Overstay Report (Phuket)

I am happy to hear the overstay problem is resolved.

You will know that as an Indian passport holder visas for Thailand can only be obtained in India.

True for all except the Elite visa. Also there is another work-around. Enter Thailand on 14 day visa-on-arrival and then try to change it/convert to ED or similar inside Thailand. It is possible with the right connections and fully legal/they have the power to convert visas.

• Like 1

>>>>>>at the end...

The whole interaction lasted less than 5 minutes. 20k baht + a small tip (which I offered voluntarily. No demands were made.) and I was on my way.

<<<<<<<

Small tip? You must be a very lucky man, they could have arrested you for bribe.

and you would not be the first one.

Or just check in online and print the boarding pass, then no need to deal with the check in desk or wait around.

they will still want to see your passport,

I may be wrong, as i was about 10 years ago about something, but here goes. Cant check in online if have baggage to check in. With baggage, must go to check in counter. !!!

>>>>>>at the end...

The whole interaction lasted less than 5 minutes. 20k baht + a small tip (which I offered voluntarily. No demands were made.) and I was on my way.

<<<<<<<

Small tip? You must be a very lucky man, they could have arrested you for bribe.

and you would not be the first one.

Never depend on Thai Immigration, yes, they can be very good and helpful, but I'm sure many posters know the other side of the coin.

Or just check in online and print the boarding pass, then no need to deal with the check in desk or wait around.

You know that is a really really good idea by checking in online and printing your boarding pass you bypass the airline check in as some of them can be nasty refusing exit for a number of reasons. It also give you extra time as the airline check in only opens two hours before hand. Good post and you win the prize for this week.

Just curious what would happen if someone did the same as you in India?

Many "westerners" (white people, including Russians and Israelis) have been living illegally for years in Goa and in the Himalayas, specifically in Himachal Pradesh. The maximum overstay fine is INR 10,000 (about 5000 THB).

I didn't do this willfully. It was the result of Thailand's policy that says Indians can apply for a visa only within India, and an incompetent lawyer whom I had the misfortune to hire. He made me wait for 3+ months before telling me that he couldn't get me a visa, by which time I was already on overstay.

Just curious what would happen if someone did the same as you in India?

Many "westerners" (white people, including Russians and Israelis) have been living illegally for years in Goa and in the Himalayas, specifically in Himachal Pradesh. The maximum overstay fine is INR 10,000 (about 5000 THB).

I didn't do this willfully. It was the result of Thailand's policy that says Indians can apply for a visa only within India, and an incompetent lawyer whom I had the misfortune to hire. He made me wait for 3+ months before telling me that he couldn't get me a visa, by which time I was already on overstay.

Why refer to the "lawyer" as incompetent ?
You hired someone in the hope that the legally impossible could be somehow achieved.
Best you speak to Mr.Narendra Modi who, I am sure, will be pleased to negotiate a Bi-Lateral or better visa deal with the Thai people.