Say No to Taxi Passengers, Lose License 30 Days, Prayuth Proposes

rooster59

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not defending anything. I'm just pointing out that I live in the Sukhumvit area, use taxis pretty much every day, and rarely have a problem.

Will you please stop being sensible. Can you not understand, this a thread about Bangkok Taxis. You're supposed to whinge This is neither the time nor the place for sensible comments!

Well that's nice since I just had a taxi dump me and my son on the side of the road. I don't like them to automatically lock the doors so you can't get out. It is illegal and very dangerous. There just recently were 2 children trapped in a burning car. the driver was unconscious and they could not unlock the doors due to the accident. I asked the driver to unlock them so he threw me and my child out.

So you complain endlessly about the taxi drivers, and when a step is proposed to deal with issue, you complain about that too?

Headline should read 'Miserable farangs impossible to please'.

No. It's called people with common sense seeing through a crap idea in 5 seconds. The problem is that it will fail to deal with the issue. Stop defending them.

I find it extremely irritating when taxi drivers refuse to take me where I want to go but, whilst muttering curses under my breath, I just wait for another. If they are so <deleted> stupid they refuse fares, then that's their loss.

However I agree with you that this measure is nonsense that will never be enforced, if it's ever introduced, except maybe once for the press to report on.

I agree with you on those who defend the appalling behaviour exhibited by some taxi drivers.

A whole 30 days and they'll be afraid to repeat the offence ! rolleyes.gif

To start with how many will bother their backside at such a slap on the wrist then comes the ever popular question of enforcement and we know how good the BIB and other agencies are at that.

Actually 30 days loss of earnings is a significant "slap on the wrist" - much more so than the usual say, 500 baht fine. However, I agree with you regarding the enforcement, and being stopped without a licence would probably incur just such an "on the spot" fine.

just more dog and pony show.

unfortunately there is no one with any balls to enforce it.

taxi drivers do not care about license.

how many times have you taken a taxi and the picture on the license is not the driver!!!!!!!!!

again i reiterate who has the balls to enforce or do any thing about this issue.

got to keep those brown bags full!!!!!!!!! there lies the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Sukumvit area very hard to get a taxi mostly prefer going to airport or farang.

Nonsense, usually no difficulty at all in getting one of the thousands of taxis around that area.

How would you know that "most prefer going to airport", do you ask them? Ridiculous comment.

I have stayed frequently in Soi 1 Sukumvit, and find great difficulty in getting a taxi to take me to the airport, especially at busy times of the day. In spite of the "Meter Taxi" sign on the top, most of them refuse to use the meter, and quote an exorbitant price, or just shake their head and drive away without a word of explanation (In spite of the fact that I am accompanied by my Thai wife, so no comments needed about taxi drivers not speaking English, please!)

The latest proposal by the PM might hold a bit more credibility if the BIB stepped in when they saw a taxi driver refusing a fare - are they not supposed to be doing that already?

So I fear that once again, this "proposal" will carry as much weight as a bag of feathers!

There will be a shortage of taxis for 30 days when, or if, this gets introduced !

Surely you are joking?

A 30 day suspension from their license would only mean they will be driving during that time illegally. Do you really think a taxi driver is scared to drive if their license is suspended for such a short time?

They need to confiscate the taxi and suspend the driver for 3 months to ensure some kind of result. Otherwise, P's idea is just one more thing for Thais to laugh at.

If the licence is actually taken away from them, then presumably they couldn't rent a taxi (if they rent)

Losing a months wages seems more than enough for refusing a fare

Maybe suspending them for a year would be better for refusing a fare, I mean who cares about the wife, kids, sick parents etc, compared to the heartache of being refused?

There will be a shortage of taxis for 30 days when, or if, this gets introduced !

Surely you are joking?

A 30 day suspension from their license would only mean they will be driving during that time illegally. Do you really think a taxi driver is scared to drive if their license is suspended for such a short time?

They need to confiscate the taxi and suspend the driver for 3 months to ensure some kind of result. Otherwise, P's idea is just one more thing for Thais to laugh at.

If the licence is actually taken away from them, then presumably they couldn't rent a taxi (if they rent)

Losing a months wages seems more than enough for refusing a fare

Maybe suspending them for a year would be better for refusing a fare, I mean who cares about the wife, kids, sick parents etc, compared to the heartache of being refused?

You presume a lot. Do you really think that someone who lost their license for a month is going to advertise to their bosses that they are no longer licensed. Do you really think the bosses they rent taxis from asks their drivers to see their license daily? For that matter, do you honestly think they actually would care if they did know? Car dealers sell cars to anyone who is approved their loan or who had the money to buy it, with or without a license. You are lost in your faith that the rental place would actually be concerned over that.

So you complain endlessly about the taxi drivers, and when a step is proposed to deal with issue, you complain about that too?

Headline should read 'Miserable farangs impossible to please'.

You must be new here! cheesy.gif

We've had countless crackdowns on taxi's last years and NOTHING has helped solving the problems.

In the rest of Thailand (Pattaya or Phuket) they even don't use a metre at all.

The only thing being improved is they don't yell to travellers at the airport and don't wait in the arrivals hall anymore.

You can never get a taxi in Sukhmvit easily. You need to try several before the driver condescends to take you. I usually if I am going out of the city get the BTS as far as possible then get a taxi. Never have any problem then. Taxi's down Sukhumvit obviously get too much money if they can say no to a fare

I get taxis easily in Sukhumvit every day.

In 10 years using taxi's regularly i don't remember ever being refused on Sukhumvit road. Perhaps there have been occasion, but it must be so infrequently i cannot remember it.

Soi Biker. Happy now?

You can never get a taxi in Sukhmvit easily. You need to try several before the driver condescends to take you. I usually if I am going out of the city get the BTS as far as possible then get a taxi. Never have any problem then. Taxi's down Sukhumvit obviously get too much money if they can say no to a fare

In 10 years using taxi's regularly i don't remember ever being refused on Sukhumvit road. Perhaps there have been occasion, but it must be so infrequently i cannot remember it.

Soi Biker. Happy now?

I was happy already.

Not sure what your point is here, though - is there a reason you asked?

Soi Biker. Happy now?

I was happy already.

Not sure what your point is here, though - is there a reason you asked?

Check your last message to me. It's quite simple really.

SoiBiker started a thread a few months back... the thread seemed to be based on a genuine interest as to why some had issues with taxi's while others didn't. Was there a common theme for rejection or issues? location, destination, language spoken? etc etc...

Based on that thread is seemed that experiences varied widely... but location was an issue.

In reality I suspect peoples tolerance also varies dramatically - Some may see it as quite normal and be quite satisfied being accepted by the 3rd taxi after 2 rejections... Others may take the 2 rejections personally and rush to complain about it - Then there are those in-between, who in the spectrum of opinions of taxi's range from a strong dislike to seeing them as a valuable service to the city of Bangkok.

One thing is for sure - when a supposedly standardised service is not policed or controlled experiences will vary and in reality no one is more right than anyone else when voicing their opinions based on their experiences.

I for one see Bangkok's taxis as an extremely valuable service, but at the same time I avoid them as much as possible because quite frankly I find them a pain in the backside... Do I expect too much? I'm not sure, but I find a handful of rejections in a row extremely annoying and thus instead use better alternatives (UBER).

Is it my fault I'm trying to take a taxi from Sukhumvit 20 at 9pm on a Friday night ???? some would imply that I should expect issues, but that doesn't righty defend the taxi's rejection... Doing something about this issue would be great, but like many announcements I fear simple lip-service is being paid to the media....

Since alternatives to standing on the side of the road trying to flag a taxi down now exist (Uber and Grab Taxi) then as the previous poster said, use them. The recalcitrant drivers will lose business.

Tried unsuccessfully to get multiple taxis from Mochit BTS station to Thanyaburi klong 4 tonight which normally comes to 280b plus 100 for the toll and i always give a 40b tip. The first 3 taxis outiside the station refused so I simply opened my grabtaxi application, booked a taxi and 4 minutes later driver arrived to pick me up. He was extremely friendly and courteous and we were both speaking to each other in Thai, what little I can speak. He even went as far as trying to teach me some new words and phrases. Gets a 5 outta 5 from me. The rest can piss off.

Same as I personally experienced numerous times since late '90's.

Can be many valid reasons for refusing a fare. Shift change is a big one. Getting stuck in hours of traffic for a Bt xx fare.

And, very honestly, why shouldn't a person be free to decide when, where and how they work?

Can be many valid reasons for refusing a fare. Shift change is a big one. Getting stuck in hours of traffic for a Bt xx fare.

And, very honestly, why shouldn't a person be free to decide when, where and how they work?

In answer to your question, wouldn't it be nice to tell your boss that you weren't going to work the hours that you were employed to do in the first place, that you weren't going to work in the place that you were employed to work in, and you were going to work the way you wanted to?

Don't forget your coat on the way out!

In answer to your question, wouldn't it be nice to tell your boss that you weren't going to work the hours that you were employed to do in the first place, that you weren't going to work in the place that you were employed to work in, and you were going to work the way you wanted to?

That's a pretty convenient spin on what I wrote. Do you not understand the concept of a 2 shift or 3 shift taxi operation?

re. " .. the hours that you were employed to do.."

In many cases the drivers are employed to work a shift. If the work significantly longer than their shift, they actually take compensation away from the next driver.

re. ".. you were going to work the way you wanted to .."

In some case the driver is a sole owner/operator .. i.e. own boss.

re: ".. In answer to your question .. " "Don't forget your coat on the way out!"
Since you made this personal .. I tried to find a coat but all mine have been lost, misplaced or tossed out after almost 20 years here, so despite your rude "invitation", I think I'll stay a bit longer.

That's a pretty convenient spin on what I wrote. Do you not understand the concept of a 2 shift or 3 shift taxi operation?

re. " .. the hours that you were employed to do.."

In many cases the drivers are employed to work a shift. If the work significantly longer than their shift, they actually take compensation away from the next driver.

re. ".. you were going to work the way you wanted to .."

In some case the driver is a sole owner/operator .. i.e. own boss.

re: ".. In answer to your question .. " "Don't forget your coat on the way out!"
Since you made this personal .. I tried to find a coat but all mine have been lost, misplaced or tossed out after almost 20 years here, so despite your rude "invitation", I think I'll stay a bit longer.

"Don't forget your coat on the way out!" was a statement - not a question, and certainly not a "rude invitation"!

A statement that certainly would be made not just to you (so I wasn't being personal), but to anyone who treated their employer with the contempt that you are describing i.e. "why shouldn't a person be free to decide when, where and how they work?" If they are indeed self employed, I agree to a certain extent but when you say "a person" I presume you mean "anybody" and that includes employers and employees as well.

I do not know too much about the concept of 2 shift or 3 shift taxi working, but I do have some experience of shift working, and if I had tried to "cherry pick" which shifts I was going to work, I know what my boss's reaction would have been - hence the reference to the coat! And aren't all "Meter Taxis" equipped with an illuminated sign in the windscreen which tells you that they are available? End of shift - knock it off - simples!

However, self employed or not, aren't all taxi drivers supposed to have a licence, and is one of the conditions of that licence that they are not to refuse passengers unless they have a valid reason for doing so?

Archived