Potato Chip addiction... Alternative snack suggestions

BookMan

Amazing ! 2 PAGES of detailed instruction on how eat continuously !

Those who are FAT need to reduce intake, exercise and stop snacking !

What is it to you ?

It should be sustainable and we all have different appetites they are partly controlled by hormones. Not giving this as an excuse but an explanation why its not the same for everyone. Though if we are talking about truly obese people I agree, being 10 kg overweight.. sure people with bad genes compared to people with good genes eating the same. But if more as that it really is partly own fault.

But its better to find a sustainable solution then to say reduce.. as that is often not sustainable.. if you change your diet it should be something that can be done forever.

I am now quite lean and muscular, but I was not always like that, and it takes effort. However I have learned that changes in diet that are to extreme too fast usually can't be maintained. Its better to slowly work towards a better diet.

I am pleased you escaped the trap of gluttony.

The many and varied reasons which used to justify being FAT and Gluttonous are just excuses !

Remove the intake and weight loss will follow !

No gluttony trap for me, just slow metabolism. Some people have bad genes others have not. It can differ quite a bit what people are burning. Even now with me being 88-89 kg at 180cm with bodyfat of around 10% I don't burn much as much as other people. I go to the gym 4 times a week and workout hard. Got the muscles to prove it, still some that are smaller as me can eat more without worries.

You cant lump up everyone, there are quite some differences in metabolic rate. Also there are differences in appetite some will never be full, i can easily eat 2 plates instead of 1 and still eat more. This again is controlled by by hormones. Much research has been done and it explains why its not easy for everyone. I liked the BBC series on it where they were force feeding skinny people, there was even one that could not gain weight but got muscle.. his body started to burn more. Not everyone gained the same weight. Also an other episode they showed how different kids responded to food.. like how some would go on eating when food was presented and others would not. Enlightening.

But i still stand with my opinion that 10 kg overweight can be caused by genes and hormones working against you. However if its more than that your to blame yourself too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it to you ?

It should be sustainable and we all have different appetites they are partly controlled by hormones. Not giving this as an excuse but an explanation why its not the same for everyone. Though if we are talking about truly obese people I agree, being 10 kg overweight.. sure people with bad genes compared to people with good genes eating the same. But if more as that it really is partly own fault.

But its better to find a sustainable solution then to say reduce.. as that is often not sustainable.. if you change your diet it should be something that can be done forever.

I am now quite lean and muscular, but I was not always like that, and it takes effort. However I have learned that changes in diet that are to extreme too fast usually can't be maintained. Its better to slowly work towards a better diet.

The many and varied reasons which used to justify being FAT and Gluttonous are just excuses !

Not always the case as your body goes into starvation mode. It will take a long time to shed the weight and it's unsustainable, who the he'll wants to be starving all the time?

I'm a atkins convert and eat as much as I want, fish meat cheese but almost no carbs. Lost 30kg while stuffing my face.

What is it to you ?

Not always the case as your body goes into starvation mode. It will take a long time to shed the weight and it's unsustainable, who the he'll wants to be starving all the time?

I'm a atkins convert and eat as much as I want, fish meat cheese but almost no carbs. Lost 30kg while stuffing my face.

There are reports of people getting fat on atkins too, fact is in the end its still about how much you eat. For some atkins helps to curb their appetite so they eat less. There was one guy who lost a lot of weight on Atkins / low carb and gained it all back on Atkins. He was eating too much meat (high caloric). So I am always skeptical on those who say they can stuff their face as the same laws of weight-loss apply.

Stop snacking ?

Keep a diary which details exactly what is consumed on a daily basis and then ask the question -----"Why am I obese" ?

Answer will be found in the diary which if maintained honestly will reveal evidence of gluttony.

Your reading and comprehension abilities are very very poor

The question is:

I want to find alternate nibbling suggestions

Try macadamia nuts still in their shells.

Need lots of effort to get the kernel, slows you down.

The fat in them is very filling and good for you.

Also do some research about: crisps are carcinogenic

Such an insight may help your resolve to change.....

This link may help scare you away from all that lovely fried and roasted/toasted food.

It did the job for me LOL When I read the OP I thought I had written it LOL

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=260

Stop snacking ?

Keep a diary which details exactly what is consumed on a daily basis and then ask the question -----"Why am I obese" ?

Answer will be found in the diary which if maintained honestly will reveal evidence of gluttony.

The question is:

Peanuts, Cashew nuts or similar.

Apples (whole or quickly broken up (cut up) before eating).

Oranges, as above.

Carrots, as above.

Grapes.

Cut fruit from street vendor or buy in small packs from supermarket.

A couple of leaves of fresh lettuce, well washed.

Fresh sprigs of broccoli or cauliflower, well washed.

Small cucumbers, peeled or unpeeled, whole of slices in circles or lengthwise

A couple of slices of cheese.

Fresh cooked corn (maybe cut into 3 or 4 pieces) or small can of corn

Small packs of milk.

etc...

All of the above and a bit more is what my Thai son and his wife feed their kids for snacks, instead of bags of chips etc. Outer family members well aware that they cannot bring bags of chips etc. to son's house.

Son and his wife both teach swimming part-time, they always take a big bag of some items listed above to the pool and push for the kids learning to swim to eat healthy. Many times the parents have quickly adopted the same approach.

What is it to you ?

There are reports of people getting fat on atkins too, fact is in the end its still about how much you eat. For some atkins helps to curb their appetite so they eat less. There was one guy who lost a lot of weight on Atkins / low carb and gained it all back on Atkins. He was eating too much meat (high caloric). So I am always skeptical on those who say they can stuff their face as the same laws of weight-loss apply.

There is a chemical process called ketosis when you consume less than 20g of carbs per day. Basically your body starts to eat it's own fat. It's quite fascinating and it's not BS because you can buy ketone strips that you pee on from most chemists to confirm your body has made the change

It's the only scientific diet available. Like I said 30kg in a few months. Im now in maintenance mode where I can add more carbs to stop the weight loss.

Yes sure there is bad press about atkins but being fat and probably ending up diabetic is no fun either

.....these yearnings are often an indication of some imbalance or deficiency...vitamin or mineral...

...other than that...like someone suggested...chew gum...but avoid artificial sweeteners if possible...

...also...change your habits...get busy.....then no time to snack....

What is it to you ?

There is a chemical process called ketosis when you consume less than 20g of carbs per day. Basically your body starts to eat it's own fat. It's quite fascinating and it's not BS because you can buy ketone strips that you pee on from most chemists to confirm your body has made the change

It's the only scientific diet available. Like I said 30kg in a few months. Im now in maintenance mode where I can add more carbs to stop the weight loss.

Yes sure there is bad press about atkins but being fat and probably ending up diabetic is no fun either

I know about ketosis.. it does not negate the laws of weight-loss. That is just a fable.

In general people on Atkins just eat less, it still is about burning calories and there is no such thing as a free ride.

As i said there are people who get fat on Atkins, I can get fat on Atkins if I wanted. I can make you fat on Atkins too if you do what i say and it will be within Atkins rules.

All weight loss is based on eating less.

.....these yearnings are often an indication of some imbalance or deficiency...vitamin or mineral...

...other than that...like someone suggested...chew gum...but avoid artificial sweeteners if possible...

...also...change your habits...get busy.....then no time to snack....

your right often cravings are a response to something the body needs something then. I have less cravings when I eat an balanced diet.

here for the guy who got fat on Atkins, its all about appetite control and eating less.. no magic. Atkins can help, much research has been done and people on Atkins just eat less as they ate before but are feeling fuller.

I can fully understand the OP's cravings. The only reason why I can resist eating chips is because in Thailand there are no affordable chips. I'm not paying 25 B for 3 chips in a big bag of air that don't even taste good. In despiration , yes dry noodles , not very tasty but only 4,5 to 5 B , and garantied you won't want to eat a second pack ! They sell coffie candy here , 38 B for a 100 pieces.... it wrecks your teeth , but it keeps your mouth busy and your hands clean and free. Eating fruit or veggies , nuts ,..always takes more time , to prepare & wash and it gets messy eating it.

I was eating too many myself recently. In my own case I just decided to stop buying them. If they aren't immediately available, I won't think about eating them and that leads to actually not eating them. There are a lot of healthy but delicious substitutes that will satisfy your need to eat and if those are in your fridge then you will switch to them. Fresh juices are amazingly filling I have found. Even small amounts of cheese are going to be nutritionally more beneficial than chips even if high in fat. Crackers work as well and even the worst of those, made with refined white flour are probably healthier than chips.

Stop snacking ?

The question is:

Peanuts, Cashew nuts or similar.

They are much healthier but at least as full of calories.. not really a good substitute if its about weight loss. If its just about health they are.

For me an apple often helps as they fill me up quite well.

When I have my coffee I like to have a nibble with it. Being conscious of weight gain I have taken to nibbling various Grubs and Bugs. They are healthy and non fattening and very tasty. I can highly recommend them.

Rimping has dried fruits such as mango and papaya. Dried ginger plus a Tim Tam is a dessert snack for me.

Zero Fat strawberry yoghurt is another alternative.

Markets and street stalls have prepared mango and pineapple slices. These are probably the healthiest snacks.

Also quite like the Hanami brand prawn crackers in various flavours. If you buy them in the 5 baht packets, they shouldn't ruin the waistline.

I was eating too many myself recently. In my own case I just decided to stop buying them. If they aren't immediately available, I won't think about eating them and that leads to actually not eating them. There are a lot of healthy but delicious substitutes that will satisfy your need to eat and if those are in your fridge then you will switch to them. Fresh juices are amazingly filling I have found. Even small amounts of cheese are going to be nutritionally more beneficial than chips even if high in fat. Crackers work as well and even the worst of those, made with refined white flour are probably healthier than chips.

Actually that is my solution to most bad things, I know I cant stand it when I got chocolate in the house, I would eat it for sure. So I just don't buy it. But its best to buy something else like an apple or something because once a craving comes you need something.

Actually that is my solution to most bad things, I know I cant stand it when I got chocolate in the house, I would eat it for sure. So I just don't buy it. But its best to buy something else like an apple or something because once a craving comes you need something.

Yep..It helps not having it at hand... last night i would have opened a packet if I had one here

Rice cakes - they have them in most markets... though not necessarily supermarkets... often brown rice, often a drizzle of something on top...

good stuff for snacking...

I like the rice cakes...the ones drizzled in caramel taste very good

Rimping has dried fruits such as mango and papaya. Dried ginger plus a Tim Tam is a dessert snack for me.

Zero Fat strawberry yoghurt is another alternative.

Markets and street stalls have prepared mango and pineapple slices. These are probably the healthiest snacks.

Also quite like the Hanami brand prawn crackers in various flavours. If you buy them in the 5 baht packets, they shouldn't ruin the waistline.

Good suggestion. I have started buying some dried fruit the last few weeks and this has taken me off another of my addictions... Halls/clorets candy..

Try a carrot

I have found the carrots in Thailand to be soft and lacking in taste as a snack option

Raisins

Agreed, probably best if I don't have them around...but i like to nibble and snack at night, so i do need a few alternatives

When you want to eat, go,for a short walk instead.

Try popcorn, light salt only, little fat and lots of fiber.

I like popcorn, air popped in microwave. I did read that popcorn has a very high GI number..over 100

Move over to the ones with sea weed or green tea flavour. That will cure your craving in a minute.

In fact you will never be able to look at another potato chip again...

555... a good suggestion. I feel that way about some of the seafood flavours and have reverted to BBQ or imported brands

Archived