• None of the above, but top 50 on distrowatch
    • None of the above, but top 100 on distrowatch
    • None of the above, but listed on distrowatch
    • None of the above, some Linux NOT listed on distrowatch

This poll is closed to new votes

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm an openSUSE user (age 65).   

Have openSUSE on 3 old PCs here in Europe (2 desktop's and 1 laptop). Laptop is Toshiba Satellite Z930. Desktops both custom: one with a core i7-4770 on a Gigabyte Z87X-DH3 motherboard and the oldest a very old core-i7-920 on an ASUSTek P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. 

I plan to retire in Phuket in May this year (as my wife and I have already purchased a condo), and bring my laptop and Gigabyte motherboard based desktop with me, discarding the very old ASUSTek PC.

My first introduction to GNU/Linux was in Phuket in 1998 when while living in Phuket (on sabbatical for a couple of years) I installed Red Hat GNU/Linux for the first time on an ancient Compaq LTE5200 laptop.  I have not looked back since and still happy with GNU/Linux.    

I hope to drop in on this forum thread a bit more often after May this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I actually know someone who does re the camera.

After reading Mr Snowdens revelations, I might do too nowadays...

All the dirt and hacking stuff I have is behind several firewalls and NAT, so I'm not very worried about that. Some is encrypted too, but if NSA can de-crypt SSL in real time, that is worrisome. But if you can turn on a webcam remotely without turning on the little LED... that's scary.

• 4 weeks later...

Setup of VPN at times quite difficult who are newbie for the VPN configuration. But now VPN have much flexiblity regarding configuration or come up with user friendliness. Try FastestVPN as its offers Best VPN for all operating system especially Linux too with an easy setup that lets you experience the internet with freedom, anonymity, security and privacy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/25/2019 at 4:09 PM, Pattaya46 said:

I use Debian for decades for my job on web servers and don't see the point to change for another distrib on my own computer.

I think that a good idea.  I do not believe being a 'distro hopper' is productive.   As a distro hopper one does get to see different ways of doing things only in a very superficial way (IMHO).  I've read countless posts of distro hopper who complain about function 'x' in a distro, where if they had only spent a small time more in that same distro they would have learned that distro has function 'y' which means function 'x' not needed or easily worked around, but they never learn.  I think sticking with what one knows as much as possible (whether it be Mac, Windows, or a specific GNU/Linux distribution) is the way to go.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 10:22 AM, oldcpu said:

I think that a good idea.  I do not believe being a 'distro hopper' is productive.   As a distro hopper one does get to see different ways of doing things only in a very superficial way (IMHO).  I've read countless posts of distro hopper who complain about function 'x' in a distro, where if they had only spent a small time more in that same distro they would have learned that distro has function 'y' which means function 'x' not needed or easily worked around, but they never learn.  I think sticking with what one knows as much as possible (whether it be Mac, Windows, or a specific GNU/Linux distribution) is the way to go.

Used Debian for more than a decade. Moved to Devuan almost a year ago (Devuan = Debian without systemd). Never looked back!!

devuan.org

logo.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:56 AM, WalkingOrders said:

I change about every 3 months or so.

Strewth, I couldn't be doing with that, what's the point?

I tried a few flavours to start with, but settled on Linux Mint and have been happy with that the last six years.

Recently, I confess to have tried a few different distros in a search to find one that worked well on a mini-PC with HiDPI display; Mint doesn't offer more than 2x scaling. I quickly settled on KDE Neon, which works a treat, though I've not been tempted to change the desktops, as Mint works fine, and the wife & kids are familiar and happy with Mint. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Linux Newbie!

I've got a 10 year old laptop I recently reformatted, I have reinstalled it mainly with Win10 again BUT this time I set a separate partition on which I've installed Zorin 15.

The Windows install still chugs away a bit but I've been very impressed with Zorin, it's breathed new life into a decrepit old rig. I'm really liking the interface on Zorin, it's really slick. Most stuff was pretty easy to adapt to, took a bit of work getting my VPN working. I think the only part I don't really enjoy is trying to connect to my (Google) cloud drive. I did want to use Chromium browser but Netflix didn't work so I've switched back to Firefox. I've got some documents and spreadsheets I'd created on MS Office and no problems using them in Libreoffice.

The thing I appreciate most about Zorin is the time between logging in to being ready to use compared to Windows. The shutdown time is also super quick.

I was going to try Mint on my newer laptop but just couldn't get the damn thing to boot from my USB pen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I updated my Kubuntu 18.04 system to 20.04.

Fairly painless process, however once completed, I had to restore certain custom settings. First was to use postfix vs. sendmail for sending email; next I had to update fail2ban to read/manage a list of blocked IP addresses (mainly from China and Russia... sorry!), and finally to update my SSH daemon with custom settings.

The total time for the update took about 4 hours (while waiting, I stepped out of home to go eat a damn good Philly Cheese Steak sandwich and fries, along with a few Wild Turkey 101/ginger ale drinks).

P.S. This was on an HP laptop, with and i5 processor, 16 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB SSD.

Edited by Gumballl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:28 PM, Moncul said:

Kali, but I use it for work.

Not to pry too much, but why do you use it "only" for work? Is it not worthy to use at home?

About the Kali Linux Distribution

Kali Linux is an open source project that is maintained and funded by Offensive Security, a provider of world-class information security training and penetration testing services. In addition to Kali Linux, Offensive Security also maintains the Exploit Database and the free online course, Metasploit Unleashed.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, Barnabe said:

Debian since 2005, took me some time to customise everything but been running smoothly ever since!

My current installation is 11 years old and survived multiple computer and disk transplants.

Might be time to update to Debian "bullseye" Release. ????