spray of olive oil from a spray can and roast it in the oven on high heat, near the top element for about 8-10 minutes, checking frequently. The leaves crisp up and seem to have enough natural salt content to be very tasty and satisfying. They do need to be eaten quite soon. Moist air makes them soggy pretty quickly.

A few months ago, the New York Times had a recipe for roasted cauliflower that looked simple and intriguing. I used to hate the stuff but have recently found it to be tastier than I remembered. In this recipe, you just spray on a touch of olive oil and roast the entire head at about 400f (200c) for about 30 minutes. place it on the bottom of the pot or a lower oven rack, away from the heat source. It should turn a nice golden brown and is delicious served hot with a meal or cooled and the florets eaten as a snack.

I have been experimenting with potato sticks; whole potato cut into very thin strips...like wooden matches. I have found that they first need to be washed in water, then plunged into boiling water for a minute or 2, then into ice water, cooling them quickly. Then drained and onto a kitchen towel and patted very dry. I spread them evenly on a round mesh rack in my roaster, close to the heat and cook them on high for 5 to 10 minutes. tasty even without added salt.

The green leaf vegetables sound interesting

Pattaya- the royal project shop in central has a mighty addictive selection of chips made from tapioca i think....comes in seaweed and couple of other flavors....small servings too.

And very tasty....definitely not as oily as potato chips.

Amazing ! 2 PAGES of detailed instruction on how eat continuously !

Those who are FAT need to reduce intake, exercise and stop snacking !

What is it to you ?

It should be sustainable and we all have different appetites they are partly controlled by hormones. Not giving this as an excuse but an explanation why its not the same for everyone. Though if we are talking about truly obese people I agree, being 10 kg overweight.. sure people with bad genes compared to people with good genes eating the same. But if more than that it really is partly own fault.

But its better to find a sustainable solution then to say reduce.. as that is often not sustainable.. if you change your diet it should be something that can be done forever.

I am now quite lean and muscular, but I was not always like that, and it takes effort. However I have learned that changes in diet that are too extreme too fast usually can't be maintained. Its better to slowly work towards a better diet.

Amazing ! 2 PAGES of detailed instruction on how eat continuously !

Those who are FAT need to reduce intake, exercise and stop snacking !

What is it to you ?

It should be sustainable and we all have different appetites they are partly controlled by hormones. Not giving this as an excuse but an explanation why its not the same for everyone. Though if we are talking about truly obese people I agree, being 10 kg overweight.. sure people with bad genes compared to people with good genes eating the same. But if more as that it really is partly own fault.

But its better to find a sustainable solution then to say reduce.. as that is often not sustainable.. if you change your diet it should be something that can be done forever.

I am now quite lean and muscular, but I was not always like that, and it takes effort. However I have learned that changes in diet that are to extreme too fast usually can't be maintained. Its better to slowly work towards a better diet.

I am pleased you escaped the trap of gluttony.

The many and varied reasons which used to justify being FAT and Gluttonous are just excuses !

Remove the intake and weight loss will follow !

Archived