Sealy mattresses - where to get a good deal?

lifedrainer

Hi folks,

After sleeping a couple of years (sounds pathetic i know) on a single mattress on the floor, i decided i wanted to buy me a decent mattress.

Sealy - audrey is quite pricy, i wanna make sure it's not cheaper somewhere else.

I saw it at 69 999 baht minus 25% at a furniture fair at muang thong.

Any experts in here?

Thai mattresses seem to be poor quality, as hard as nails and way overpriced.

If convenient for you, I would go and look at IKEA. I got a cheap foam mattress there which I use over my expensive Sealy mattress which was very uncomfortable. The result is fine.

Believe the price is tightly controlled as only sold in department type outlets but that is really OTT for an upgrade from Thai floor sleeping IMHO. But they have a dozen or more quality/price point models so can likely go as high as you can pay - but also can sell other models which are likely of almost same quality for much less.

Looking for a box spring lately came across this firm and from reading sounds good (but no real world information). I have previously had a Thai high quality mattress and was very happy with it; so they can make them.

http://www.hugsthailand.com/hugs-mattresses-beds

It may be of interest to know that mattress brands such as "Sealy" & "Slumberland" are operated as franchises, just like McDonalds. The parent companies license the name to local mattress manufacturers to use on product sold within that country and usually protects them from imports using the same name. Although they have to adhere to certain material and quality guidelines, they are allowed a lot of leeway to conform to different local needs.

Basically, customers here pay a huge premium for the name but don't expect a particular model of one of these brands sold in Thailand to match the same model/brand as one sold in the US or Europe.

It may be of interest to know that mattress brands such as "Sealy" & "Slumberland" are operated as franchises, just like McDonalds. The parent companies license the name to local mattress manufacturers to use on product sold within that country and usually protects them from imports using the same name. Although they have to adhere to certain material and quality guidelines, they are allowed a lot of leeway to conform to different local needs.

Basically, customers here pay a huge premium for the name but don't expect a particular model of one of these brands sold in Thailand to match the same model/brand as one sold in the US or Europe.

There you have it,the label says one thing but in reality it ain,t true.............TIT gigglem.gif

I bought my Sealy some 3-4 years ago at Index, cost was about 40k baht. Checked it out thoroughly and had a "Made in USA" tag. Been very good sleeping, with 90 kg on one side and 40 kg on the other. We do rotate and flip over about every 3-4 months.

Bought our sealy at home pro 6 years ago, just top part only, no box spring. Flip every 3 months and use a GOOD mattress pad. Sound investment in comfort over the Thai brick they sell as a mattress. Not cheap however compared to the states. Think we paid around 34,000 baht.

Bought our sealy at home pro 6 years ago, just top part only, no box spring. Flip every 3 months and use a GOOD mattress pad. Sound investment in comfort over the Thai brick they sell as a mattress. Not cheap however compared to the states. Think we paid around 34,000 baht.

Yes 30-35K is about the normal price for a boxspring. Ikea is much cheaper though and sells real soft mattresses from latex.

I have a Synda and a Lady Americana boxspring and they both are crap. They are very thick and heavy and still not soft at all. Boxsprings are so out of date, they belong to the last century.

Ikea sells boxsprings at 90cm and 150cm - the normal Thai single bed mattress is 107cm (3 1/2 feet). Should I say Ikea belongs in another country? smile.png

FYI the quoted post price of 34k was for a mattress - not a boxspring.

I had a Lady Americana and it was impossible to sleep on without a thick topper. Got rid of it and purchased one of the really plush

Sealy at Central Festival Chiang Mai. Not cheap but worth every Satang. The top of the line models of Sealy are made in the US. At least the core,

perhaps they are finished locally but enough content to mark "Made in America".

Next time you are in a 5 star global brand hotel strip off the sheets one will see Sealy frequently.

Ikea sells boxsprings at 90cm and 150cm - the normal Thai single bed mattress is 107cm (3 1/2 feet). Should I say Ikea belongs in another country? smile.png

FYI the quoted post price of 34k was for a mattress - not a boxspring.

I see, then i even don't know the difference between a boxspring and a mattress. In Europe we don't use boxsprings at all.

Can those IKEA mattresses not fit in a Kingsized bedframe? If you use 2 single person ones? I didn't try that but still want to go buy 2 of them at IKEA one day. Just go there and try them mattresses yourself, i love those.

I won't go testing mattresses in Thailand anymore, get sooo tired of those dumb salespeople. So Sealy is the better one they use in the better hotels? Good to know that, i 'll try them out somewhere.

In every mall it's possible to bargain for a mattress, those salesguys just want to get the maximum bonus and try to fool you with their calculator-tricks and discount here and there. My lady americana also costed near 60k but at the end we got it for around 37 or so with some free stuff.

I just bought a Sealy at Index in Rayong. They have what is called the Joy Price and include a 12 piece bedding set....I looked at all the matresses and the one I wanted was 24, 999 b.....However it was not in stock. So

there resident Sleep Doctor offered me the floor model at 30% off with no Joy package and then right before paying she ran up and gave me anothe 15% off.....all total with a delivery fee the mattress was 13 400 b....

The floor model was on the floor for less than a week. .....Great mattress.

Also bought a Santas gel fill pillow. If you like dense mallible pillows get one. Best pillow you will ever own. Get the med density .....The Gf got the firm one and I prefer my med by far....they are about 2200.

I have to add.....the normal price for the matress alone was something like mid thirties....I have a decent box spring already. these new matresses work well with just a platform bed however and they can be purchased in many places starting around 10k......mine is a 6ft btw.

Edited by NickJ