So, is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand? Or not?

ricku

Food might be more expensive in the tourist areas (Siem Reap), but I thought the quality was better than similar items in Thailand. Bread is awesome, a sandwich from a street vender is a dollar (32 baht). Alcohol is cheaper by a bunch. Overall Cambodian food seemed bland compared to Thai food, some of the BBQ was pretty good.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Food might be more expensive in the tourist areas (Siem Reap), but I thought the quality was better than similar items in Thailand. Bread is awesome, a sandwich from a street vender is a dollar (32 baht). Alcohol is cheaper by a bunch. Overall Cambodian food seemed bland compared to Thai food, some of the BBQ was pretty good. 

I agree, although the quality of food in Thailand is just as good for many items really depends what we're talking about and where you go. Obviously you can't compare the quality of the food at the Big C food court with restaurants located on Siem Reap's pub street. The latter is naturally much better but once you get out into the Cambodian suburbs and countryside, the quality of the food becomes pretty sub-par, unlike in Thailand where you can find great food at coffee shops and restaurants even in the most out of the way places, like a rural village in Lamphun province for example.

I like Blue Pumpkin, nice bakery and restaurant with food quality that is on par with similar establishments in Thailand. Prices are average. I try to go there at least once on every visit to either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh.

Its the French food I go for when I visit Cambo, not Khmer. Fresh baguettes, the French resturants offer quality and much cheaper than similar restaurants in Thailand.

Whenever I go to Big C in Surin I see loads of white Toyota Land Cruisers with Pnomh Penh license plates. That says it all how expensive grocery and other shopping must be in Cambodia. I doubt they come to Surin for sightseeing.

1 minute ago, Dario said:

Whenever I go to Big C in Surin I see loads of white Toyota Land Cruisers with Pnomh Penh license plates. That says it all how expensive grocery and other shopping must be in Cambodia. I doubt they come to Surin for sightseeing.

Its quite probably they came from Cambodia to shop in Thailand, because some goods arent available in Cambodia , and not because its cheaper

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its quite probably they came from Cambodia to shop in Thailand, because some goods arent available in Cambodia , and not because its cheaper

Its amazing how backwards Cambodia still is. for example I like gardening but strangely you cant buy potting mix or fertilizer etc in Phnom Penh. And sadly because the government, and its wonderful by the way, receives its money from China etc rather then by taxing its own economy it has no interest in what happens at street level, as long as they arent protesting. Theres not even a google translate for Khymer yet so most Cambodians have no access to interent or outside media and no idea what goes on in the rest of the world, or their own country for that matter

20 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Its amazing how backwards Cambodia still is. for example I like gardening but strangely you cant buy potting mix or fertilizer etc in Phnom Penh. And sadly because the government, and its wonderful by the way, receives its money from China etc rather then by taxing its own economy it has no interest in what happens at street level, as long as they arent protesting. Theres not even a google translate for Khymer yet so most Cambodians have no access to interent or outside media and no idea what goes on in the rest of the world, or their own country for that matter

Google translate HAS Khmer, I use it all the time.

And you can certainly buy fertilizer, both organic and chemical in PP (need to go to the outskirts to get it though). I don't know re potting mix.

Internet access nowadays is pretty widespread. Everyone in urban areas, most youth at elast in rural areas, log on at least occasionally. Internet is much cheaper in Camb than in Thailand. Cambodians are very big fans of Facebook.

I find Cambodians to be pretty well informed, certainly more so than rural Thais, regarding world affairs, and they certainly know what is going on in their countries. Lots of rumor spreading though, likewise courtesy of facebook.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Google translate HAS Khmer, I use it all the time.

And you can certainly buy fertilizer, both organic and chemical in PP (need to go to the outskirts to get it though). I don't know re potting mix.

Internet access nowadays is pretty widespread. Everyone in urban areas, most youth at elast in rural areas, log on at least occasionally. Internet is much cheaper in Camb than in Thailand. Cambodians are very big fans of Facebook.

I find Cambodians to be pretty well informed, certainly more so than rural Thais, regarding world affairs, and they certainly know what is going on in their countries. Lots of rumor spreading though, likewise courtesy of facebook.

as far as i know google doesnt have voice translation for khmer, you can speak or type english and get a written khmer translation, but you cant translate spoken kymer or have the translation speak in kymer, and I meet quite a few khmers that cant read or write so its no help for them. I could be wrong, maybe its updated now.  I agree with what your saying, just mean that its not easy for khmers. 

there are plenty of apps in google play store for English- Khmer

spoken and written.

i  have one on my tablet and my Khmer gf  understands the spoken

write in english- read it in Khmer and hear it spoken in Khmer and vis vis

Just back from a long trip thru Thailand/Cambodia by road,  i find the locals in Cambodia outside the main areas as clueless about everything as the Thai's are

Both are addicted to FB an social media

On 8/13/2018 at 9:38 AM, phuketrichard said:

there are plenty of apps in google play store for English- Khmer

spoken and written.

i  have one on my tablet and my Khmer gf  understands the spoken

write in english- read it in Khmer and hear it spoken in Khmer and vis vis

Just back from a long trip thru Thailand/Cambodia by road,  i find the locals in Cambodia outside the main areas as clueless about everything as the Thai's are

Both are addicted to FB an social media

Ive discovered google translate does do voice in khmer but you have to use the website in a browser, the app doesnt do it for some reason

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2016 at 12:34 AM, Lex Talionis said:

I've been living in Phnom Penh for the last three months and can compare it to Bangkok. PP is cheaper in every way except food. Western food that is. If you can eat Khmer then you're golden. But it just can't compare with Thai food. I've been learning to eat it via a KGF who is a good cook. But it's been a long, slow adjustment. It's an acquired taste.

A trip to a Lucky's or Bayon supermarket for western goods can send you into sticker shock real quick.

post-195786-1458063150294_thumb.jpg

55555 That is insane! I remember when you could get a bottle of French wine for $1.50, Imported cheese for $1.25, French baguettes 5 for one dollar, one liter of Bombay Blue Sapphire Gin for 8 Dollars, a flat on the River for $150 a month, street food and fruit for 500 Riel, moto or tuk tuk across the entire city for 1000 Riel, new silk shirts for 2 dollars at Central Market, massage for 5,000 Riel an hour, box of Valium for $1.50, rent a house for $100 a month, root canal for 5 dollars, cavity fill for 3. Safe to say those days are gone for good..........

On 8/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, balo said:

Its the French food I go for when I visit Cambo, not Khmer. Fresh baguettes, the French resturants offer quality and much cheaper than similar restaurants in Thailand.

How odd, I'm always in the Indian restaurants. Bread rolls I can make better myself.

Khmer curries aren't bad either, more peanuts and coconut milk, less chilli than the Thai curries.

I am not a fan of Cambodia and I didn’t notice it to be any cheaper than Thailand.

PP i was there just 18 Months ago and find it an horrible City it has nothing i like.

Sihanoukville i was there 10 years ago 

I did like it there but apparently in meanwhile  it has been demolished by Chinese money.

• 1 month later...

i have been looking to move to Cambodia at the end of this year, rental condos seem pretty expensive and ones with pools are few and far between, looking at S R, i am paying 9000 baht in Jomtien one bed condo 45 sq m with sea views  a pool and gym is there anything comparable in S R. i did ask on a Cambodia,site dont seem a very chatty lot, no help at all, and as to moving, i cannot be the first person to move from thailand to Cambodia surely

27 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i have been looking to move to Cambodia at the end of this year, rental condos seem pretty expensive and ones with pools are few and far between, looking at S R, i am paying 9000 baht in Jomtien one bed condo 45 sq m with sea views  a pool and gym is there anything comparable in S R. i did ask on a Cambodia,site dont seem a very chatty lot, no help at all, and as to moving, i cannot be the first person to move from thailand to Cambodia surely

"  Cambodia,site dont seem a very chatty lot"

Probably too stoned to talk much, there is a huge drug culture in Cambo and all the pothead expats made a beeline for cheap pot and lawlessness suits them fine

There is no mystery, 9k gets you a nice seaview in Jomtien, the same will get you a 3 storey walk up with bars on the windows in Cambo

I did not notice Cambo is cheaper than Thailand.

I also don't particularly  like it there. 

I been several time to various “popular” cities.

5 years ago was in PP saw them making a highway flyover coming from airport.

Last year had to go again they were still working on that simple flyover maybe its ready in 3 more years.

i think it will be their first flyover in Cambodia kinda says it all.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

5 years ago was in PP saw them making a highway flyover coming from airport.

Last year had to go again they were still working on that simple flyover maybe its ready in 3 more years.

i think it will be their first flyover in Cambodia kinda says it all.

Good points.

I do not think it is cheaper.

Also, they are still working on that flyover so who knows add the overall infrastructure is nothing compared to here.

It is a third world place and a big downgrade in lifestyle from Thailand.

Seems sad if people need to lower their life quality and settle for that environment..

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Good points.

I do not think it is cheaper.

Also, they are still working on that flyover so who knows add the overall infrastructure is nothing compared to here.

It is a third world place and a big downgrade in lifestyle from Thailand.

Seems sad if people need to lower their life quality and settle for that environment..

good point? its a flyover. not everyone gets emotional about them. 

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

It's a lot cheaper for beer swilling mongers.

Well maybe not cheaper, as you tend to just buy more.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, madmen said:

"  Cambodia,site dont seem a very chatty lot"

Probably too stoned to talk much, there is a huge drug culture in Cambo and all the pothead expats made a beeline for cheap pot and lawlessness suits them fine

There is no mystery, 9k gets you a nice seaview in Jomtien, the same will get you a 3 storey walk up with bars on the windows in Cambo

Should stay away from drugs in Cambodia. You can end up in trouble. They try to sell the backpacker crowd "cocaine" that is actually meth or heroin...  resulting in deaths. Their weed is usually very poor third rate harsh stuff.  Tuk tuk drivers have a scam going with the corrupt police.... they''ll sell you weed and then tell the nearby cops who will bust you and you have to pay a big "fine" or "tea money" to the cops to avoid going to jail, and then the cops split the fine with the tuk tuk drivers and give the weed back to the tuk tuk drivers for them to run the scam all over again. No... I didn't fall for the scam.... 

Just a little note.....  I saw the dope scam being operated in Siem Reap...(along with the "milk scam", and the sickening "sick kid" scam and others) and was offered dope more than once.  Avoid it....  they have good inexpensive beer there.  Why push your luck? ? 

On 6/28/2019 at 7:15 AM, Catoni said:

Should stay away from drugs in Cambodia. You can end up in trouble. They try to sell the backpacker crowd "cocaine" that is actually meth or heroin...  resulting in deaths. Their weed is usually very poor third rate harsh stuff.  Tuk tuk drivers have a scam going with the corrupt police.... they''ll sell you weed and then tell the nearby cops who will bust you and you have to pay a big "fine" or "tea money" to the cops to avoid going to jail, and then the cops split the fine with the tuk tuk drivers and give the weed back to the tuk tuk drivers for them to run the scam all over again. No... I didn't fall for the scam.... 

Just a little note.....  I saw the dope scam being operated in Siem Reap...(along with the "milk scam", and the sickening "sick kid" scam and others) and was offered dope more than once.  Avoid it....  they have good inexpensive beer there.  Why push your luck? ? 

never heard of that scam in PP, but admittedly all the drugs are crap, including the 50c beer if you ask me

Archived