Southern separatists condemned for using hospital and patients as shield

webfact

Southern separatists condemned for using hospital and patients as shield

198-wpcf_728x410.jpg

NARATHIWAT: -- The Internal Security Operations Command has condemned southern militants for using a hospital, medical staff and patients as a shield during a firefight with members of the security force in Narathiwat’s Cho-airong district Sunday afternoon.

ISOC spokesman Colonel Pramote Prom-in told a press conference on Monday that members of the security force were fully aware of the presence of a group of militants in the Cho-airong district hospital and exercised restraint in their reactive response to the militants’ gunfire for fear that medical staff and patients might be harmed.

He said that some of the militants dressed like paramilitary rangers and managed to mingle with civilians in entering the hospital without causing suspicion.

The militants attacked an outpost next to the hospital with M79 grenades and automatic gunfire wounding at least seven defenders. They later escaped toward a mountain behind the hospital.

Colonel Pramote said the army chief, General Thirachai Narkvanich had expressed deep concern with the hospital’s siege by militants on Sunday and instructed security forces to step up security at the hospital and to hunt down the militants.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155013

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-15

using civillians as a shield is pretty pathetic especially when they are hospital staff and patients, these terrorists expect the same people to treat them and their families but show no respect for them by doing this. This shows just how low these people are, they have no regard for anyone at all, way past time the govt put a price on their heads for anyone to collect by producing their bodies, issue a death sentence on any and all terrorists, once they start getting killed more often watch these cowardly bastards run and hide, they only kill others when they know they are not going to be killed themselves which is typical of these types of people, when they are the ones getting killed its a different ball game.

Agree that using hospitals and completely defenseless patients is pathetic, but it still seems a little ridiculous to be thinking in terms of what tactics are or are not acceptable when conducting terrorist attacks. It's a bit like ranking the least & most offensive ways to murder people. Some things really are black and white with no happy medium.

It is also pretty pathetic of the Thai military to also use civillians as a shield especially when they are hospital staff and patients - by placing a paramilitary outpost next to a hospital.

The military know they and their paid paramilitary are insurgent targets. But by maintaining a paramilitary outpost next to a hospital begs collateral damage by the insurgents who attack the outpost. If the military insists on camping next to hospitals it must be responsible for protecting the civilians in the hospitals.

Thai military failure here.

they call them militants? Let me guess, they are really muslim extremists and terrorists but Thailand doesn't want any bad publicity?

Standard operating procedure for the religion of peace to use a hospital as a hiding place, or place to launch your attacks, as well as using human shields.

So sick of these scumbags.

Oh dear, 5 posts in and already we have BS from those blaming the military for this action and the other extreme saying this is how Muslims act and best of all an attempt to link redshirt actions to this.

My oh my, just depressing really.

This was an action carried out by scum prepared to endanger civilians. They are to blame alone, not the military, not Islam and not the redshirts.

• 2 months later...

Oh dear, 5 posts in and already we have BS from those blaming the military for this action and the other extreme saying this is how Muslims act and best of all an attempt to link redshirt actions to this.

This was an action carried out by scum prepared to endanger civilians. They are to blame alone, not the military, not Islam and not the redshirts.

So the separatists are separatists, and using terrorist tactics, for some reason other than Islam?? What might that be? Better roads? Paid maternity leave? A new football stadium?

So the separatists are separatists, and using terrorist tactics, for some reason other than Islam?? What might that be? Better roads? Paid maternity leave? A new football stadium?

Independence from the occupying power...

You know, the one that took over their country...

Not too tricky to work out, unless, ha ha, you just want it to be faith.

Yes, absolutely nothing to do with religious differences. Right. thumbsup.gif

Leading insurgent groups:

BRN-C: leaders are mainly Salafi religious leaders; recruits from mosques & Islamic schools; aim is to make southern Thailand ungovernable

PULO: originally a nationalist secular movement, but since 2001 has experienced a widespread imposition of Salafi norms

RKK: armed wing of the BRN-C

GMIP: increasingly hard-line Islamic political goals; Al-Qaeda sympathizer (supports the idea of a world Caliphate, etc.)

BBMP: broke away from BBNP due to a more overt Islamist ideology

Yeah, pretty tricky to work out alright, but I have faith that you can do it.

BRN-C: leaders are mainly Salafi religious leaders; recruits from mosques & Islamic schools; aim is to make southern Thailand ungovernable

PULO: originally a nationalist secular movement, but since 2001 has experienced a widespread imposition of Salafi norms

GMIP: increasingly hard-line Islamic political goals; Al-Qaeda sympathizer (supports the idea of a world Caliphate, etc.)

It is not a faith based conflict and to label it so is to disguise the real reasons for it and impede any solution.

Yes the two sides have different faiths, but that is not what brought this conflict about.

Unless that fact is grasped, understood and acted upon this conflict will never be resolved.

You do understand that the Malay-Thais in the South were originally part of an Islamic caliphate before their forced annexation into the Kingdom of Thailand? And for decades since then the Thai military has conducted a suppression campaign for integration into Thailand's Buddhist traditions and culture.

Regional autonomy would seem the solution to the conflict but the Thai military considers such a solutlon violation of Thai sovereignty. And that's basically why the RTM has never gotten insurgents to peace talks. It's about political and cultural domination.

You do understand that the Malay-Thais in the South were originally part of an Islamic caliphate before their forced annexation into the Kingdom of Thailand? And for decades since then the Thai military has conducted a suppression campaign for integration into Thailand's Buddhist traditions and culture.

Regional autonomy would seem the solution to the conflict but the Thai military considers such a solutlon violation of Thai sovereignty. And that's basically why the RTM has never gotten insurgents to peace talks. It's about political and cultural domination.

"You do understand that the Malay-Thais in the South were originally part of an Islamic caliphate before their forced annexation into the Kingdom of Thailand? And for decades since then the Thai military has conducted a suppression campaign for integration into Thailand's Buddhist traditions and culture."

Originally part of an Islamic caliphate? 'Campaign to force integration with Thai Buddhist tradition & culture? Sure sounds "faith-based", and all about religious differences, to me! Muslims around the world have pretty much proven that they are congenitally unable to assimilate wherever they are. ...Or even to get along with themselves. All because of their absolute intolerance of and inability to coexist with a-n-y other religious tradition or culture. The violence that inevitably springs up is self-inspired, if not even self-imposed. The nonsense about Islam being a "religion of peace" is purely for consumption by the naïve, soft-headed, and pathologically pacifist-at-any-cost afflicted.

Archived