Potato Chip addiction... Alternative snack suggestions

BookMan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try making some oatcakes. If you make them yourself you control what goes in them. The texture is not quite the same as crisps but they're healthier at least. Not sure how healthy those durian crisps are buy they're nice and of a similar texture. Or maybe have some toast.

I am sure it's not easy to quit. Branded foods are engineered to be tasty and thereby becoming addictive. Fat and sugar are the main drivers. Effectively, you have an addiction. Acknowledge that for a start and break the cycle. Suggest thinks that make you feel "full" to help kill the craving. Just plain water is good but green tea a good choice as well. Try to find healthy stuff with lots of fiber - apples, nuts, seeds. If you go cold turkey you should be over the addiction in about 6 to 8 weeks.

I snack often. My favourite is frozen raspberries or strawberries I buy in Makro. Per serving extremely inexpensive. Usually, I take a serving from the freezer, wait about 15 minutes then they are already thawed out. I place them in a small bowl and put some ice cream on the top and then some flavoured yoghurt. Three times a day and the deliciousness is overwhelming

I like roasted cashew nuts that I do myself. Takes only 5 minutes to do. Something I learned in Thailand, cook them in a wok with lots of salt instead of oil. Ask me for instructions. Eaten warm, they are sensational!

Snacks don't only need to be pre-packed affairs - make your own! You like those small tomatoes, so do I. Cut them up and have with a couple of slices of lovely brown bread and butter.

You can buy a tin of sardines or mackerel. Have them on toast - very aroi!

Occasionally, I eat crisps and pre-packaged snacks but the above suggestions are quick and easy to do, a lot more healthy and there is some satisfaction in doing it yourself and feel sure can save money as well.

I snack often. My favourite is frozen raspberries or strawberries I buy in Makro. Per serving extremely inexpensive. Usually, I take a serving from the freezer, wait about 15 minutes then they are already thawed out. I place them in a small bowl and put some ice cream on the top and then some flavoured yoghurt. Three times a day and the deliciousness is overwhelming

I like roasted cashew nuts that I do myself. Takes only 5 minutes to do. Something I learned in Thailand, cook them in a wok with lots of salt instead of oil. Ask me for instructions. Eaten warm, they are sensational!

Snacks don't only need to be pre-packed affairs - make your own! You like those small tomatoes, so do I. Cut them up and have with a couple of slices of lovely brown bread and butter.

You can buy a tin of sardines or mackerel. Have them on toast - very aroi!

Occasionally, I eat crisps and pre-packaged snacks but the above suggestions are quick and easy to do, a lot more healthy and there is some satisfaction in doing it yourself and feel sure can save money as well.

I do like those mackeral in sauce tins.. with some red or brown rice

rice chips or rice puffs ....You can get them at Emporim and Paragon, its freshly popped. Doesn't have the salty taste as its rather bland, but its cripsy and a healthy alternative.

You could dip them in sauces or even add your own flarvoring such as sea salt and pepper, papprika pepper, garlic salt,....etc

I was eating too many myself recently. In my own case I just decided to stop buying them. If they aren't immediately available, I won't think about eating them and that leads to actually not eating them. There are a lot of healthy but delicious substitutes that will satisfy your need to eat and if those are in your fridge then you will switch to them. Fresh juices are amazingly filling I have found. Even small amounts of cheese are going to be nutritionally more beneficial than chips even if high in fat. Crackers work as well and even the worst of those, made with refined white flour are probably healthier than chips.

Actually that is my solution to most bad things, I know I cant stand it when I got chocolate in the house, I would eat it for sure. So I just don't buy it. But its best to buy something else like an apple or something because once a craving comes you need something.

LOL. I've never experienced a craving for an apple in my life. When I get cravings I need to sate them with something "nasty" but very enjoyable. Tonight it was blueberry cheesecake. Sometimes it's chocolate... even potato chips! You only live once.biggrin.png I train more than hard enough to counter any fattening tendencies of craved "snacks".

I think the trick is to have the will power to moderate rather than eliminate... and never feel guilty. Enjoy them and feel good about them. Never turn an enjoyable moment into a stressful event.

Simply amazing !

There are now 4 pages filled with information on how Fatties can eat continuously.

Obesity really does come of plates and out of snack bags and is the result of unbridled gluttony !

Wanna lose weight ? Eat much less, stop snacking and exercise ! You know it makes sense smile.png

Simply amazing !

There are now 4 pages filled with information on how Fatties can eat continuously.

Obesity really does come of plates and out of snack bags and is the result of unbridled gluttony !

Wanna lose weight ? Eat much less, stop snacking and exercise ! You know it makes sense smile.png

This really is nonsense (about "unbridled gluttony"). Most obesity creeps up on people slowly over years of excess calorie consumption. Just a small excess on a daily basis can add up to a lot of fat over years... and easily put people in the obese category.

Simply amazing !

This really is nonsense (about "unbridled gluttony"). Most obesity creeps up on people slowly over years of excess calorie consumption. Just a small excess on a daily basis can add up to a lot of fat over years... and easily put people in the obese category.

You are both right and both wrong!

It is an exaggeration to us the term "unbridled gluttony" as a generalisation. You don't need to STOP snacking and in any event, it depends what you are snacking on! Eat less and exercise more is definitely just about the best advice for problems of being overweight.

When it comes to obesity "creeping up" on you: this is true in the sense that it doesn't happen overnight. But before you were obese you were already overweight. Are you suggesting that this goes completely unnoticed over "years"

Unless there is a medical condition attached to obesity, eating less of everything and trying some exercise can cost nothing and do wonders for recovery towards more manageable weight problems.

What can you do? My idea says: know what you consume now and know what you will consume from now on - do it GRADUALLY!

Simply amazing !

You are both right and both wrong!

It is an exaggeration to us the term "unbridled gluttony" as a generalisation. You don't need to STOP snacking and in any event, it depends what you are snacking on! Eat less and exercise more is definitely just about the best advice for problems of being overweight.

When it comes to obesity "creeping up" on you: this is true in the sense that it doesn't happen overnight. But before you were obese you were already overweight. Are you suggesting that this goes completely unnoticed over "years"

Unless there is a medical condition attached to obesity, eating less of everything and trying some exercise can cost nothing and do wonders for recovery towards more manageable weight problems.

What can you do? My idea says: know what you consume now and know what you will consume from now on - do it GRADUALLY!

What I said was not wrong in any way. Notice the use of the word "most" in my opening statement.

"Are you suggesting that this goes completely unnoticed over "years""

Yes, I am suggesting this. The progression of fat gain always goes unnoticed on a day to day basis. By the time you do notice there's a problem, the bad habits, lack of exercise (read: laziness), and general deterioration of the body's metabolism are extremely difficult to reverse. People makes promises, resolutions etc, but all to no avail as the pounds of fat continue to slowly accumulate.

Personally I've never been obese, but I've managed to fatten up quite a bit with no change on the scale due to an hiatus of exercise and a worsening diet... and I'm aware of fat to the point of fastidious pinch test measurements and even DEXA scans. I've even done hydrostatic weighing. I'm talking about gaining 5 - 10% bodyfat without a change in body weight.

You cannot rely on the mirror. It will lie every time. Every mirror in the house tells a different story. I know big bodybuilders who think they are skinny (I used to be one of them). Have you ever heard of anorexic girls who still think they're fat? Nothing you can say will change their minds.

You say: "But before you were obese you were already overweight."

why stop there... before you were overweight, you were probably an ideal weight unless you suffer from childhood obesity.

I really don't like this "overweight" terminology. It's a load of bs. If I looked at the ideal body weight tables I would be classified borderline obese, but I'm only about 12% bodyfat. My wife is overfat at 45kg, the minimum ideal weight on the charts for her height.

My view on snacks is they can really help one lose bodyfat even if they are not healthy snacks. They need to be placed strategically throughout the day to cut down on the number of full meals one eats.

I love potato chips. I will usually finish off whole packet if I opened one, regardless of size. If I buy smaller packets, I won't stop at one packet. Usually 2 or 3 continuously.

I realised instant weight increase, more hair loss and bad complexion. I know I have to stop my cravings.

Solution: don't buy. When you go to supermarket, avoid walking to the snack section. Avoid direct eye contact with those chips! Seriously!

Results: better health, better appearance, save money.

You can do it![emoji106][emoji2]

I love potato chips. I will usually finish off whole packet if I opened one, regardless of size. If I buy smaller packets, I won't stop at one packet. Usually 2 or 3 continuously.

I realised instant weight increase, more hair loss and bad complexion. I know I have to stop my cravings.

Solution: don't buy. When you go to supermarket, avoid walking to the snack section. Avoid direct eye contact with those chips! Seriously!

Results: better health, better appearance, save money.

You can do it![emoji106][emoji2]

I have taken some suggestions from here regarding snacks.. pineapple pieces...rice crackers.. etc.

The small tomatoes are working best at the moment.. If i have some handy they will stave off the desire to pop outside and walk to the 711 and buy some snacks

I have bought a couple of boxes of Pretz Larb flavoured sticks ... yumm... thankfully they are a small grammage size

• 1 month later...

I have taken some suggestions from here regarding snacks.. pineapple pieces...rice crackers.. etc.

The small tomatoes are working best at the moment.. If i have some handy they will stave off the desire to pop outside and walk to the 711 and buy some snacks

I have bought a couple of boxes of Pretz Larb flavoured sticks ... yumm... thankfully they are a small grammage size

What's missing in the thread is an effective guiding principle. A few do seem to be following one, however, or trying anyway.

Well, simply put, the general goal should be to snack--and even to eat--yet minimize elevation of insulin levels afterwards.

That means low carb and very low glycemic loads. It happens that veggies, nuts, dairy, eggs, meat, and some fruits fit in w/ that goal quite nicely. Grains pretty much don't, so the rice crackers and Pretz Larb flavoured sticks, however delish, just gotta go.

I like the quotation from Jack LaLanne above. Another is, "if man made it, don't eat it." smile.png

Pineapple pieces, if the fruit itself, aren't too bad but blueberries or strawberries would be better. Somebody mentioned frozen strawberries, good value in Thailand.

Best thing to do is just google for some snack ideas that fit in w/ the goal. Tons out there. You'll surely find something you can manage. Me, I might just have some Greek yoghurt w/ some strawberries and almonds. Or some almonds and 100% tomato juice. Here ya go:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=low+carb+snacks

Good luck w/ that. Could be the start of a much healthier you; I've seen it happen right here on this forum of all places. Someday you may even wonder why you used to eat potato chips--as long as no one puts any in front you. wink.png

Since a young fella I have had a appetite for potato chips

I fondly remember eating through many packs of Salt n Vinegar, Tomato Sauce flavour, Chicken, and plain old potato.

These days there are all sorts of flavours. I saw Honey and Butter flavour in BIg C week. Of course there are brands available form all over the world at Tops/Villa/Big C so the temptation to sample has been even greater.

The problem is , whatever I open, i tend to finish, irrelevant of package size

I even started buying the 11 gram x ten packs that are for school kids.. That worked a bit, as i would eat less, maybe opening 2-3 packs only in a sitting.

But, I want to find alternate nibbling suggestions.

My best , so far, is the small fingertip size tomatoes u can find everywhere here. I love tomatoes and they seem to do the trick for now

Anyone have other suggestions?

yo

Yes..grow up. You're an adult now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived