BANGKOK 19 June 2019 05:33
ricku

So, is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand? Or not?

I'm thinking about spending the second part of my current Thailand trip away from Thailand, and go to Cambodia.

Cambodia seems interesting.. Weed is pretty much semi-legal, the girls seems friendlier than thai girls, e.t.c.

But there is one thing that I just have to ask.. Is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand or is it cheaper?

I've been trying to find some answers on this, but all I found was endless discussions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Well then I guess the price difference i kinda innsignificsnt, since I'll only be staying for a short period.

Sheryl, I appreciate your input, but by 'semi-legal' i meant following:

Legal to posses if used for cooking / eating.

Police does not really care, as long as you don't go around segling it. (Dealing).

Illegal to Smoke, but who knows if you are planning to eat or smoke it?

Just look at all the 'Happy Pizza' joints and bars selling 'happy shakes.' Food and drinks, stuffed with marijuana, sold legally.

• Like 2

I've been living in Phnom Penh for the last three months and can compare it to Bangkok. PP is cheaper in every way except food. Western food that is. If you can eat Khmer then you're golden. But it just can't compare with Thai food. I've been learning to eat it via a KGF who is a good cook. But it's been a long, slow adjustment. It's an acquired taste.

A trip to a Lucky's or Bayon supermarket for western goods can send you into sticker shock real quick.

post-195786-1458063150294_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

SHV will be cheaper than Pattaya and PP will cost you less than BKK. Siem Reap stands a bit out as there is not really a comparable town in Thailand. If you drink alcohol, your wallet will be happy.

I've been living in Phnom Penh for the last three months and can compare it to Bangkok. PP is cheaper in every way except food. Western food that is. If you can eat Khmer then you're golden. But it just can't compare with Thai food. I've been learning to eat it via a KGF who is a good cook. But it's been a long, slow adjustment. It's an acquired taste.

A trip to a Lucky's or Bayon supermarket for western goods can send you into sticker shock real quick.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458063147.928389.jpg

It really depends what you buy. Marmite in Cambodia was half the price that it is in Thailand, for example. Cheese is way cheaper (though often not as good) in Cambodia than Thailand. And so on... my week's shopping in Cambodia including cigarettes was about $100 in Angkor Market, Lucky Market, Pencil or Bayon. In Thailand it's about $100 without the cigarettes. Either way - it's really not the end of the world.

Agree that Khmer food isn't Thai food and that Khmer food is, in general, the worst in Indochina too (though I find it a close run thing with Laos).

• Like 2

I'd given up on Phnom Penh and haven't been back this year. But once I accepted the idea of living in the Tuol Tom Poung (Russian Market) area, which is developing slowly but surely in terms of restaurants and bars now, I'm gradually thinking about moving back there from Bangkok. 

I'd only moved back to BKK from outside Pattaya three months ago. What a price shock! Everything from resto meals to supermarket groceries to transit has gotten very  expensive. My transport bill jumped from 550 baht a month in Pats to over 4,000 baht. My bar bills soared 30% to 50% because of the higher prices -- Black Label was about 110 baht in Pats, but is 160 to over 200 in BKK. Was recently in a new craft beer bar. An import beer was 250 baht, plus VAT and SC. Total 300 baht/$9US for a 12oz/330ml glass! I'd done some paper numbers but the shock hits you when you're going to the ATM and taking out 50% more every transaction compared to Pattaya.

As a smoker in Thailand, 125 baht a pack is way over the Cambodian price of $1.50/50 baht.

I've spent a lot of time trawling the PP property rental pages recently. Rents seem to be visibly coming down. Some properties with certain features used to be listed at $500-$550, even $600 a month are now down to $400 to $450. Some posted places have updated comments dropping the rent. Reading those rental pages used to scare me off, now it's not so bad. 

But prices aren't everything in decisions about where to live. I miss PP and the people I knew who are still there. Hope to be back before the end of the year.

• Like 2