BANGKOK
Morakot

Your Linux distribution

Your Linux distro  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A nice poll to see what Linux distros people use.

If you use several different Linux distros, please chose your main or favourite machine to answer the poll.

If your distro is not listed in the first nine choices, look at DistroWatch's popularity contest and see the 12 month ranking to answer the poll.

Tell us your particular set up: server, desktop, laptop, tablet, multi-media, etc. in the discussion below, if you like.

Edited by Morakot

The poll doesn't really reflect my reality as I use Linux for both business and personal. I have several Linux droplets on Digital Ocean running Centos and Ubuntu but have settled on LinuxMint for personal use. I however use an iMac for my computer needs so in a sense, I run Unix, not Linux.

LinuxMint would be my personal choice.

Simply saying "Mint" doesn't reveal much. Is it the Debian or the Ubuntu-based version? Is it with Cinnamon or MATE?

I use tahr puppy....

It can utilize ubuntu tahr packages. Best thing is, it loads into ram. If you don't save anything, All traces disappear when you turn off the computer.

Pretty slick.

You can save on the thumb drive that you boot off of....if you need to.....or just put everything you want to save on dropbox, etc.

Great backup...and great way to carry your own operating system around. I used to bring mine to the store and plug it into a laptop, before I bought it. (With permission)

You can actually keep a backup of your system on dropbox, if your laptop gets grabbed/confiscated by customs.

Nothing on the hard drive!

Edited by slipperylobster

I use tahr puppy....

It can utilize ubuntu tahr packages. Best thing is, it loads into ram. If you don't save anything, All traces disappear when you turn off the computer.

Pretty slick.

You can save on the thumb drive that you boot off of....if you need to.....or just put everything you want to save on dropbox, etc.

Great backup...and great way to carry your own operating system around. I used to bring mine to the store and plug it into a laptop, before I bought it. (With permission)

You can actually keep a backup of your system on dropbox, if your laptop gets grabbed/confiscated by customs.

Nothing on the hard drive!

Whether you worry about your content or customs, you should be encrypting everything. I don't own a HD internal or external that is not encrypted.

Edited by stuck

what's linux?

What's Google?

Mint Mate for my Media box, the rest is on Mac.

Why did you choose Mate over Cinnamon?

On 6/24/2016 at 11:43 PM, stuck said:

Whether you worry about your content or customs, you should be encrypting everything. I don't own a HD internal or external that is not encrypted.

Good to see that paranoia still rules OK....

Don't forget to tape over your laptop's camera and microphone too.

• Haha 1

Mint 17.3 cinnamon for everyday use

Kali for fun

Ubuntu 14.05 for Kodi box

Openelec  also on a kodi box

Hi all,

so happy to see this topic in Thailand!

I was always a fan of Vanilla stuff, so for me Home/Personal use

Slackware Distro 64bit 14.1

Hosting Environments ALL:

CentOS 6.x

:)

Since 4 weeks Mint 18 here, very happy with it. Some issues though, that brought me back to this forum. 

Thread bump. I have a cheap Shuttle XS35GT with 2 hard drives. /dev/sda is 500GB and /dev/sdb is 60GB SSD.

/dev/sda boots to Solus Budgie.  /dev/sdb boots to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and is the main desktop. I use sdb for main desktop and save work to sda.

Solus is an interesting trip back in time to the Gnome 2 era. Solus Project

I use elementary OS on a Chromebook c720 when I travel. I've no need for anything expensive when I travel and think losing a 3 year old 200$ laptop better than losing a 500$ or more laptop.

I use the laptop for unexpected travel arrangements which include agoda or airline reservations involving ATM and or credit card numbers. I do not use my phone for things involving credit card numbers or online banking. I believe the cell phone security risks are far too great.