BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Kind-hearted beggar who donated over 1 mil baht to a temple is now out of the temple

A kind-hearted beggar who once donated over 1 million baht to a temple is now out of the temple

200-wpcf_728x409.jpg

NAKHON PATHOM: -- An elderly beggar who earlier donated more than one million baht of his savings from begging to Wat Rai Khing has been expelled from the temple where he took refuge for several decades.

The beggar, Mr Iam Kampeeranont or Uncle Iam, is now living alone at a small room in front of the temple in Nakhon Pathom province thanks to the support of the social development and human security office.

An official of the office said that the office has not abandoned Uncle Iam but he is now having difficulty to make a living because he is sick and can hardly help himself.

The official who declined to be named admitted that he didn’t know why Uncle Iam was expelled from the temple.

However, another official said that Uncle Iam was removed from the temple because of the government’s new policy banning begging on temple grounds.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/155026

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-15

Despite his inherent infirmary - his generosity and kind spirit renders his face still youthful looking - there is hope for humanity after allthumbsup.gif

After having made this substantial donation, I would have thought that he would be under the care of the monks,all being good Buddhists of course, and thus there would be no need for him to beg.

Two things bugs me here, the fact that a beggar has a million baht, and that a temple that got said money

has thrown the man out on his ass just because he's unable to look after himself, there are many 'whys' that

beggars to be asked here......

Food for thought when one donates money to any organization.

Food for thought when one donates money to any organization.

There may well be food for thought but it doesn't look as if Mr Iam saw too much of the food.

A million baht! That should have bought him a lifetime of being cared for by the temple, whether he continued to beg for money, or not. It just goes to show what Thai Buddhism stands for. It surely was not meant to be this way. I would bet money they are throwing the food he normally ate to the dogs who scavenge their. What a shame this man had no forethought to use that million on a younger woman and a house so he had a place to live and a woman to take care of him until he dies.

So contrary to some popular horror stories old uncle lam not only wasn't under the control of some insidious gang but also managed to accrue a million baht. Nice going uncle pity all your merit making couldn't secure you a spot in the temple. Absolutely disgraceful performance by the way.

Two things bugs me here, the fact that a beggar has a million baht, and that a temple that got said money

has thrown the man out on his ass just because he's unable to look after himself, there are many 'whys' that

1 million baht over 70 years is not a lot of money to earn even for a beggar

It neither stated it was his life savings or in fact even all his savings

"The official who declined to be named admitted that he didn’t know why Uncle Iam was expelled from the temple"

Ooh, please sir, please sir, I know the answer to this one...

You try it

So contrary to some popular horror stories old uncle lam not only wasn't under the control of some insidious gang but also managed to accrue a million baht. Nice going uncle pity all your merit making couldn't secure you a spot in the temple. Absolutely disgraceful performance by the way.

Hopefully his kindness has secured a better future for him in the next life.

It sounds to me like he gave the money to the temple and then became a beggar, which would make more sense. The word 'several' doesn't mean 'seven' ie seventy years. So I reckon 30-40 years.

My take on it would be the man ran out of money and was of no use to the monks any more so they kicked him out.