Any Linux Experts in the Pattaya area?

bangkokeddie

Hi

After 16 years on OS X, I have decided that it is time to move to Linux, both for security and freedom reasons.

Research leads me to believe that the best OSes for security are QubesOS (using Debian VMs) and Subgraph. I'm not interested in Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary etc. etc.

I bought a System76 Leopard WS desktop, having been assured that the hardware fit Qubes' criteria, and it arrived about a week ago.

Since then I have been driving myself crazy trying to get something other than Ubuntu installed. (Actually, at this point, not even Ubuntu will install, although it performs perfectly from a Live DVD)

So, it's time to get some expert help - or return the computer within the 30 day window.

Are there any Linux experts out there who would be willing to make a home visit? I would of course expect to pay you for your time and travel costs.

If so, please let me know! Thank you.

PS - I no longer live in Bangkok, but near Phoenix Golf Club, Pattaya.

Nice hardware! It's specially tailored for Ubuntu, isn't. Why should it not work with other flavours.

What distros are you trying? What messages are you getting, when?

I'm sure this can be got up and running. smile.png

In case you wish to have security, the best way is to go with a mainline Linux distribution. You did noted that you don't want Ubuntu, but think the idea once again.

All operating systems require patching. There are both functionality patches as well as security patches. It's normally up to us, wether we get the updates once a day, once a week or once a month.

Then it's up the to the people who take care of the OS distribution, how fast they check, update and distribute the fixes to our PC's or servers. The big players have tendency to update the packages (softwares) more often, compared to the few people teams with an alternative distribution. That's why all my servers use Ubuntu, not even debian, which is the root of the distribution tree.

I'm sorry to say, but if you are not even able to install a Linux distribution to your computer, you should not start with a no-name distribution, which name at least I have never heard of, before your post.

The problem with these small distros is that, while they might be saying, they increase security, they are the ones who claim that. They are also the ones, who can install any software to your computer embedded with the real software. While they are small, nobody would notice.

Meanwhile the larger distributions might get attacked, but those attacks are very fast noticed and published. Just like what happened with Linux Mint just some time ago. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

If you can wait till December I would be happy to help you. I don't think the travel expenses you want to pay cover a return ticket from Amsterdam ;)

I agree with oilinki that choosing a 'special' Linux distribution may not be the best choice for security.

Linux will not give you more freedom as OSX or Windows. A lot of people do not like the new Linux user interface but it is a hassle to install another Window manager so people tend to accept it. Yes, in theory, you are free to install something else, or even program it yourself but do you want to spend days trying all kind of software and configurations? After my last system update (running Fedora 23) I had to spend a few hours to get the Nvidia driver running on the new kernel. The reason I run Fedora is we run Redhat at work. I installed Ubuntu on my girl friends laptop.

What do you want to do with the PC, games, programming or stock market trading? The system is a bit overkill just to run a web browser.

Dear Linux Commenteriat,

There is no need for such a condescending tone. It's not the OP's fault that we have not heard of Qubes OS.

The OP evidently has special requirements. Give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of his willingness and learning capability. Offer what you can and try to voice your opinion without unnecessary judgment.

My comment and question to the OP:

• If there are hardware limitations to running Qubes, they would be in terms of performance. Since your chosen hardware is rather powerful and Linux customized, there should be such limitations.
  • Would sandboxing crucial applications be a sufficient and practical compromise for your security needs?

Qubes OS 3.1 is a large system (according to distrowatch.com, the .iso file is 4.754Gb! - Win10 is <4Gb). Installation might be tricky (I haven't tried it).

Why not look at distrowatch.com, see what types of linux are popular - these usually have the larger online forums to assist you with installation.

If your concern is about private browsing, Tails OS is tailored for that purpose (I don't use it)

Otherwise, the more popular distros usually have extensive repositiories from where you can download extra media players etc. AA

I didnt read what version of Linux you are using. If it is Red Hat you will need to be very comfortable with command lines and their usage.

I wonder what gave you that idea?

RedHat or CentOS has both KDE and Gnome right there in the distro, and all the other popular desktops are available as well....

Back to the OP: You didn't say what the full H/W specs are on your system. Are you by any chance using M.2 SSD? That tends to make the booting configuration somewhat awkward.

I didnt read what version of Linux you are using. If it is Red Hat you will need to be very comfortable with command lines and their usage.

I wonder what gave you that idea?

RedHat or CentOS has both KDE and Gnome right there in the distro, and all the other popular desktops are available as well....

Back to the OP: You didn't say what the full H/W specs are on your system. Are you by any chance using M.2 SSD? That tends to make the booting configuration somewhat awkward.

There are lots of versions and some are a lot harder to install than others. It appears he was installing something other than the original version he got with the computer but which one?

To me it's quite clear Gandalf12.

The OP ordered high-end hardware from System76 (https://system76.com/). They will sell you hardware or with Ubuntu installed.

OP doesn't want Ubuntu, but wants to install QubesOS. This didn't work out, and Ubuntu install didn't work either. Although the LiveCD will boot and work.

That's what prompted me to ask if the boot drive is M.2 SSD as they could be a nightmare to configure correctly in the BIOS.

I know... I have an ASUS X99 with Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD... took some time to get it right.

If I was in the vicinity I would gladly come over and tinker. Haven't worked with QubesOS, could be fun.

I agree with some of the others that a more mainstream system would provide a far easier experience, especially if this is your first venture into linux.

Debian runs slower update cycles on the same base as ubuntu (ubuntu based on debian) which gives increased security and stability.

More importantly, a huge global network of experienced users who can help solve issues like this.

Smaller distros have smaller community so reduced support options meaning need to figure out much more on your own.

Qubes does look good and in theory would be significantly more secure, assuming no weaknesses that haven't yet been found - new ways of doing things ALWAYS bring new flaws.

It is the speed of finding and fixing those flaws that help security (heartbleed/shellshock were around for years for instance)

The big question is whether you truly need the increased level of security and whether you are willing to trade it for the inconvenience.

I am happy with Ubuntu (Mate edition, hate unity) but then I don't store credit card details, official government secrets or work for wikileaks.

Only you can decide if you need it or not, based on informed facts and your personal situation.

As for the issues, never used Qubes but know linux very well and fairly local, but very short of time currently so see if you can get it sorted, if not get in touch next week.

Also out of curiosity, those System 7 computers look great, but did you get stung on import tax coming in? If so how much?

Also do they extend their monthly payment scheme to overseas foreigners? (do they even offer it at all, hard to tell!)

Qubes does look good and in theory would be significantly more secure

^^ welcomeani.gif to signthaivisa.gif

True, but it's actually done in a rather roundabout way, and presumably with quite some overheads.

GNU Hurd tries the solve the problem of monolithic kernels in a much simpler fashion. Needless to say, running a Hurd distro one is probably equally "alone" as with Qubes.

799px-OS-structure2.svg.png

Archived