So, is Cambodia more expensive than Thailand? Or not?

ricku

give us the name of budget hotels in hanoi/hcmc

last visit it was like a stuck record $12 for what would be a 300 baht or less fan room in thailand.  was a few years ago now.

had a standard phrase for all the annoyers

"am leaving as fast as i can, i am very sorry i came here, i won.t come here again at all ever" yeah and did actually leave the country much faster than i had planned before hand

never lasted out a full visa in vietnam sometimes left within days hcmc is worst hanoi was not too bad for harassment in the street

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HowFatIsUrDog said:

if you have grown accustom to consuming many thai convenience store packaged drinks etc then cambodia will be more expensive for those things because bringing things across any thai border costs more than it should talking like 50% more from a minimart in PP compared to 7-11 in thailand, same for many fruits all seem imported from thailand and cost more.
overall i would say recently PP is more expensive for me than bangkok for instance, wasnt always that way.

I dont think so. PP is still about the same as Pattaya, quite a bit less then Bangkok. maybe a few things in 7/11 are cheaper

Top 3 priorities:

Sex

Food

Golf

All these are more expensive in PP then Pattaya and maybe BKK depending.

I was surprised how much golf was in the PP area.

Hotels are cheaper in PP then Pattaya, but not much for a decent place.

I don't like it much, but PP I guess is OK for a few days if you want to get away from Thailand.

Western food items (i.e. foods imported from the west)in my experience are less expensive than in Thailand. If comparing local foods, more expensive in Camb.

Meals at Western restaurants less expensive and much better quality/authenticity than in Thailand. But the Khmer equivalent of Thai street food is more expensive.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Western food items (i.e. foods imported from the west)in my experience are less expensive than in Thailand. If comparing local foods, more expensive in Camb.

Meals at Western restaurants less expensive and much better quality/authenticity than in Thailand. But the Khmer equivalent of Thai street food is more expensive.

yes was buying dutch uht milk, italian tinned legumes, tinned danish ham while in PP. i dont need to buy these things in thailand where yes they are more expensive if available at all. i figure they are coming over on the chinese freight trains then into vietnam.

also considerable variation in supermarket prices thai hout on monivong near central market being the cheapest, then bayon, then various lucky/giant as the most expensive and worst staff interaction experience. but lucky drink shop near thai hout is non aircon and reasonable priced. from thai hout tinned made in china australian branded "wild pink atlantic salmon" is also a good buy. not available in thailand. cambo cashews too.

havent eaten in western style restaurants for years anywhere in SEA. long being not my tastes anymore. oh and much more than i want to pay for a meal. often eat plastic bagged foods off the street where ever or street barbecued chicken or pork

chicken is much more expensive in cambo, while pork is much less expensive in cambo than in thailand

street duck in cambo is also cheap, cheaper than chicken but tastes like cardboard and a once one experience

On 6/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, bkk6060 said:

Much cheaper for what?

A youth hostel dorm and a can of beer?

Some semblance of a quality life is important to some people... 

Sure. Vietnam definitely offers a better quality of life than Cambodia though, while in turn Thailand offers more than Vietnam.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:10 PM, jimster said:

Sure. Vietnam definitely offers a better quality of life than Cambodia though, while in turn Thailand offers more than Vietnam.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_rankings.jsp?title=2018-mid&region=142

Rankings just out and it is noticeable that Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia and Vietnam.

like for like, when i on a rare occasion had the opportunity

to order richesse strawberry yogurt, it ended up at twice the price,

but in nearly all cases, i couldnt order so i just starved.

in like for nolike, cambodia food has almost no meat in it at all,

and no spices either, i had a very hard time surviving there,

and was mostly feeding on icecream/chocolate & cookies,

all the while i was so dizzy from the protein deficit

so i couldnt walk in a straight line,

9 hours ago, poanoi said:

like for like, when i on a rare occasion had the opportunity

to order richesse strawberry yogurt, it ended up at twice the price,

but in nearly all cases, i couldnt order so i just starved.

in like for nolike, cambodia food has almost no meat in it at all,

and no spices either, i had a very hard time surviving there,

and was mostly feeding on icecream/chocolate & cookies,

all the while i was so dizzy from the protein deficit

so i couldnt walk in a straight line,

thats the street food, some of it is pretty bad, but theres plenty of other places to buy food, even some of the street food is good

I always gain weight while in Cambodia because the food is so good - western food, that is, I too don't like the local cuisine. Though I have to disagree re the meat aspect, one of the main problems I have with local food is that meat ir (more often) fish is in every dish, and I'm vegetarian.

Foods I especially enjoy when in Cambodia:

Bagels

Salads from places like Vego - really good quality

Pizza

Special breakfasts like eggs benedict etc

Western food in Cambodia is of much better quality/authenticity than in Thailand and costs less.

But for me, a $5 meal (150 baht or so) is quite affordable. If you are looking for the equivalent of a 20-30 baht meal then I agree, hard to find.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I always gain weight while in Cambodia because the food is so good - western food, that is, I too don't like the local cuisine. Though I have to disagree re the meat aspect, one of the main problems I have with local food is that meat ir (more often) fish is in every dish, and I'm vegetarian.

Foods I especially enjoy when in Cambodia:

Bagels

Salads from places like Vego - really good quality

Pizza

Special breakfasts like eggs benedict etc

Western food in Cambodia is of much better quality/authenticity than in Thailand and costs less.

But for me, a $5 meal (150 baht or so) is quite affordable. If you are looking for the equivalent of a 20-30 baht meal then I agree, hard to find.

they need the fish because they have problems with mineral deficiencies,  especially children

i did keep harping on with pizza for most of my miserable life there,

only dish that was acceptable, but pizza is inherently protein poor,

an all my attempts to rectify meat deficit was fail.

i tried to feed on canned food, but it sux @ss,

and in addition it was cold since i couldnt heat the can in micro,

and cambodia rooms dont come with kitchen like they do in civilization.

i tried to rectify protein deficit with sausages in spite of sausages

not only isnt pure protein, but also cause it sux @ss like everything else in cambodia, and only on the odd occasion could i buy a mustard to go with the sausages.

whatever i tried to rectify meat deficit, it was not only a fail but an expensive fail, if i had lived that inactive in thailand, i would have saved 200k extra per year on top of eating & sleeping better.

i got fat in cambodia, not because anything was semi tasty,

but because i resorted to feed on chocolate & ice cream,

since they havnt got any nice food anyway, nor acceptable levels of meat.

cheap <deleted> gives 1 tea spoon of meat for a dish,

and on occasion forget to add any meat at all since its just for decoration anyway

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Empty can onto plate, place plate+food in microwave.

like i stated: cambodia shithole apartments dont come with kitchen, i.e sink,

so there is no plate, and demonstrably the shithole dont have food either, at least not with sufficient

meat to sustain healthy life

There is a Cambodian fish soup that is as good as any Thai dish. Only lightly spiced. But generally Cambodian food is fairly bland. Nowhere has food better than Thailand.

The price of local food is similar in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam but Cambodia gives the biggest serve.

Much cheaper in the countryside. I get squid straight off a boat on the Opal Coast for 50 cents a kilo.

theres plenty of those buffet barbecue type places like you get it Thailand where you can load up on meat. most apartments have kitchens. I think you just had a bit of bad luck. admittedly can can buy something like chicken fried rice in the street and its nothing but uneatable rice and soy source, its difficult to understand how they stay in business, but theres also lots of good street food too. in fact I might go downstairs and get a chicken marsala now which has plenty of chicken in it for $3

well, i started out with an apartment with kitchen,

but that place didnt have water if it didnt have electric,

(and cambodia dont have electric)

so after a year without water, my teeth started to shatter

since i couldnt even brush my teeth in the shithole.

the only western dish i would return to beside pizza / chocolate / ice cream / cookies was a chicken with french fries & ketchup.

i know it sounds like a sad state of affairs when a man would buy

a ketchup dish, and it was, but it was my only source of measurable protein intake.

if i had to chose from lifetime in a western prison,

or 6 month in cambodia, i will invariably serve lifetime prison,

the quality bed alone is worth the extra time

the only western dish i would return to beside pizza / chocolate / ice cream / cookies was a chicken with french fries & ketchup.
a ketchup dish, and it was, but it was my only source of measurable protein intake.
How long ago was this?

Electricity supply in Phnom Penh has been pretty reliable now for a number of years. The rare blackout usually lasts a few hours at most.

I had no trouble recently short term renting a 3 room apartment, air con, full kitchen, fully furnished and equipped for $250 a month and there were units for $200 as well but more flights up/not as nicely furnished. Utilities inc elect, water, internet averaged about $70 a month, that was using the a/c liberally.

I think either you did not know where to go/how to look or you were trying to live on an unrealistically low budget for Phnom Penh. One has to expect to pay for rent and utilities combined at least $320 a month (assuming you use the a/c)....which is about the same for a tiny apt in Bangkok, but PP version will be more spacious.

Pizza by the way is fine for protein content. Not to mention eggs are plentiful as are supermarkets with meat sections including some precooked meats.

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

you definitely had bad luck, unless you were here during the pol pot era

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

How long ago was this?

Electricity supply in Phnom Penh has been pretty reliable now for a number of years. The rare blackout usually lasts a few hours at most.

I had no trouble recently short term renting a 3 room apartment, air con, full kitchen, fully furnished and equipped for $250 a month and there were units for $200 as well but more flights up/not as nicely furnished. Utilities inc elect, water, internet averaged about $70 a month, that was using the a/c liberally.

I think either you did not know where to go/how to look or you were trying to live on an unrealistically low budget for Phnom Penh. One has to expect to pay for rent and utilities combined at least $320 a month (assuming you use the a/c)....which is about the same for a tiny apt in Bangkok, but PP version will be more spacious.

Pizza by the way is fine for protein content. Not to mention eggs are plentiful as are supermarkets with meat sections including some precooked meats.

yeah, they had eggs, but they didnt have caviar to go with the eggs,

and the butter was not only bitter, but also unspreadable if kept refrigerated.

i came back to civilization 3 months ago, after 3.5 years in the shithole.

my biggest gripe wasnt even the starvation,

it was the foam mattresses they are hellbent on,

i think i had more pain in 3,5 years in cambodia than sweden+thailand combined over 47 years.

just the first night in contact with the natives foam mattress made me almost paralyzed in pain,

i still havnt recover and dont think i ever will

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

yeah, they had eggs, but they didnt have caviar to go with the eggs,

and the butter was not only bitter, but also unspreadable if kept refrigerated.

i came back to civilization 3 months ago, after 3.5 years in the shithole.

my biggest gripe wasnt even the starvation,

it was the foam mattresses they are hellbent on,

i think i had more pain in 3,5 years in cambodia than sweden+thailand combined over 47 years.

just the first night in contact with the natives foam mattress made me almost paralyzed in pain,

i still havnt recover and dont think i ever will

the supermarkets sell better NZ butter then you can buy in NZ, but I can see your suffering, hope you get over it one day

On 6/27/2018 at 7:10 AM, jimster said:

Can elaborate on Thai -Vn differences?   Ive put in 6 yrs in Northern Thai and 6 weeks in Quy Khon VN.....which I liked.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, poanoi said:

i did keep harping on with pizza for most of my miserable life there,

only dish that was acceptable, but pizza is inherently protein poor,

an all my attempts to rectify meat deficit was fail.

i tried to feed on canned food, but it sux @ss,

and in addition it was cold since i couldnt heat the can in micro,

and cambodia rooms dont come with kitchen like they do in civilization.

i tried to rectify protein deficit with sausages in spite of sausages

not only isnt pure protein, but also cause it sux @ss like everything else in cambodia, and only on the odd occasion could i buy a mustard to go with the sausages.

whatever i tried to rectify meat deficit, it was not only a fail but an expensive fail, if i had lived that inactive in thailand, i would have saved 200k extra per year on top of eating & sleeping better.

i got fat in cambodia, not because anything was semi tasty,

but because i resorted to feed on chocolate & ice cream,

since they havnt got any nice food anyway, nor acceptable levels of meat.

cheap <deleted> gives 1 tea spoon of meat for a dish,

and on occasion forget to add any meat at all since its just for decoration anyway

#1 i dont eat buffalo meat

#2 i dont eat rice dishes again

#3 i dont cook and

#4 if i am to ever cook again, its for a dish i truly long for,

no kmer dish comes into the category i long for,

cambodia wont have the ingredients for any dish i long for

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

#1 i dont eat buffalo meat

#2 i dont eat rice dishes again

#3 i dont cook and

#4 if i am to ever cook again, its for a dish i truly long for,

no kmer dish comes into the category i long for,

cambodia wont have the ingredients for any dish i long for

if you cant find an apartment with a kitchen, water and electricity and you cant find a supermarket that sells western products you are either trolling or a complete loser

you are lying through your teeth,

the so called supermarkets in cambodia have nothing beside

candy/chocolate/cookies for sale,

and as for trolleys, theres no need for one,

none in his right mind would stock up on candy,

beside cambodia supermarket owners.

i dont think a single week in my over 3 stinking years there passed by without electric out

you are lying through your teeth,
the so called supermarkets in cambodia have nothing beside
candy/chocolate/cookies for sale,
and as for trolleys, theres no need for one,
none in his right mind would stock up on candy,
beside cambodia supermarket owners.
i dont think a single week in my over 3 stinking years there passed by without electric out
Absolutely untrue.

Sounds like you were never in any of the real supermarkets let aone any of the western specialty food stores.

I buy western foods in Cambodia to bring back to Thailand.

Archived