NRSA's Alongkorn insists measures are needed during Thailand's political transition

webfact

NRSA's Alongkorn insists measures are needed during Thailand’s political transition

BANGKOK, 14 March 2016 (NNT) – A vice president of the National Reform Steering Assembly has insisted that a number of measures are needed while the country is going through the political transition.

NRSA’s First Vice President Alongkorn Ponlaboot said that calls for appointed senators during the period of the country’s political transition, appear to be a measure to ensure Thailand continues with the reform process in a smooth fashion.

Mr. Alongkorn said that, personally, he views the senate appointment system as a universal practice, not an example of the use of special powers.

He added that, if any political group has any proposals deemed better, they should quickly submit them with the Constitution Drafting Commission.

Meanwhile, Mr. Alongkorn insisted that Thailand needs some special measures to help with the political transition in order to help the country avoid a repeat of a political crisis as seen in the past.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-14 footer_n.gif

Well! If he says so, then I guess we must believe him. I mean, the way he sees things must be correct right? Even if nobody agrees with him about it.

Seems to me that alongkorn is trying to force you to believe him. Ignore my right hand while you watch my left.

Well! If he says so, then I guess we must believe him. I mean, the way he sees things must be correct right? Even if nobody agrees with him about it.

Seems to me that alongkorn is trying to force you to believe him. Ignore my right hand while you watch my left.

suppose for a moment that this guy didn't make this statemnt

It doesn't take much to look back these last 20-30 years and very obviously see that Thailand has been a political disaster, the reasons are mute and no point in discussing them but one thing is for sure, in order to progress to any sort of political stability some very special measures do need to be put in place - there is absolutely no doubt about that.

A well written constitution and strong measures enforced by powerful agencies to wipe out corruption and enforce the law would be a good start.

There are too many self appointed private power mongers in this country who appointed themselves that really need to be dealt with - and I'm not talking about the current government who seem to be the only possible way to achieve stability, everything else in the past has failed

NRSA’s First Vice President Alongkorn Ponlaboot said that calls for appointed senators during the period of the country’s political transition, appear to be a measure to ensure Thailand continues with the reform process in a smooth fashion.

Mr. Alongkorn said that, personally, he views the senate appointment system as a universal practice, not an example of the use of special powers.

So what is the National referendum for? Personal views of the junta are being put into practice without the say of the general public anyway. Reform seems awfully one-sided, on the government's side.

It doesn't take much to look back these last 20-30 years and very obviously see that Thailand has been a political disaster, the reasons are mute and no point in discussing them but one thing is for sure, in order to progress to any sort of political stability some very special measures do need to be put in place - there is absolutely no doubt about that.

A well written constitution and strong measures enforced by powerful agencies to wipe out corruption and enforce the law would be a good start.

There are too many self appointed private power mongers in this country who appointed themselves that really need to be dealt with - and I'm not talking about the current government who seem to be the only possible way to achieve stability, everything else in the past has failed

Thailand has been a political disaster after 1932 when the military took the king's absolute power for itself.

Twenty well written constitutions by the military with an ever increasing number of independent agencies to oversee an elected government clearly have not provided the remedies necessary for a stable and progressive democratic society.

Even Prayut says that a constitution is not a special medicine nor a formula to fix Thailand’s problems.

Something vital has been missing and the military is unlikely to allow it to be found - the Thai people's sovereignty.

Obviously you can't see that the present and past military governments are the common denominator that has held any semblance of democracy out of reach for over 70 years. The sooner this country reduces the size of it's military personnel by 50% ie. a figure commensurate with it's global needs and then bans it from interfering in politics, the sooner long term political stability can be achieved. Sadly, the 'influential' power players in LOS have been able to use the military to serve their own political/personal agendas. IMHO the Thai military does not act in defence of the country or all of it's citizens. It exists to serve the persons of 'influence', and I don't see this changing at all in my lifetime.

How Alongkorn has changed since he been recruited into the NRSA. He talk so much about electability reform when he was Dem Party deputy party chief and now he has totally do a 360 and support non electable military senators. Powers can do strange thing to anyone. I doubt he even know what measures has been decided. In fact no one knows. Having a appointed upper house before making know the reforms is a dangerous proposition.

Obviously you can't see that the present and past military governments are the common denominator that has held any semblance of democracy out of reach for over 70 years. The sooner this country reduces the size of it's military personnel by 50% ie. a figure commensurate with it's global needs and then bans it from interfering in politics, the sooner long term political stability can be achieved. Sadly, the 'influential' power players in LOS have been able to use the military to serve their own political/personal agendas. IMHO the Thai military does not act in defence of the country or all of it's citizens. It exists to serve the persons of 'influence', and I don't see this changing at all in my lifetime.

actually the events that I am aware of have been caused by a sitting elected government going rogue or a face saving ex convicted criminal using his money to fuel an uprising and causing a huge section of the people to take to the streets, the military have always been a last resort when it reaches the brink

some very simple constitutional changes would have prevented the last elected government from even attempting Thaksins amnesty, if certain self centered power abusing people would leave the political landscape for good then we might just see a change

actually the events that I am aware of have been caused by a sitting elected government going rogue or a face saving ex convicted criminal using his money to fuel an uprising and causing a huge section of the people to take to the streets, the military have always been a last resort when it reaches the brink

some very simple constitutional changes would have prevented the last elected government from even attempting Thaksins amnesty, if certain self centered power abusing people would leave the political landscape for good then we might just see a change

" if certain self centered power abusing people would leave the political landscape for good then we might just see a change"

I agree, the junta should resign immediately.

" if certain self centered power abusing people would leave the political landscape for good then we might just see a change"

you are twisting what I said, I fully expect that from you

you are twisting what I said, I fully expect that from you

How is what I said "twisting" what you said?? I fully agree with you, and since instigating a coup against an elected government and tearing up the constitution is pretty much the ultimate power abuse the Thai military should leave politics for good.

THEN we might see a change.

How Alongkorn has changed since he been recruited into the NRSA. He talk so much about electability reform when he was Dem Party deputy party chief and now he has totally do a 360 and support non electable military senators. Powers can do strange thing to anyone. I doubt he even know what measures has been decided. In fact no one knows. Having a appointed upper house before making know the reforms is a dangerous proposition.

Well.......the promise of untold wealth can change even the best mind...........!

Such niaivity is pretty scary. Wherever you come from the people hire and fire govts, good or bad via the ballot box. How dare you think that the Thais should be deprived of the same rights and privileges which you have had. Democracy is democracy is democracy.

"Mr. Alongkorn said that, personally, he views the senate appointment system as a universal practice, not an example of the use of special powers."

Can he give examples of where this "universal practice" is practiced?

"He added that, if any political group has any proposals deemed better, they should quickly submit them with the Constitution Drafting Commission."

Just make sure these political groups don't get together in a group of five or more to discuss their proposals. There's a ban on such gatherings.

"A well written constitution and strong measures enforced by powerful agencies to wipe out corruption and enforce the law would be a good start."

You ignore the military's poor track record when it comes to writing constitutions, it's history of appalling corruption, and the manner in which the army puts itself above the law.

"There are too many self appointed private power mongers in this country who appointed themselves..."

A bit redundant, and an over-count. Currently there is only General/Coup Leader/PM Prayuth.

"...and I'm not talking about the current government..."

Are you sure? It certainly fits the description.

"...who seem to be the only possible way to achieve stability,..."

They achieve stability at gunpoint.

"...everything else in the past has failed"

Actually the only thing tried in the past has been military coups whenever it suited the military. They haven't tried letting democratic government stay in power for a few elections cycles to give it a chance to mature.

having seen this post and your other replies, I am sure that there must be someone from the junta near by ... just run out and give 'em a hug.

You'll feel better right away...

Archived