So, is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand? Or not?

ricku

21 hours ago, my friend I said:

Siem Reap is the worst place in Cambodia. Maybe go more than a few miles from an international airport.

SR  is brilliant IF you go to see Angkor. Having said that, the town and old market area have some great bars /restaurants for  drinking and dining  - well they did id 2011!

I went with a lady so have no knowledge of the "nightlife" as such - if there is any.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have travelled all over Cambodia. You are  a joke on this website. All your posts are the opposite  of ever other persons experience. I guess living in a horrible tourist place like Phuket means you have to fill in your dull boring existence posting untruths on every forum in the region mocking anyone who dares to have a different idea with childish 5555s and lols.

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Cambodia has nothing to offer.. 

Hey hey, no you have to go...

Why I ask?... The beers are 50 cents.  You have to go man it is so great 50 cent beers!!

Stupidest nonsense I have ever heard for a reason to go to a place.

You are right it is a filthy nothing place with nothing to offer......but OMG 50 cent beers!!!!! hop on a plane now!

If you just stay in PP , you can get access to most things , cheap western food especially French , and of course the beers .  A part from that nothing is cheaper in Cambodia. Well maybe the girls are cheaper,  if you are a sexpat you will probably enjoy it. 

i have lived in cambodia 3 years now, and i estimate if i had lived this inactive in thailand 3 years i would have saved 500k baht extra compared to cambodia.

everyone is cheap with the meat in the food here, they are cheap with the meat in thailand too,
but its not as rotten as cambodia. i can not get below 8 dollar for a dish here with sufficient meat,
for sure i can get a dish cheaper than 320 baht in thailand with sufficient meat.
cambodia dont have quality mattresses, i have been in unbearable pain every second here,
god i hate this shithole with a burning passion

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i have lived in cambodia 3 years now, and i estimate if i had lived this inactive in thailand 3 years i would have saved 500k baht extra compared to cambodia.

everyone is cheap with the meat in the food here, they are cheap with the meat in thailand too,
but its not as rotten as cambodia. i can not get below 8 dollar for a dish here with sufficient meat,
for sure i can get a dish cheaper than 320 baht in thailand with sufficient meat.
cambodia dont have quality mattresses, i have been in unbearable pain every second here,
god i hate this shithole with a burning passion

I would like to applaud you for being truthful.

So many Thailand haters claiming Cambodia is so much better.

It is a total Shole.  But I guess some like that filth.

It is not cheaper whatsoever from what I have experienced.

Hey, come back here sometime you will be welcome..

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

yes, as soon as i turn 50, i can barely wait, i cant stand this shit any longer

On 3/15/2016 at 9:02 PM, ricku said:

Thanks for the info. Well then I guess the price difference i kinda innsignificsnt, since I'll only be staying for a short period.

Sheryl, I appreciate your input, but by 'semi-legal' i meant following:

Legal to posses if used for cooking / eating.

Police does not really care, as long as you don't go around segling it. (Dealing).

Illegal to Smoke, but who knows if you are planning to eat or smoke it?

Just look at all the 'Happy Pizza' joints and bars selling 'happy shakes.' Food and drinks, stuffed with marijuana, sold legally.

Sheryl is trying to give you a  thoughtful "heads up"       Your holiday could change in a New York minute if by odd chance you ran into trouble with a bit of pot  on ya.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:40 PM, bkk6060 said:

Different strokes it appears:

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50102547/sihanoukville-ranks-amongst-the-top-global-holiday-destinations-for-2018/

A person's needs and expectations are key.

We can live pretty simply, no problem.

I need AA meetings in English, a weight lifting gym, and brewed coffee. A pool or beach is always good.

From my research, PP rentals are generally cheaper than Bangkok.

Many things just don't compare between countries.

One thing I dislike are aggressive touts and tuk-tuk drivers and Cambodia has more of that, at least Siem Reap.

Thailand vs Cambodia? Not even worth comparing
Why are people comparing Phnom Penh to bangkok? Bangkok is a big vibrant city where you can get whatever you want. Phnom Penh is just a true 3rd world backwater town full of junkies due to it's drug culture.

I wouldnt even compare it to Pattaya
Which is far cheaper and way more interesting

Once I didn't need to get visas anymore I waved bye bye to Cambodia

2 hours ago, toughlove said:

Thailand vs Cambodia? Not even worth comparing
Why are people comparing Phnom Penh to bangkok? Bangkok is a big vibrant city where you can get whatever you want. Phnom Penh is just a true 3rd world backwater town full of junkies due to it's drug culture.

I wouldnt even compare it to Pattaya
Which is far cheaper and way more interesting

Once I didn't need to get visas anymore I waved bye bye to Cambodia

The lady time is what surprised me.

My first experience was downtown.  Lady said $25 which is not terrible, but I declined.

Walked by an hour later and she was shooting up in her arm..

Then the bars on the number streets.  Many asking for $50.  I can do 20 all day in Pattaya and 30 in Bangkok.

So, tell me I did not know what I was doing or where to go.  Went with a guy who had been there many times so whatever.

Will never return to the place.  A total filth S hole.  Why???  Maybe good for runaways, criminals and dudes hiding from something....

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 5:38 AM, bkk6060 said:

Why I ask?... The beers are 50 cents.  You have to go man it is so great 50 cent beers!!

You are right it is a filthy nothing place with nothing to offer......but OMG 50 cent beers!!!!! hop on a plane now!

I take it your moniker means that you live in Bangok,let me tell you that Phnom Penh is a thousand times more beautiful of a city than dirty,smelly old Bangkok.I lived in Bangkok for three years and hated it,just lived in PP for a year and it was fantastic with far better restuarants than Bangkok in BKK1,better as in much larger apartments for less money than Bangkok and way friendlier locals it is better in EVERY way!

On 1/21/2018 at 1:38 PM, bkk6060 said:

I still not going even if beer was for free in Cambodia.?

PP riverside is fine , if yo uonly stay in the city  but if you travel outside the city you discover a different Cambodia , not for the faint hearted.  Just not the same infrastructure as Thailand , and a lot of poor people around begging for money if they spot a westerner . 

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoy Cambodia.... but DO NOT buy weed or any other drugs from ANY tuk tuk or other ride hires or anyone else for that matter.  Yes.... it is "semi-legal"  for cambodians only... not for farangs.   (emphasis only.... not yelling.)

It's a scam set up with the police and you WILL be in shit.

Also, if you make a deal with a girl.... you better be sure she is adult age.  Or you will be paying off both the family and the police BIG time to avoid a third world prison.  You don't pay what they demand, you will be getting free room and board for an extended time, courtesy of the Kingdom of Cambodia government. In general population.

Oh... sure... they'll "probably" let you go... after you clean out your wallet and money belt for them and accompany them to the nearest ATM so you can pay them off even more.    The government and police are very corrupt.  There are all kinds of scams.  Pay attention to your common sense. The people in general are wonderful good people.   But they are stuck with very corrupt government, police and military. 

Not worth getting involved in dope or any other semi-criminal or criminal stuff in Cambodia...  Obey their laws and you will have a good and happy time. 

My humble opinion......   

On 2018-02-10 at 4:22 PM, balo said:

PP riverside is fine , if yo uonly stay in the city  but if you travel outside the city you discover a different Cambodia , not for the faint hearted.  Just not the same infrastructure as Thailand , and a lot of poor people around begging for money if they spot a westerner . 

Fascinating country.. Angkor Wat Archeological Park is simpy amazing and takes several days to see a reasonable amount of it.  But thirty years of war did horrible things to the country.  Cambodia is maybe forty years behind Thailand.   (Vietnam War, Khmer Rouge/Pol Pot war against the government, and genocide mass killing,  followed by invasion of 150,00 troops of the Vietnamese Army in yet another war to get rid of the Khmer Rouge)

A huge problem today is caused my massive corruption in the government, police and military.  Many in the government are former Khmer Rouge. 

I never saw more amputees than in the city of Siem Reap, (land mines),  and never saw more poverty then in the out of the way/off the tourist path villages in Cambodia..  But the people even in their poverty are very kind, wonderful people. No doubt what I've seen and experienced changed me forever...  I did what I could to help some families in a village.  

As you said... not for the faint hearted....  

8 hours ago, Catoni said:

Enjoy Cambodia.... but DO NOT buy weed or any other drugs from ANY tuk tuk or other ride hires or anyone else for that matter.  Yes.... it is "semi-legal"  for cambodians only... not for farangs.   (emphasis only.... not yelling.)

It's a scam set up with the police and you WILL be in shit.

Also, if you make a deal with a girl.... you better be sure she is adult age.  Or you will be paying off both the family and the police BIG time to avoid a third world prison.  You don't pay what they demand, you will be getting free room and board for an extended time, courtesy of the Kingdom of Cambodia government. In general population.

Oh... sure... they'll "probably" let you go... after you clean out your wallet and money belt for them and accompany them to the nearest ATM so you can pay them off even more.    The government and police are very corrupt.  There are all kinds of scams.  Pay attention to your common sense. The people in general are wonderful good people.   But they are stuck with very corrupt government, police and military. 

Not worth getting involved in dope or any other semi-criminal or criminal stuff in Cambodia...  Obey their laws and you will have a good and happy time. 

My humble opinion......   

not saying its untrue or bad advice but Ive lived in PP for 2 or 3 years and have never heard of any of these things happening

On 2018-02-26 at 9:43 AM, phycokiller said:

not saying its untrue or bad advice but Ive lived in PP for 2 or 3 years and have never heard of any of these things happening

I wasn't living in PP.....never even been there.  Maybe next time..  :) 

I was living in Siem Reap.   The tuk tuk drivers selling weed and "cocaine" (actually heroin) is very popular in the Pub Street tourist area... and they report you to the police.  The police will place you under arrest, return the dope to the tuk tuk driver to sell to the next fool, and then you can bribe them with a large amount of U.S. cash for the police to let you go. 

Just curious....do you have the "milk scam" in PP ?   I think most of these scams target obvious tourists there for a couple of days or a week or or two or three.  

After some time... I think the Khmer people can tell which ones of us are staying long term for months or years and don't bother us.    It's the obvious short term week or two tourists that are the targets for scams and criminal activity involving drugs and sex that they can hit up for big dollars to keep out of prison. 

Perhaps the scams and corrupt police are just concentrated in the Siem Reap area due to the Angkor Wat Archelogical Park..... which attracts many more tourists than PP.     But I would expect corrupt police also in PP simply due to overall corruption of the Cambodian government. 

3 hours ago, Catoni said:

I wasn't living in PP.....never even been there.  Maybe next time..  :) 

I was living in Siem Reap.   The tuk tuk drivers selling weed and "cocaine" (actually heroin) is very popular in the Pub Street tourist area... and they report you to the police.  The police will place you under arrest, return the dope to the tuk tuk driver to sell to the next fool, and then you can bribe them with a large amount of U.S. cash for the police to let you go. 

Just curious....do you have the "milk scam" in PP ?   I think most of these scams target obvious tourists there for a couple of days or a week or or two or three.  

After some time... I think the Khmer people can tell which ones of us are staying long term for months or years and don't bother us.    It's the obvious short term week or two tourists that are the targets for scams and criminal activity involving drugs and sex that they can hit up for big dollars to keep out of prison. 

Perhaps the scams and corrupt police are just concentrated in the Siem Reap area due to the Angkor Wat Archelogical Park..... which attracts many more tourists than PP.     But I would expect corrupt police also in PP simply due to overall corruption of the Cambodian government. 

nothing here really, they do have a tendency to scam but its simple stuff like giving the wrong change

On 10/02/2018 at 8:15 PM, Ai Hia said:

I take it your moniker means that you live in Bangok,let me tell you that Phnom Penh is a thousand times more beautiful of a city than dirty,smelly old Bangkok.I lived in Bangkok for three years and hated it,just lived in PP for a year and it was fantastic with far better restuarants than Bangkok in BKK1,better as in much larger apartments for less money than Bangkok and way friendlier locals it is better in EVERY way!

Absolute rubbish.

PP has it's charm , along the riverside.  It's small enough city to get around , unlike Bangkok.  I love the cheap French food  and baguettes. And local beer . People are friendly unlike in BKK, you get smiles most places.  

I could live there a year no problem , rest of Cambodia I don't think so . 

19 hours ago, balo said:

PP has it's charm , along the riverside.  It's small enough city to get around , unlike Bangkok.  I love the cheap French food  and baguettes. And local beer . People are friendly unlike in BKK, you get smiles most places.  

That's been my impression also when I visited PP for a week a couple years back. Stayed in the riverside area, hung out around there, grocery shopping, touring, going out for meals and generally looking around the city.

Cambodia the country certainly has its problems. But I've never quite understood why many posters here have such bad things to say about PP. I live in BKK and probably wouldn't move to PP as it's a bit too underdeveloped for my tastes. But does have certain advantages compared to BKK, such as those you mention above.

23 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe you have never heard of the BTS or MRT in Bangkok?? 

So, everyone is unfriendly in BKK?  Wow, seriously? Not from my experience at all. 

Anyway,  you want to spend a year there?  As you say you can eat cheap baquettes and drink some local beer.  Great, then what else?

Walk around the place and see all the drug addicts shooting up on the curbs?  That is what I saw and that is a quality life?

The place is filthy dirty no clean up or care for anything drug infested hole.

A filthy dirty lifestyle. 

No way Jose for me, but go for it if you like.......

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The place is filthy dirty no clean up or care for anything

In case you haven't noticed, that description increasingly also can apply to many areas of Thailand:

--raw sewage spilling onto beaches and directly into the ocean.

--cities and towns with garbage piling up and not disposed of properly.

--litter and debris dumped anywhere there's open space and never cleaned up.

etc. etc. etc.

Frankly, I didn't perceive PP to be any dirtier than many areas of Bangkok.

Archived